IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General Election 2017, What a massive lead in the polls brings!
Andy Capp
post May 18 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 18 2017, 09:59 PM) *
My take on the cannabis debate is the lib Dems think it'll make all the difference with young voters. If you were 19 and someone said "we'll let you buy weed in the high st" you're probably gonna vote lib dem. ****, if they offered a quiet night in and a lifetime supply of Ralgex I'd vote for them, maybe.

Judging by thew aroma around town, I don't think those people are that bothered about the current law. It certainly is not harming the supply chain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 18 2017, 11:28 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Colorado

"State wide effects since the legalization of recreational marijuana Colorado has seen many changes. To start in the fiscal year of 2015-2016 marijuana brought in 42.5 million dollars in tax revenue, distributing the first 40 million to the Colorado Department of Education BEST program and the excise 2.5 million to the Public school program funding. Also there was a change in the crime rates. Per the Colorado court system, marijuana possession arrest dropped a whopping 84% (Drug Policy Alliance). Now with each possession case running the state about 300 dollars, the state should be saving millions in judicial fees. Also arrests for cultivating and distributing marijuana dropped by more than 90%. To top it all off burglaries also decreased by 9.5% (DPA), and overall property crime decreased by 8.9%. In the area of accidents related to marijuana one simple stat of in the first 11 months of 2014: the state had a 3% drop in traffic fatalities."

Some other reading (of questionable partiality):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp...m=.a4b3732e7521

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016...-telling-s.aspx

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/one-ye...rados-legal-rec

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 19 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2017, 12:06 AM) *
Sadly, as the LibDem manifesto demonstrates the dumbarse electorate get what they deserve, dumbarse parties.
As it is likely the Lib Dems will finish no higher than 3rd, using your measurement, the Tories and Labour are dumber!

That's the point, cannibis and running brothels are illegal today. Why have these crimes and not other 'social crimes' been chosen? I don't think the other parties including Labour have changed from the 'tough on crime tough on the causes' mantra; which doesn't mean reducing crime rates by abolishing the offence.
If the activity is perceived to be benign, why should we need to maintain its illegal status? Of course, there is an ugly side to drug abuse or prostitution, but taxation could fund initiatives to help control that.

If your view is that the cost of policing drug abuse is reasonable and if you think the the current law and policing keeps drug abuse to a minimum then clearly the pledge is not for you, but you have not yet argued a rational case for why the pledge is repugnant or ridiculous. Disagreeable maybe, but your rantinging is on par with the other hysterical rightists on here.

It's moral, in that it is thought to be protecting people from themselves. We have had many years of seeing the effects of drug abuse on individuals and it's consequential overspill into society generally. There is, as yet, no credible evidence to suggest the dangers don't exist arguably quite the reverse.
Sorry, I didn't know you were an expert, but I am accepting in good faith that policy has been developed after consultation. I'd rather that we stop criminalising pot/weed/resin smokers and re-focus resources on other areas that might need resources. Cybercrime for instance.

I'll leave it there, nothing has changed and it simply reinforces my own view of where our society is now going.

A letter in this week's NWN suggests the Tories want to take us back to the 1870's as a repost to the jibe that Labour is returning the 1970s. Well, I'll give the LibDems their due, they've gone one better - back to the 1770s; Hogarth is back!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 19 2017, 06:50 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 18 2017, 10:23 PM) *
Now the Tory manifesto is out and it seems that, while Labour want to tax the rich, the Tories want to tax the middle class old and infirm. And the BBC tell me it is a lurch to the left!

Spot on.

Is it a lurch left or right, feels to me like a lurch through the floor!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 19 2017, 07:48 AM) *
I'll leave it there, nothing has changed and it simply reinforces my own view of where our society is now going.

A letter in this week's NWN suggests the Tories want to take us back to the 1870's as a repost to the jibe that Labour is returning the 1970s. Well, I'll give the LibDems their due, they've gone one better - back to the 1770s; Hogarth is back!

Don't worry, while we have people with an irrational fear of change we will be going nowhere.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 19 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2017, 08:01 AM) *
Don't worry, while we have people with an irrational fear of change we will be going nowhere.

Quite happy about change, simply unlike some, I've not smashed my moral compass.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 19 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Look, the Tories have done all they can, after their attacks on the elderly if labour still can't win its a pretty poor do, don't you think? angry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 19 2017, 10:16 AM) *
Quite happy about change, simply unlike some, I've not smashed my moral compass.

That is probably what many said about gay rights.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 19 2017, 10:44 AM) *
Look, the Tories have done all they can, after their attacks on the elderly if labour still can't win its a pretty poor do, don't you think? angry.gif

Quite. Labour (and others, like Lib Dems) are dumping on their core vote (by not being a credible opposition) big style.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 19 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2017, 01:34 PM) *
That is probably what many said about gay rights.

