IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> JD Wetherspoon backs down in cottage row, Pub giant withdraws application to demolish cottage
Mark NWN
post Jun 11 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 907

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13576

PUB giant JD Wetherspoon has withdrawn its application to demolish an 18th century listed building in Newbury.
The company was put under intense pressure by local historians, residents and councillors to abandon its plan to knock down the cottage behind 12 Market Place at the site of its redevelopment of the Berkshire Tavern. West Berkshire Council confirmed yesterday (Wednesday) that planning officers had been contacted by the developers, and that the plan to demolish the cottage would no longer go ahead.
Newbury Town councillor Dave Allen said he was delighted at the outcome. “This is really good news.
I should imagine there are a lot of people very happy with the result, and the town council are very pleased to hear this,” he added.

Morning everybody.

After weeks of pressure Wetherspoons have backed down and withdrawn their application to demolish the cottage behind 12 Market Place. We are still drawing reaction from people involved in this from both sides so look out for more in the next week.

Thank you for all your comments in the last thread, my question to you all today is what would you like to see the cottage used as? It could be good PR from JD Wetherspoon to actually put it to use, so lets have your suggestions (serious or not) as to what purpose it could fulfil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
misc
post Jun 11 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Jun 11 2010, 08:08 AM) *
It could be good PR from JD Wetherspoon to actually put it to use, so lets have your suggestions (serious or not) as to what purpose it could fulfil.

Sex shop / massage parlour.

We've got to keep up with those cheeky Thatchamites...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Jun 11 2010, 09:08 AM) *

Morning everybody.

After weeks of pressure Wetherspoons have backed down and withdrawn their application to demolish the cottage behind 12 Market Place. We are still drawing reaction from people involved in this from both sides so look out for more in the next week.

Thank you for all your comments in the last thread, my question to you all today is what would you like to see the cottage used as? It could be good PR from JD Wetherspoon to actually put it to use, so lets have your suggestions (serious or not) as to what purpose it could fulfil.

A new secondhand bookshop for Newbury.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 11 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Jun 11 2010, 09:08 AM) *

Morning everybody.

The fact that Wetherspoons have withdrawn their proposal to demolish the building is a move forward but it does not mean that they will refurbish the building and use it. They may just let it fall down.
The Town Council are rightly pleased with this decision but will they help or encourage Wetherspoons to develope the property?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 11 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 11 2010, 12:27 PM) *
The fact that Wetherspoons have withdrawn their proposal to demolish the building is a move forward but it does not mean that they will refurbish the building and use it. They may just let it fall down.
The Town Council are rightly pleased with this decision but will they help or encourage Wetherspoons to develope the property?

That's what I was thinking, I wonder if those that complain about its possible demise, will help maintain it?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 11 2010, 12:47 PM) *
That's what I was thinking, I wonder if those that complain about its possible demise, will help maintain it?

If you buy a listed property you have a duty to maintain that property. You are a custodian of the heritage of the local community.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 11 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 11 2010, 12:55 PM) *
If you buy a listed property you have a duty to maintain that property. You are a custodian of the heritage of the local community.

Is that right? Looks like no one has enforced that rule on any of the previous owners.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Jun 11 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 11 2010, 12:47 PM) *

So you are suggesting that because people are concerned enough about their heritage to complain about its destruction, they should give up their spare time and work without pay to restore it and keep it going? I don't think so! Wetherspoons bought the whole property; it is their responsibility for its upkeep.

The cottage could be renovated and used by the pub as bed-and-breakfast accommodation.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 11 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Is that right? Looks like no one has enforced that rule on any of the previous owners.

Is that right? Is that why the building was re-roofed?

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jun 11 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Jun 11 2010, 01:01 PM) *
So you are suggesting that because people are concerned enough about their heritage to complain about its destruction, they should give up their spare time and work without pay to restore it and keep it going? I don't think so! Wetherspoons bought the whole property; it is their responsibility for its upkeep.

The cottage could be renovated and used by the pub as bed-and-breakfast accommodation.

No but these "people" are quite happy to sit back and allow this "Heritage" to fall into ruin, this to me isn't concern. It was also the previous owners responsibilty but clearly it wasn't an issue to anyone then

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 11 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 11 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Is that right? Is that why the building was re-roofed?

In that case maybe the previous owner was required to make some repairs.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 11 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Jun 11 2010, 01:01 PM) *
So you are suggesting that because people are concerned enough about their heritage to complain about its destruction, they should give up their spare time and work without pay to restore it and keep it going? I don't think so! Wetherspoons bought the whole property; it is their responsibility for its upkeep. The cottage could be renovated and used by the pub as bed-and-breakfast accommodation.

Even if it has been allowed to go beyond economic repair? The point I made, is that we are not hearing anyone complaining about the cottage until now. help in maintenance can come in many ways, even if it is simply keeping the issue in the public domain.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 11 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I think it should become a charity shop. You just CANNOT get enough charity shops.......

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 11 2010, 01:27 PM) *
Even if it has been allowed to go beyond economic repair? The point I made, is that we are not hearing anyone complaining about the cottage until now. help in maintenance can come in many ways, even if it is simply keeping the issue in the public domain.

Beacause the cottage was not under threat before. It was well looked after, & was re-roffed to keep it dry & in good repair.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 11 2010, 01:23 PM) *
In that case maybe the previous owner was required to make some repairs.

You mean there was some enforcement? Of the need to look after listed properties?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 11 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 11 2010, 01:35 PM) *
You mean there was some enforcement? Of the need to look after listed properties?

See post 11. This is becoming very circular blink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 11 2010, 01:41 PM) *
See post 11. This is becoming very circular blink.gif

And what did you say in an earlier post -

Looks like no one has enforced that rule on any of the previous owners

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 11 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 11 2010, 01:34 PM) *
Beacause the cottage was not under threat before. It was well looked after, & was re-roffed to keep it dry & in good repair.

Is it habitable? In my view, most places in town that can house people, or business, get used. This might have a roof, but that doesn't guarantee its viability for any use.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 11 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 11 2010, 01:54 PM) *
Is it habitable? In my view, most places in town that can house people, or business, get used. This might have a roof, but that doesn't guarantee its viability for any use.

What use is Donnington Castle? Is that habitable? Why does a building have to have a use?

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jun 11 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 11 2010, 02:06 PM) *
What use is Donnington Castle? Is that habitable? Why does a building have to have a use?

Donnington Castle was demonlished in the 1600's. It should really now be called Donnington Castle Gatehouse

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:50 PM