Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> CPR
newres
post Aug 13 2020, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,961

I'm going to share something quite personal with you. About 5 weeks ago I had a cardiac arrest just outside of a park in Newbury. I was given CPR immediately and very luckily by a passer by and I believe I was "dead" for about 35 minutes until the fifth shock from a paramedic's defibrillator revived me. I then spent 6 days in a coma in Basingstoke and now have an implanted defibrillator in case it happens again.

History wise, I had a heart attack at 45 but have run 20 miles a week since then, walk, cycle etc and eat healthily.

Today's my 57th birthday and I'm a pretty lucky bloke to be here. Only 8 out of 100 survive a Cardiac Arrest out of hospital.

I'm making a fantastic recovery & thanks to brilliant CPR the oxygen flowed through my body for that 1/2 hour so no after effects at all. No organ damage.

Worth watching the video if you don't know how to do it. One day you might save someone's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXPo7lNYzk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 13 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 13 2020, 12:51 PM) *
I'm going to share something quite personal with you. About 5 weeks ago I had a cardiac arrest just outside of a park in Newbury. I was given CPR immediately and very luckily by a passer by and I believe I was "dead" for about 35 minutes until the fifth shock from a paramedic's defibrillator revived me. I then spent 6 days in a coma in Basingstoke and now have an implanted defibrillator in case it happens again.

History wise, I had a heart attack at 45 but have run 20 miles a week since then, walk, cycle etc and eat healthily.

Today's my 57th birthday and I'm a pretty lucky bloke to be here. Only 8 out of 100 survive a Cardiac Arrest out of hospital.

I'm making a fantastic recovery & thanks to brilliant CPR the oxygen flowed through my body for that 1/2 hour so no after effects at all. No organ damage.

Worth watching the video if you don't know how to do it. One day you might save someone's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXPo7lNYzk

Wow..sounds like you were very lucky. Take it easy fella and don't worry about stuff. Its really not worth it. I am 51 and went in for a full MOT in January as I was getting palpitations. Heart was fine but they diagnosed other issues. We are all here for a very short time and although we all think we know best, we really are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (apart from to family members)..take care.

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 13 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 13 2020, 08:51 PM) *
Wow..sounds like you were very lucky. Take it easy fella and don't worry about stuff. Its really not worth it. I am 51 and went in for a full MOT in January as I was getting palpitations. Heart was fine but they diagnosed other issues. We are all here for a very short time and although we all think we know best, we really are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (apart from to family members)..take care.

We’re pretty insignificant. And when we’re gone, we’re gone.

The weird thing is I remember nothing at all of that day. I also had delerium for a couple of days after ICU and although I remember little, I know that my behaviour was very unpleasant. Despite my persona on here, I am generally extremely polite (except with annoying customers) and I’m embarrassed when I’m told of things I said and did.

But yes, I’m very lucky to still be here. And completely intact. No lasting damage at all.

I hope the “other stuff” diagnosed was nothing serious.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 13 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 13 2020, 09:08 PM) *
We’re pretty insignificant. And when we’re gone, we’re gone.

The weird thing is I remember nothing at all of that day. I also had delerium for a couple of days after ICU and although I remember little, I know that my behaviour was very unpleasant. Despite my persona on here, I am generally extremely polite (except with annoying customers) and I’m embarrassed when I’m told of things I said and did.

But yes, I’m very lucky to still be here. And completely intact. No lasting damage at all.

I hope the “other stuff” diagnosed was nothing serious.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed by me taking more care of myself. Sometimes we forget we are 50 something and still think of us as young men... I'm not overweight but did hit the bottle a bit after my Mum passed last year...nothing serious but was using it to sleep.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:11 AM