Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Second referendum
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 6 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #1581

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Of course if anyone investigated "transparency international" an EU funded project that Jo Swinsons husband is a director of, and who earns 100x what she earns, they would be in real trouble....

Just saying....

https://nyebevannews.co.uk/swinson-fails-to...european-union/

Nothing to see here....no conflict of interest...whatsoever...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 7 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #1582

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 5 2019, 05:31 PM) *
Why have the older generation suddenly become "thick"?
Just wondered .. I mean the remainers keep wishing all people over a certain age to die..
In my mind, it's not the older generation, it's the baby boomers. And thick is unfair, more ignorant, but they a ren't all like that, just a huge chunk who refuse to move on like the rest of the world. I'm sure you could make sweeping statements about any generation though.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 7 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #1583

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 7 2019, 08:17 AM) *
In my mind, it's not the older generation, it's the baby boomers. And thick is unfair, more ignorant, but they a ren't all like that, just a huge chunk who refuse to move on like the rest of the world. I'm sure you could make sweeping statements about any generation though.

Hard as it may be to believe but I actually agree with you. I sometimes wonder how a good proportion of that demographic have managed to reach the age they have unscathed. Like you say non acceptance of progress is nothing new but in a modern world with complete access to information both factual and otherwise we should at least be able to debate a subject from a position of knowledge not bigotry.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 7 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #1584

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 7 2019, 08:17 AM) *

The main reason for criticism of the 'younger' generation is their steadfast refusal to accept that they don't know everything and that they themselves will always remain at the top of the knowledge heap. Every generation makes the same assumption and every generation is proven wrong. This one is no different.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 7 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #1585

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 7 2019, 05:14 PM) *
The main reason for criticism of the 'younger' generation is their steadfast refusal to accept that they don't know everything and that they themselves will always remain at the top of the knowledge heap. Every generation makes the same assumption and every generation is proven wrong. This one is no different.

Fnarr! I've just listened in at a pub quiz, the level of sheer ignorance at basic subjects amongst the young is both staggering and I might say, frightening.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Oct 8 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #1586

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2019, 12:03 AM) *
Fnarr! I've just listened in at a pub quiz, the level of sheer ignorance at basic subjects amongst the young is both staggering and I might say, frightening.

How are you defining young here? I do a pub quiz each week myself and I can assure you that my knowledge of basic subjects is not lacking.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 8 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #1587

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Oct 8 2019, 10:41 AM) *
How are you defining young here? I do a pub quiz each week myself and I can assure you that my knowledge of basic subjects is not lacking.

The table I sat next two had three guys about mid twenties, while not all younger people are quite so dense I'm sure, they can't be. But it did make the popular assertion that 'young bright, older stupid' that I read about sometimes particularly amusing.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Oct 8 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #1588

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2019, 12:10 PM) *
The table I sat next two had three guys about mid twenties, while not all younger people are quite so dense I'm sure, they can't be. But it did make the popular assertion that 'young bright, older stupid' that I read about sometimes particularly amusing.

"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates

It is for this very reason that I mostly keep my opinions to myself, especially when it concerns topics that I know very little or nothing about.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 8 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #1589

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Oct 8 2019, 03:48 PM) *
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates

It is for this very reason that I mostly keep my opinions to myself, especially when it concerns topics that I know very little or nothing about.

Was wondering why we do not see your comments on a regular basis. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Seriously though having just witnessed an "elderly" bloke alight from a bus and walk straight in front of it to cross a busy road I am of the opinion that age has very little to do with it. A thick 20 year old will probably be pretty damned obtuse by the time he is 70 but a bright 5 year old is only going one way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 8 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #1590

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 8 2019, 04:57 PM) *
Was wondering why we do not see your comments on a regular basis. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Seriously though having just witnessed an "elderly" bloke alight from a bus and walk straight in front of it to cross a busy road I am of the opinion that age has very little to do with it. A thick 20 year old will probably be pretty damned obtuse by the time he is 70 but a bright 5 year old is only going one way.

