Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rats (The furry kind)
regor
post Mar 22 2014, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Over the last ten days or so i have seen rats in my back garden, a neighbour 100 yards away has shot some with an airgun and another has been putting down poison. i have laid baited traps (without success) and a local tom cat has had a couple.

Now the little pests have got in my garage and started eating ny seed potatos that were due for planting this week.

It has been suggested that the problem is that recent flooding has driven them from they old homes and they are seeking pastures new.

Anyone else aware of this problem?

What about the authorities? council? environment? anyone have responsibilities in this area of concern?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 22 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I am fairly sure that under normal circumstances, pest control is down to the individual. Maybe it's worth giving the council a call and seeing if the mitigating circumstances might mean that they help this time though?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 22 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Main thing is to minimise sources of food; not too easy if you are a keen gardener, feed birds or keep other animals. Council have given us some pretty good advice and have suggested local pest control firms. Mrs OtE is against poison, although she is all of the above, we've taken the long term approach and just kept round and about reasonably tidy, plus a judicious use of traps. Traps need to be baited 'unset' for a while, then when being used regularly, set it!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 22 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 22 2014, 11:13 AM) *
Main thing is to minimise sources of food; not too easy if you are a keen gardener, feed birds or keep other animals. Council have given us some pretty good advice and have suggested local pest control firms. Mrs OtE is against poison, although she is all of the above, we've taken the long term approach and just kept round and about reasonably tidy, plus a judicious use of traps. Traps need to be baited 'unset' for a while, then when being used regularly, set it!

I would agree with most of the above.
There are so many variables associated with vermin control. We NEVER use poisons or 'snap' traps due their indiscrimination. We do however, use cage traps. Bait it, place it and check it daily. We have had squirrels, blackbirds etc caught, in addition to rats. That way you get to filter your prey.
My main beef with poison is that you never know how successful you have been, or how much damage to other wildlife has been done.
We keep chickens, and of course the rat issue goes with it, so I use an air rifle with night vision to keep a check on the numbers.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 22 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 22 2014, 12:57 PM) *
... so I use an air rifle with night vision to keep a check on the numbers.

That sounds like fun!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 22 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Using poison seem pretty anti-social to me. What about other wild-life, domestic pets etc.? Can unlicenced people actually get hold of it?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 22 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 22 2014, 07:06 PM) *
Using poison seem pretty anti-social to me. What about other wild-life, domestic pets etc.? Can unlicenced people actually get hold of it?

You can buy rat poison from Scats, which comes in the form of either laced (and fluorescent dyed) grain.
Or, in a tablet form, much like a toilet block.
They are 'supposed' to be used in specially designed holders, like you see around buildings.

As you say, they can be indiscriminate and are, over time becoming less effective.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 22 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 22 2014, 12:57 PM) *
I would agree with most of the above.
There are so many variables associated with vermin control. We NEVER use poisons or 'snap' traps due their indiscrimination. We do however, use cage traps. Bait it, place it and check it daily. We have had squirrels, blackbirds etc caught, in addition to rats. That way you get to filter your prey.
My main beef with poison is that you never know how successful you have been, or how much damage to other wildlife has been done.
We keep chickens, and of course the rat issue goes with it, so I use an air rifle with night vision to keep a check on the numbers.

Good point about traps, must admit we use the snap ones at the moment, albeit under tiles, etc. we've never caught anything other than rats so far. However, might well look at cage traps when I get some replacements.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 23 2014, 09:42 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 22 2014, 08:49 PM) *
Good point about traps, must admit we use the snap ones at the moment, albeit under tiles, etc. we've never caught anything other than rats so far. However, might well look at cage traps when I get some replacements.

So far. I think the non-rats have been fortunate. I hope my cat never goes near your garden.

Some cage traps aren't much better either. I bought one from Scats a while ago to trap a mouse that my cat had brought indoors and lost. It went back when I found that the door closure was so vicious it would have killed the cat had she managed to trigger it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 23 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 23 2014, 09:42 AM) *
So far. I think the non-rats have been fortunate. I hope my cat never goes near your garden.

Some cage traps aren't much better either. I bought one from Scats a while ago to trap a mouse that my cat had brought indoors and lost. It went back when I found that the door closure was so vicious it would have killed the cat had she managed to trigger it.

The traps we use are hidden and not likely to be of interest to other creatures, in fact far less so than poisons, certainly tries liberally sprinkled round some commercial sites I know. Equally, I also hope your cat never gives near my garden, bird life is quite important too.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 23 2014, 06:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 23 2014, 02:33 PM) *
Equally, I also hope your cat never gives near my garden, bird life is quite important too.

Well, we shall never know since neither of us knows where the other lives. smile.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 23 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 22 2014, 08:49 PM) *

I use this : -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-International-...P/dp/B000QVSCH6

Much superior as it has a slide shut door with no spring pressure.
It's surprising how much a trapped rat can push when it has to. As the base is mesh, it'll get a good grip. Also, the spring will weaken over time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 23 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 23 2014, 06:57 PM) *
I use this : -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-International-...P/dp/B000QVSCH6

Much superior as it has a slide shut door with no spring pressure.
It's surprising how much a trapped rat can push when it has to. As the base is mesh, it'll get a good grip. Also, the spring will weaken over time.

Thanks for that, will give it a go.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 23 2014, 11:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

£11!! For a wire cage? Doesn't Toomers (or Barry Forkins or whatever it's called these days) do something similar but cheaper?

