Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh look a puddle and a pedestrian. Lets get him wet., Idiotic drivers
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 29 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #41

Guests

Surely killing someone would not be the most appropriate response according to the Geneva convention..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 29 2012, 12:03 PM) *
Surely killing someone would not be the most appropriate response according to the Geneva convention..

A shotgun fired at a car driving away from you would be very unlikely to kill anyone - make a mess of the car though - just like it just made a mess of the pedestrian.

On a more serious note - should deliberate drenching not be considered an assault? Criminal law could then take over and deal with the toerags who think it's fun to ruin someone's day.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #43

Guests

Well, perhaps they should be punished in some way, but it's hardly assault. Assault would be punching someone in the face because they made a "your mum" joke. By that account we should all be sueing Thorpe Park for drenching us on Tidal Wave.. Last time I fired a Shotgun at a car it sort of exploded... but I feel Grand Theft Auto isn't probably indicative of real life.

It's a bit of water, at worst it's going to cost you half an hour of your time to go home, rub down and change, at most the people who did it should have to pay for the dry cleaning, but that'll easily be cancelled out by the £250 they'd get from sending the clip into You've Been Framed.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 30 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 30 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Well, perhaps they should be punished in some way, but it's hardly assault. Assault would be punching someone in the face because they made a "your mum" joke. By that account we should all be sueing Thorpe Park for drenching us on Tidal Wave.. Last time I fired a Shotgun at a car it sort of exploded... but I feel Grand Theft Auto isn't probably indicative of real life.

It's a bit of water, at worst it's going to cost you half an hour of your time to go home, rub down and change, at most the people who did it should have to pay for the dry cleaning, but that'll easily be cancelled out by the £250 they'd get from sending the clip into You've Been Framed.

You really are a bit of a t**t.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #45

Guests

Great, you finally realised biggrin.gif

Edit: I realised that after all you did make the thread and you would get upset about us laughing at your expense.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #46

Guests

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 30 2012, 10:51 AM) *
You really are a bit of a t**t.

You'd also be very happy to hear of this new initiative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16783270

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jan 30 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

By that account we should all be sueing Thorpe Park for drenching us on Tidal Wave..

Erm... no.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jan 30 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I have to say this thread has made me laugh today!!!

I have been soaked by a driver before, as i probably have soaked pedestrians in the past, i think its one of those things.

Last year whilst walking down hambridge road, i got splashed by about 4 cars in a row. At the time i was fuming but by the time i got home i thought it was hilarious.

For those who walk to work, my suggestion is to wear waterproofs if it has been raining or take a change of clothes

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Half an hour of time? So, I'm standing at a bus stop in, say, north London - a couple of hours from home - on my way to a job interview dressed in my best (ok, only) suit. Some prat drenches me for a laugh - I suspect I would happily shoot the b*****d!

Or I happen to be suffering from depression, trying to get out and get back to some sort of normality - drenched by someone laughing their heads off as they pass. I suspect I'd be more likely to shoot myself under those circumstances, or step out in front of the bus when it arrives.

Sure many people would just curse and cope - but not all - the result off an 'innocent' prank could be to ruin someone's life and will often ruin someone's day - the idea that this is just a 'bit of fun' has to be stopped. If it isn't considered as common assault then it should be - perpetrators should be given community service cleaning up river beds, in their best suit/dress, no waders. See how they like being soaked.

I have to say it seems, to me, much, much worse than a little chip on a wheel - probably just the tyre changer having a 'bit of a laugh'. Ho, ho, ho.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #50

Guests

You didn't pay £40 for them to mark your £500 wheels did you. A better comparison would be that they got my wheels muddy which would require nothing more than a quick wash, where as the damage they did caused my car to have to get put on a SPARE wheel (which looked w*nk and made me have to take time off work {as in 2 days not 2 hours} to get things done) If getting splashed caused you to have to run around in your underpants while getting your shirt shotblasted, and repainted them you can make that comparison.

Then again if I was suffering from depression then getting wet would normally cheer me right up. biggrin.gif Or yes it would push me over the edge, after all, losing my wife, child, job and house would get me down, but being splashed would be thing that pushed me over the edge. Then I'd ruin everyone else's day by causing them all to be late for work because I wanted to jump infront of a bus rather than off a bridge or quietly at home with a bottle of pills (pills don't work very well trust me I have tried, next time I'll use the "off a bridge" method) but jumping infront of a bus, or a train, or a car, is just very selfish. Sorry but unless you wanted to annoy everyone you could still achieve your end goal of death quietly without effecting the day to day activities of strangers.

Although your point about being far away from home is a good one. Although if you have ever tried one of those Dyson airblades they are pretty intense at drying things...well worth the 20p at Paddington bogs. And I'm not debating that it's a bit bad and should have some sort of consequence, I'm just saying it's funny to see it happen...and if you don't find it funny then consider that my sense of humour allows me to laugh at life more than you. Common assault, no...careless driving, but that carries 3 point and I think that most of these "soakings" are accidental, on a rainy day...sometimes it doesn't take a big puddle to make a big splash. I think paying for dry cleaning and a sincere apology should suffice unless it can be prooven it was on purpose...a 40 year old taking her 7 year old to school, probably accidental, but a pair of 20 year olds who are laughing, well perhaps not so they should have something else, but points or a criminal record is completely OTT unless it's a repeat act..