I treat young and old alike. Not much to ask is it?
Lumping anyone over 50 as an old thick brexiteer is lazy and unwarranted.
Likewise saying people under 25 haven't lived and know nothing is also lazy and unwarranted.
The young can learn from the old and the old can learn from the young.
And I dare say Boris can learn from Angela.🤣

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 8 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #1591

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Oct 8 2019, 03:48 PM) *

Unlike newres.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 8 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #1592

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 8 2019, 06:46 PM) *
I treat young and old alike. Not much to ask is it?
Lumping anyone over 50 as an old thick brexiteer is lazy and unwarranted.
Likewise saying people under 25 haven't lived and know nothing is also lazy and unwarranted.
The young can learn from the old and the old can learn from the young.
And I dare say Boris can learn from Angela.🤣

So, because you voted Brexit it doesn't mean you're automatically a thick gammon Nazi? That sort of thing? Umm, interesting concept, needs thought, I'll get back to you. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 8 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #1593

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2019, 07:32 PM) *
So, because you voted Brexit it doesn't mean you're automatically a thick gammon Nazi? That sort of thing? Umm, interesting concept, needs thought, I'll get back to you. laugh.gif

Well some may still think that leaving is the right thing to do and if we don't take this chance then we wont get another.
But those sorts of thoughts put you against the judiciary, the majority of politicians and the powers that be..
They really ought to get rid of this one person one vote malarkey if we don't Brexit to avoid a repeat. Just to make sure.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Oct 9 2019, 09:50 AM
Post #1594

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2019, 07:32 PM) *

No, not automatically.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 9 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #1595

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 8 2019, 09:49 PM) *
Well some may still think that leaving is the right thing to do and if we don't take this chance then we wont get another.
But those sorts of thoughts put you against the judiciary, the majority of politicians and the powers that be..
They really ought to get rid of this one person one vote malarkey if we don't Brexit to avoid a repeat. Just to make sure.

It must be obvious by now it's not gonna happen, Johnson had a good try and I admire him for it but the odds were always stacked against him.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Oct 9 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #1596

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 9 2019, 11:17 AM) *
It must be obvious by now it's not gonna happen, Johnson had a good try and I admire him for it but the odds were always stacked against him.

Wholly concur.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Oct 9 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #1597

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

And so the nightmare comes. The hellish coalition of LibDems and Labour in power for a couple of decades at least. Still, won't need to fly anywhere for a Greek holiday, you'll be able to have one here.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 9 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #1598

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Oct 9 2019, 07:31 PM) *
And so the nightmare comes. The hellish coalition of LibDems and Labour in power for a couple of decades at least. Still, won't need to fly anywhere for a Greek holiday, you'll be able to have one here.

Look on the bright side. We will have a Greek climate due to global warming and will be more suited to a "sedentary" lifestyle...🏝😂

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 9 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #1599

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 9 2019, 07:46 PM) *
Look on the bright side. We will have a Greek climate due to global warming and will be more suited to a "sedentary" lifestyle...🏝😂

Dear God, can you imagine it, going to work by donkey cart carrying a paper bag with cabbage sandwiches in it for your lunch! I might have to go join TM in France, my business will be seized and turned over to the people's committee to make bicycles with and anyone over the age of thirty will be sent for re-education and gender neutrality acceptance. Happy days.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 10 2019, 08:28 AM
Post #1600

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 9 2019, 11:36 PM) *
Dear God, can you imagine it, going to work by donkey cart carrying a paper bag with cabbage sandwiches in it for your lunch! I might have to go join TM in France, my business will be seized and turned over to the people's committee to make bicycles with and anyone over the age of thirty will be sent for re-education and gender neutrality acceptance. Happy days.

Ah the "brave new world" eh. Like the idea of commuting by donkey, has a certain rustic charm, and as they walk at the same pace as a man, one can converse with those lesser mortals who, though once had a range rover, now find themselves taxed into poverty and on foot.
The down side is I can't stand olives.

--------------------

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 78 79 80 81 82 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 AM