Although I must admit, with them being in an open wire cage it does make it easier to shoot them once they're in the thing.... or drown them.... or poke with sharpened bamboo stakes... and easier to check they're dead once you've done one of the above.
What will be your method of choice for despatching the vermin once they're 'humanely caught'? I'm genuinely interested as this was brought up at a party I was at a few years ago and I brought the conversation to an abrupt halt by pointing a minor flaw in what was being suggested at that time.... (Social hand grenade I am...... rolleyes.gif my wife hates it!! laugh.gif )

Someone in the group I was talking with had brought this up as a 'small talk' subject and there was general nodding in agreement about the problem that Ratty Rat can be...
"Well how do you kill the thing?" says I.
I was given an astounded look and the answer "You don't kill the rats you silly man! The whole point of having a humane trap is so that it isn't killed and you can release it into the wild.... I pop the trap in the car and take them off into the country and release them"
"I see... back into the wild.... Where they came from you mean?.." says I "So you're letting them loose for someone else to have as a problem and also giving your car a flea problem and letting it spray pee onto your car seat covers....... You DO realise that it's illegal to re-release live vermin in England don't you?"

... and that was the start of a lengthy awkward silence until someone thought of some other small talk subject... laugh.gif funny at the time (you had to be there and see who I was dealing with.... laugh.gif wink.gif )

(Since that party I've found out that I may have been talking bollox, as Siberian Hamsters can in fact be released according to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, but as I haven't seen the person I was talking to since, I would perhaps assume they drown rats they catch in buckets for fear of being caught releasing them... laugh.gif )

However if you catch a GREY Squirrel in said trap it IS illegal to re-release those beasties back into the wild and they should be killed.

This thread has however reminded me to dig an old Stranglers album out... and I'm reminded how bad the 'Rattus Norvegicus' dirge really was, though I loved it at the time...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 24 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

LOL, what a bunch of Margo Fonteyns you are.

we feed our rats. stops them doing things we dont want them to do. like most creatures......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 24 2014, 04:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 23 2014, 11:23 PM) *
£11!! For a wire cage? Doesn't Toomers (or Barry Forkins or whatever it's called these days) do something similar but cheaper?

Although I must admit, with them being in an open wire cage it does make it easier to shoot them once they're in the thing.... or drown them.... or poke with sharpened bamboo stakes... and easier to check they're dead once you've done one of the above.
What will be your method of choice for despatching the vermin once they're 'humanely caught'? I'm genuinely interested as this was brought up at a party I was at a few years ago and I brought the conversation to an abrupt halt by pointing a minor flaw in what was being suggested at that time.... (Social hand grenade I am...... rolleyes.gif my wife hates it!! laugh.gif )

Someone in the group I was talking with had brought this up as a 'small talk' subject and there was general nodding in agreement about the problem that Ratty Rat can be...
I was given an astounded look and the answer "You don't kill the rats you silly man! The whole point of having a humane trap is so that it isn't killed and you can release it into the wild.... I pop the trap in the car and take them off into the country and release them"
"I see... back into the wild.... Where they came from you mean?.." says I "So you're letting them loose for someone else to have as a problem and also giving your car a flea problem and letting it spray pee onto your car seat covers....... You DO realise that it's illegal to re-release live vermin in England don't you?"

... and that was the start of a lengthy awkward silence until someone thought of some other small talk subject... laugh.gif funny at the time (you had to be there and see who I was dealing with.... laugh.gif wink.gif )

(Since that party I've found out that I may have been talking bollox, as Siberian Hamsters can in fact be released according to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, but as I haven't seen the person I was talking to since, I would perhaps assume they drown rats they catch in buckets for fear of being caught releasing them... laugh.gif )

However if you catch a GREY Squirrel in said trap it IS illegal to re-release those beasties back into the wild and they should be killed.

This thread has however reminded me to dig an old Stranglers album out... and I'm reminded how bad the 'Rattus Norvegicus' dirge really was, though I loved it at the time...

and what if you should catch a desmoulin snail in one.....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 24 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't have a problem with killing rats, if it's absolutely necessary, but I wonder about people who take so much joy from killing things. I think it's a bit weird.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 24 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 23 2014, 11:23 PM) *

Barry Forkin isn't going to be any cheaper. Equally it's a much more pleasant to simply order at home rather than in a small shop where all the personal attention you get amounts to watching any new customer in case they pocket what's on display; a personal view of course.

As for releasing rats elsewhere, must admit I've never heard that one. The real reason for humane traps is to ensure dispatch is clean and immediate. Even the best snap traps don't guarantee that.

If you want to know how to do that, there are plenty of books in the Library that might help.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 24 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 24 2014, 08:04 AM) *
I don't have a problem with killing rats, if it's absolutely necessary, but I wonder about people who take so much joy from killing things. I think it's a bit weird.

I'd certainly agree with that. However, where it is necessary, I believe that it's right to do it very quickly and without causing any apparent suffering. There are undoubted health issues with large rat populations. Effective poisons can be indiscriminate, take a long time to work and become ineffective over time. Snap traps work, but can if sited wrongly be indiscriminate and can sometimes only be partially effective, causing suffering. Air rifles work very well if you have sufficient skill and time. Hence use of humane traps. I'll doubtless be castigated for saying so, but recent studies have found that overall rat population is lower than traditionally thought. Equally, in my view, rats are a very nice looking animal; killing them is by no means a pleasure. Frankly as nasty but as necessary as un blocking drains.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Jonno
post Mar 24 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,525

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 22 2014, 08:20 PM) *
As you say, they can be indiscriminate and are, over time becoming less effective.

We bought the "poison" from Scats as a last resort but it appears to be only useful as rat food.
:-(

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:19 AM