> Plans for central Newbury GP super surgery
Andy Capp
post Mar 10 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/plans-f...p-super-surgery

I read the following article and was somewhat amused by a comment made by Dr Anne-Marie Faulkner. She said: "...plans had been put on the walls of the surgeries several weeks ago, with patients given the chance to have their say, adding that they were not bound by NHS regulations to have a formal consultation process."

It seems it is not just our councils who are 'opinion adverse' with their limited disclosure of information! It seems you will only have notification if you have cause to visit the surgery in the last few weeks. Anyway, we should be lucky for any information we get as they are not bound to any formal consultation process. So there! tongue.gif

I suspect that the usual rules will apply that just like the Newbury College, it will be 'plonked' wherever they can fit it, and practical access will be low on the list of priorities. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 10 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Even so, good to know that they are reusing existing buildings rather than building anew. I seem to remember they tried to relocate once before on a green field site off Oxford Road. Arguably, parking is no more of an issue than it is if you use a Town centre dentist.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 10 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 10 2014, 01:36 PM) *
suspect that the usual rules will apply that just like the Newbury College, it will be 'plonked' wherever they can fit it, and practical access will be low on the list of priorities. rolleyes.gif

It's not going to be randomly 'plonked' anywhere. It's going to Strawberry Hill House. Yes, the lack of nearby parking could be a problem.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 10 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 10 2014, 02:01 PM) *
It's not going to be randomly 'plonked' anywhere. It's going to Strawberry Hill House. Yes, the lack of nearby parking could be a problem.

Are you so dour that you cannot recognise a flippant remark! rolleyes.gif Anyway, I didn't say 'randomly' and Strawberry Hill House has not been signed off yet so it still might not happen, so you cannot justifiably say 'it is going' anywhere, yet. wink.gif

It is not just parking, but accessibility too, things like bus stop routes are important as well. Northcroft Surgery also has a public car park just down from it, so there is no major drama about that either. However. the proposal is on a hill and some distance from the nearest public carpark.

Anyway, the point I was making is that it is another thing that will materially affect a number people where the body responsible are seeking to keep disclosure to a minimum, it seems.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 10 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 10 2014, 03:05 PM) *
Are you so dour that you cannot recognise a flippant remark! rolleyes.gif Anyway, I didn't say 'randomly' and Strawberry Hill House has not been signed off yet so it still might not happen, so you cannot justifiably say 'it is going' anywhere, yet. wink.gif

It is not just parking, but accessibility too, things like bus stop routes are important as well. Northcroft Surgery also has a public car park just down from it, so there is no major drama about that either. However. the proposal is on a hill and some distance from the nearest public carpark.

Anyway, the point I was making is that it is another thing that will materially affect a number people where the body responsible are seeking to keep disclosure to a minimum, it seems.

The GP's and Staff will usually require parking but as far as patients go so long as there is an adequate drop off and pick up point then that is all that is required. The problem is as you say if patients are not able to walk too far due to disability or illness then this can be cause problems if they are unable to arrange a lift or transport. Agree that all patients on the lists should have been notified and consulted, even if only for courtesy reasons, and not just put plans on the surgery wall? I have not visited my surgery for the last three years so I may have called and made an appointment and gone to the wrong address if not notified let alone consulted beforehand? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 10 2014, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Parking can't be an intractable problem, there is a public car park off London Road and the Waitrose car park very near too. I'm sure there will be special arrangements for the very few who are wholly immobile. As for the staff, well, they'll be in exactly the same position as most other town centre workers - what's wrong with that?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 10 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Strawberry Hill House has not been signed off yet so it still might not happen, so you cannot justifiably say 'it is going' anywhere, yet. wink.gif

You may well be right, but at the last Northcroft patients meeting the impression was given that it was a done deal. The detailed plans are well advanced in any case, so I don't think they'd have gone that far before sorting out the basic details of leasing the location.

As I said, parking at the new site may well present a problem. St. Mary's has its own car park and the multistorey is right next to Northcroft.

I don't see that publicising it in the local paper is keeping disclosure to a minimum. Apart from writing to every single patient, how else are they going to publicise it, short of the Town Crier marching round the town dinging his little bell? smile.gif

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 10 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 10 2014, 02:00 PM) *
Even so, good to know that they are reusing existing buildings rather than building anew. ..

The article says "purpose built" which implies either a new building or somewhere that was already a surgery! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 10 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Also there is a massive car park behind Strawberry Hill House, and I'm pretty sure it has it's own multi storey, it might only be two levels though.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 10 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 10 2014, 05:11 PM) *
The article says "purpose built" which implies either a new building or somewhere that was already a surgery! unsure.gif

I think they mean that the interior is being fitted out to suit the purpose. The shell is there already of course.

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 10 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Also there is a massive car park behind Strawberry Hill House, and I'm pretty sure it has it's own multi storey, it might only be two levels though.

Isn''t that part of Bayer next door?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 10 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 10 2014, 05:01 PM) *
I don't see that publicising it in the local paper is keeping disclosure to a minimum. Apart from writing to every single patient, how else are they going to publicise it, short of the Town Crier marching round the town dinging his little bell? smile.gif

You claim that plans are in an advanced stage, I suggest that any publicuity is down to people asking questions now, rather than through attempts to spread the word.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 10 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

If you mean Bayer, then that is not a public car park.

Where is the nearest bus stop? After all this place is at the top of a hill isn't it?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 10 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

No not Bayer, there is another car park which you can see either on Google earth, or next time you are on Strawberry hill look down the road turning nearest the top.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 10 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

It's more of a slope than a hill, but not going to worry a health conscious GP practice, all good exercise. Buses? Same ones the Waitrose customers use...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 10 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

This one!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  image.jpg ( 255.75K ) Number of downloads: 17

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 11 2014, 12:12 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 10 2014, 10:36 PM) *
It's more of a slope than a hill, but not going to worry a health conscious GP practice, all good exercise. Buses? Same ones the Waitrose customers use...

Being on top of a hill will do nothing to improve the fitness of its visitors, but the slope will give wheelchair pushers some exercise though! Actually, perhaps they should have a chin-up bar outside surgeries so to deny anyone that cannot successfully perform 10 on entry! tongue.gif

What Waitrose customer uses a bus! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 11 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 11 2014, 12:12 AM) *
Being on top of a hill will do nothing to improve the fitness of its visitors, but the slope will give wheelchair pushers some exercise though! Actually, perhaps they should have a chin-up bar outside surgeries so to deny anyone that cannot successfully perform 10 on entry! tongue.gif

What Waitrose customer uses a bus! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Mar 11 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

That car park is to service the tenants of Oxford Square and has an entry/exit barrier. The parking for Strawberry Hill House is limited to what is around the outside of it

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 11 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Mar 11 2014, 09:16 AM) *
That car park is to service the tenants of Oxford Square and has an entry/exit barrier. The parking for Strawberry Hill House is limited to what is around the outside of it

Probably 20 or so cars which is not unreasonable especially if they keep on time with their appointments. Not sure how many doctors would be on site at any one time though as they will need parking.
There may be a lot more parking around the back though. Not sure who owns that.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 11 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 11 2014, 06:33 PM) *
Probably 20 or so cars which is not unreasonable especially if they keep on time with their appointments. Not sure how many doctors would be on site at any one time though as they will need parking.

St Mary's has 5 doctors and Northcroft 6, and obviously not all there at the same time. However add on all the practice nurses and I think the 20 spaces would soon be used up. I get the impression that there won't be patient parking in any case.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:39 AM