> Newbury Train Station, GWR, Network Rail, Shame Shame Shame
James_Trinder
post Feb 23 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #721

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 23 2020, 01:25 PM) *
Where do you cross th canal then? It's at its furthest from the RR at colthrop. Do cross both with one span would mean a massive bridge. Unless bin looking vat the wrong OS map, very likely 🤔

There is already an existing canal bridge where Colthrop Lane crosses the canal so that could be upgraded at the same time. Obviously there would need to be a link road back to Chamberhouse Mill Lane on the southern side of the canal as well, which would certainly be expensive but not impossible to build.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Feb 23 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #722

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Don't see it myself, you'd need to build a bridge over the river, another one over the canal and then a third one over the RR.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 24 2020, 08:42 AM
Post #723

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I am convinced there is an ulterior motive behind the reluctance to build a bridge which I think has much validity.

The crossing provides a barrier (literally) to traffic using Crookham Hill and Thornford Road as an Eastern by-pass.
If a bridge were built the additional traffic (including HGV's) using this route would mean that a full upgrade of all the roads involved would be necessary.
Maybe the crossing is of benefit to some?? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Feb 24 2020, 10:49 AM
Post #724

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 24 2020, 08:42 AM) *
I am convinced there is an ulterior motive behind the reluctance to build a bridge which I think has much validity.

The crossing provides a barrier (literally) to traffic using Crookham Hill and Thornford Road as an Eastern by-pass.
If a bridge were built the additional traffic (including HGV's) using this route would mean that a full upgrade of all the roads involved would be necessary.

Sensible evaluation. Why should the tax payer/commuter fork out in order to prevent the odd ****** thinking a railway line is akin to Thomas the tank engine? As your initial post alluded to, maybe we should send the bill to the culprit in order to send a strong message.

ps. Obviously the censor objects to my reference in the third person even though I have no idea who they are only that their intellect is sadly lacking. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Feb 24 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #725

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 24 2020, 10:49 AM) *
Obviously the censor objects to my reference in the third person even though I have no idea who they are only that their intellect is sadly lacking. rolleyes.gif

I think that the censorship is done automatically using software rather than an individual actively scrutinising these posts.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 24 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #726

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 24 2020, 08:42 AM) *

If such a crossing were built it would result in a wholesale orgy of house building and the construction as you suggest of a by pass for thatcham, the end result being a bottleneck somewhere else and, gravel industrial extraction at Brompton. As well as loss of valuable habitat along the way.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Feb 24 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #727

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 24 2020, 02:18 PM) *
If such a crossing were built it would result in a wholesale orgy of house building and the construction as you suggest of a by pass for thatcham, the end result being a bottleneck somewhere else and, gravel industrial extraction at Brompton. As well as loss of valuable habitat along the way.

Hurray!

Would be an answer to those living in North Thatcham who've taken more than their fair share of new homes and now expected to take more.

We'd have better access to Basingstoke and M3 corridor, without having to go on a detour through Newbury and so reduce the recognised high pollution levels on the roads. It would also reduce major traffic congestion on A4.

The area closest to the station in particular isn't of huge value horticulturaly or in wildlife terms, but fits exactly the type of accommodation WBCs master plan looks for - commuters needing started homes.

It seems to me that a bridge is essential and should be funded out of the planning gain premium. Why would anyone object? Except to try and drive the land value up. After all, the people living on the undeveloped side would benefit as their property value would increase and they are likely to have more amenities as the infrastructure gets delivered.

Against HS2 and Crossrail this is chicken feed.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 24 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #728

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Feb 24 2020, 03:26 PM) *
Hurray!
Would be an answer to those living in North Thatcham who've taken more than their fair share of new homes and now expected to take more.

Really? When I moved here the depot was a depot and where the Agricola estate is was green fields and the dip had cows grazing in it, all gone now. Don't try and whinge about development.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Feb 24 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #729

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 24 2020, 04:25 PM) *
Really? When I moved here the depot was a depot and where the Agricola estate is was green fields and the dip had cows grazing in it, all gone now. Don't try and whinge about development.

Whose moaning? I'm not, I already live near Thatcham Station and like quite a few neighbours quite see the point of a bridge. The trouble is, the older residents think that Thatcham is still a village; it isn't its a suburb of Newbury, just like Greenham, Wash Common, Shaw etc. Of course there were green fields at one time, as there was even in Central Reading years ago. Newbury isn't exactly a jobs hub is it? So those of us who work for a living need easy access to Basingstoke and the M3 just like my mate's firm needs to be able to get its HGVs that way too.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Feb 24 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #730

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Feb 24 2020, 05:28 PM) *
Whose moaning? I'm not, I already live near Thatcham Station and like quite a few neighbours quite see the point of a bridge. The trouble is, the older residents think that Thatcham is still a village; it isn't its a suburb of Newbury, just like Greenham, Wash Common, Shaw etc. Of course there were green fields at one time, as there was even in Central Reading years ago. Newbury isn't exactly a jobs hub is it? So those of us who work for a living need easy access to Basingstoke and the M3 just like my mate's firm needs to be able to get its HGVs that way too.

A34.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Feb 24 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #731

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 24 2020, 05:34 PM) *
A34.

A34? Seems a bit extreme to join the M3 north.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Feb 24 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #732

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 24 2020, 06:02 PM) *
A34? Seems a bit extreme to join the M3 north.

You're right, after all it's not like people weren't taken by surprise by the roads system when they moved here was it. And let's not forget when your mate need to save some time getting his truck to Basingstoke.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Feb 24 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #733

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 24 2020, 07:01 PM) *
You're right, after all it's not like people weren't taken by surprise by the roads system when they moved here was it. And let's not forget when your mate need to save some time getting his truck to Basingstoke.

I think it is safe to say that ALL towns suffer from a transport problem. The answer is to live close enough to your place of employment so walking/bus is the preferred option and not miles away just because it fits one's social standing. For too long successive administrations have used the tax system in a vain attempt to control traffic volumes so a complete rethink is long overdue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Feb 24 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #734

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 24 2020, 08:59 PM) *
I think it is safe to say that ALL towns suffer from a transport problem. The answer is to live close enough to your place of employment so walking/bus is the preferred option and not miles away just because it fits one's social standing. For too long successive administrations have used the tax system in a vain attempt to control traffic volumes so a complete rethink is long overdue.

I commute but have a job and a position that means I only have to spend 2 to 3 days a week in the office. And the days that I WFH I am more productive. My firm know this and encourage people to use today's collaborative tools like MS Teams. I am lucky though to be in a job where this is possible.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Feb 25 2020, 12:55 AM
Post #735

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 24 2020, 09:35 PM) *
I commute but have a job and a position that means I only have to spend 2 to 3 days a week in the office. And the days that I WFH I am more productive. My firm know this and encourage people to use today's collaborative tools like MS Teams. I am lucky though to be in a job where this is possible.

Yeah, all very well but, you haven't got a mate with a truck, have you.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 35 36 37
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:00 AM