> Allotment Self Management saves Taxpayer £25,000
Simon Kirby
post Dec 16 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/all-dis...-in-crisis.html

A side note on the Hungerford Allotments saga is that self-management has saved the Hungerford precept payer £25,000, which in these squeezed times is a useful amount of money to be spent on something more worthwhile.

Newbury Town Council could likewise save £40,000 annually on self-management, and that would also be good for the town's allotmenteers who could then run their sites free of the dead-hand of the town-hall bureaucrats and install site toilets and other improvements, all paid for from rent revenue.

However, as a metter of policy Newbury Town Council suppresses any possibility of self-management because it would ever so slightly diminish the prestige of the town council and the importance of its councillors.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 16 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

We have been along this road before. Unfortunately the council won't listen.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 20 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 16 2015, 08:14 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/all-dis...-in-crisis.html

A side note on the Hungerford Allotments saga is that self-management has saved the Hungerford precept payer £25,000, which in these squeezed times is a useful amount of money to be spent on something more worthwhile.

Newbury Town Council could likewise save £40,000 annually on self-management, and that would also be good for the town's allotmenteers who could then run their sites free of the dead-hand of the town-hall bureaucrats and install site toilets and other improvements, all paid for from rent revenue.

However, as a metter of policy Newbury Town Council suppresses any possibility of self-management because it would ever so slightly diminish the prestige of the town council and the importance of its councillors.

I'd agree with all of that except the last paragraph. That's an oxymoron.

I wonder how many have responded to the recent surveys and consultations pointing to such things? Not many I suspect, the fur and gilt of outdated ceremonial being more important than service.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 20 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 20 2015, 10:37 AM) *
I'd agree with all of that except the last paragraph. That's an oxymoron.

I wonder how many have responded to the recent surveys and consultations pointing to such things? Not many I suspect, the fur and gilt of outdated ceremonial being more important than service.

Newbury Town Council have offered no debate or public discussion of their services generally, the only boxes we have been allowed to tick were whether or not to support their expansion. I believe there needs to be a fundamental review of what the town needs from a parish council and amoungst other things any such review can't help but identify that allotment self-management will provide a better service at lower public cost, and this debate is actively suppressed because for councillors it's all about the power and control, and service and cost just don't come into it.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 20 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

On the Town Council one there was a box for comments - which I used, similarly, in the WBC one, I lodged a general comment, with the same message. However, I fully appreciate that a) most respondents wouldn't think of doing that and cool.gif they'll take no notice anyway.

That leaves a review; which as you say, the vested interests will do their utmost to suppress. WBC have to be included because the ability to slide 'populist wants' and jobs over to the parishes is a politically convenient device.

The District Auditor is simply interested in making sure the 'books balance' which certainly doesn't include making sure money and resource is deployed wisely or effectively. An ombudsman exists, but he has a very focussed role; which might consider one issue on its own.

How do we even get a head of interest in promoting fundamental change?

Social media seems to suggest the public really aren't that concerned. Let's face it, even what I'd consider to be a very serious electoral blunder didn't even rate a few letters in the local paper. This is potentially conditioned apathy, - which has happened as local government is seen simply as a government delivery operation, something to grouse about, but can't be altered.

Perhaps, just perhaps, one thing that might hit home is a note to George Osbourne - explaining where he is being thwarted. Or then again, could it be that a more active Labour presence might actually gain its traditional second place in Newbury?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Dec 24 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

Nothing will happen round here, it's always been Tory, either light or dark blue.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 24 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 20 2015, 03:03 PM) *
....... conditioned apathy, which has happened as local government is seen simply as a government delivery operation, something to grouse about, but can't be altered.

You have it in a nutshell I'm afraid.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:37 PM