But it's ok, do unto others as you don't want them to do unto you, if you had to suffer, they have to suffer equally or more. Shoot them for making you a bit damp, yes that's great and a just retort.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 30 2012, 03:43 PM) *
You didn't pay £40 for them to mark your £500 wheels did you.

That would be difficult as I would never dream of paying £500 for a set of wheels - I'm not that daft.

I'm not talkng about accidental splashing (which is rare - I can't really think of many scenarios that would be truly accidental, as opposed to driving too fast for the conditions) - or even careless splashing (which is common - driving without due care and attention) but deliberate splashing - an assault in my mind.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #52

Guests

£500 is cheap. I'm eyeing up a set of BBS's which are £900 without tyres to buy in a couple of months..add £450 on a set of tyre's we're looking at £1500. Doesn't really make you daft, but it depends on how you look at it. At least I'd have something to show for it and could sell them later. Where as if you go to the pub and spend £20-£25 on a few pints 3 times a week that's daft, what do you have to show for it other than a bunch of receipts and some man boobs?

Well, even at 20mph a puddle can splash enough to get you wet if you're stood at the roadside. For example on the Bath Road near Henwick fields, even in the rain that's fine to do 40mph. Sometimes there are some massive puddles and unless you drive practically in the middle of the road you do get a lot of spray.

Speed isn't strictly related to size of splash. Most people who soak others don't do it on purpose...how about take the initiative and if you know it's raining why not step BACK from the edge of the curb and stand BEHIND the bus stop or at least away from the side of the road.. Problem solved. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 30 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 24 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Because it is funny. laugh.gif It's not nice or right or whatever but it's funny.

But yes you have his numberplate, justice can be served. Just exactly what do you expect to be able to do....beat the dude up??

Not funny, not clever, and judging by the stupid subsequent comments from the local boy , You really are a T**t

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #54

Guests

sleep.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 31 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Just had a quick look online - can get a set of wheels (inc spare) for my car for under £300. Still seems a bit pricey - but luckily my car came with wheels (I consider them an essential accessory when I'm buying a car) and I haven't needed to replace any of them yet.

Splash size is related to speed - if all other conditions are the same the splash will be bigger if the car is moving faster.

Anyone who thinks it's clever, or fun, to deliberately splash some innocent bystander deserves to do a bit of community service, preferably having to stand at bus stops while he/she serves out a driving ban.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 31 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 31 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Just had a quick look online - can get a set of wheels (inc spare) for my car for under £300. Still seems a bit pricey - but luckily my car came with wheels (I consider them an essential accessory when I'm buying a car) and I haven't needed to replace any of them yet.

You miss the point tongue.gif It's a hobby for me, an interest. Besides yes steel wheels are cheap ohmy.gif

Anyone who thinks it's clever, or fun, to deliberately splash some innocent bystander deserves to do a bit of community service

Yup that's fair....

preferably having to stand at bus stops while he/she serves out a driving ban.

Where as that's not. Talk about knee jerk reaction.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 1 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 31 2012, 04:45 PM) *
You miss the point tongue.gif It's a hobby for me, an interest. Besides yes steel wheels are cheap ohmy.gif

To me it's daft, to you it's a hobby - such is life.

Yup that's fair....

But I think it's only available as a punishment if the offence falls under criminal law - such as an assault.

Where as that's not. Talk about knee jerk reaction.

People who drive that badly should realise that a car licence is a privilege, not a right. A month or two without their car would serve to reinforce this message.

But it's interesting that you seem to think that a driving ban is worse than a community service - perhaps some thought should be given to imposing driving bans for criminal offences - instead of (or as well as) community service orders.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 1 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Oops - double posted. Can't seem to delete one?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 1 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #59

Guests

Yeah I don't think you can delete things...unfortunately.
I mean I can understand how people come to that conclusion that it's daft (some of my mates say the same thing) but at the end of the day I get by, support myself for 95% of things and earn my own money so if I chose to buy 500kg of horse poo then that would be up to me.

So are you suggesting a driving ban for GBH or a common assault (pub fight or something) for example? Think that is just sweeping things under the rug as they say, I think punishments are just in terms of what they are in written law, however those handed out by judges are often too leniant, mainly for repeat offenders.
A respectable person in their 20s or 30s who has a silly moment and tries to shoplift a small item such as a bit of food yes, get a suspended sentence but if they do it again, don't give them another suspended sentence, they should then get a stint in jail, say up to 3 months..

To start using your car as a punishment for non-motoring offences is just a bit...silly.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 1 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 1 2012, 09:34 AM) *
To start using your car as a punishment for non-motoring offences is just a bit...silly.

I'm not so sure. If the threat of a ban from driving, is more likely to deter criminal behaviour (minor obviously) than a community order then why not use it as a punishment?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:10 AM