Indeed, and as Mr Farron discovered when the Rites Police got him, changing the law doesn't change attitudes. I wonder how long it will be before there are official apologies to the likes of Rolf Harris for their 'crimes'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 19 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 19 2017, 10:44 AM) *

Yes, it is. Labour have not done enough to rid itself of the failed 'New Labour' philosophy which some of its core MPs struggle with. Sure, its easy to dismiss the electorate as uneducated numbskulls, but failure to listen costs dear.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 19 2017, 02:58 PM) *
Indeed, and as Mr Farron discovered when the Rites Police got him, changing the law doesn't change attitudes. I wonder how long it will be before there are official apologies to the likes of Rolf Harris for their 'crimes'.

For that to become a reality, and I doubt it will, it would be because we had discovered something that meant we completely misunderstood something about human behaviour and how to manage it.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 19 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I despair, I really do, we (the Tories) had this one in the bag, what did we do? Stab the aging middle Britain core voter in the back. As a tactical decision it ranks right up there with "Russia looks like an easy target now winters coming on, let's invade". I'm not a conspiracy theory fan, but, it really appears like they want to be shot of the whole Brexit thing, let someone else deal with it. It must have taken a lot of hard work, very late at night to come up with such a sure fire way of losing an election. Well done. Really. Oh well, maybe next time.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 19 2017, 03:02 PM) *
Yes, it is. Labour have not done enough to rid itself of the failed 'New Labour' philosophy which some of its core MPs struggle with. Sure, its easy to dismiss the electorate as uneducated numbskulls, but failure to listen costs dear.

New labour only a made few mistakes but they had a profound effect. If Labour had more of the New Labour about itself, then it might be more electable.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 19 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 19 2017, 03:49 PM) *
I despair, I really do, we (the Tories) had this one in the bag, what did we do? Stab the aging middle Britain core voter in the back. As a tactical decision it ranks right up there with "Russia looks like an easy target now winters coming on, let's invade". I'm not a conspiracy theory fan, but, it really appears like they want to be shot of the whole Brexit thing, let someone else deal with it. It must have taken a lot of hard work, very late at night to come up with such a sure fire way of losing an election. Well done. Really. Oh well, maybe next time.

It's only the silver vote that has any money to tax! The rest are skint or can afford decent accountants.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 19 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Equity release, here I come!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post May 26 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

As time goes on I'm warming to Corbyn. He is spot on about the failure of the "war on terror" and if he ends our involvement in it, I'm prepared to accept the increased tax for me personally and the risk for the economy. The risk from Labour is tiny compared to the risk from leaving the single market and I'm pretty confident that under Corbyn we would get Brexit "lite". Perhaps it's time to vote for honesty. May looks anything but "strong and stable".

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 26 2017, 02:36 PM) *
As time goes on I'm warming to Corbyn. He is spot on about the failure of the "war on terror" and if he ends our involvement in it, I'm prepared to accept the increased tax for me personally and the risk for the economy. The risk from Labour is tiny compared to the risk from leaving the single market and I'm pretty confident that under Corbyn we would get Brexit "lite". Perhaps it's time to vote for honesty. May looks anything but "strong and stable".

Yes, as someone who did vote leave I'd not disagree. After being 'in' for the previous 40 years, an IN or OUT only option vote was pretty dumb. If you were 'so dissatisfied' after that relationship, frankly OUT was the logical outcome! It wasn't helped at all by the pre discussion Cameron had with Europe, when his Oliver Twist approach was met in the traditional manner. So, I think the Labour approach of seeing where we get with a sensible debate; as you'd have commercially with a recalcitrant mission critical service provider is indeed the right way forward. Arguably, the debate Cameron should have had!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 26 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 26 2017, 05:37 PM) *
Yes, as someone who did vote leave I'd not disagree. After being 'in' for the previous 40 years, an IN or OUT only option vote was pretty dumb. If you were 'so dissatisfied' after that relationship, frankly OUT was the logical outcome! It wasn't helped at all by the pre discussion Cameron had with Europe, when his Oliver Twist approach was met in the traditional manner. So, I think the Labour approach of seeing where we get with a sensible debate; as you'd have commercially with a recalcitrant mission critical service provider is indeed the right way forward. Arguably, the debate Cameron should have had!

Corbyn will win the GE. Lots of my colleagues who are normally blue are voting for him. Lunacy. They are fed up with austerity. Good luck. 8s with the bookies. Get on.

He will bring you. Inflation. Strikes. Mass immigartion. Diane Abbott. A pound that wont be worth a Euro. Riots. And mass unemployment.

And it will all be blamed on Brexit and not crazy spending.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 26 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 26 2017, 06:19 PM) *
Corbyn will win the GE. Lots of my colleagues who are normally blue are voting for him. Lunacy. They are fed up with austerity. Good luck. 8s with the bookies. Get on.

He will bring you. Inflation. Strikes. Mass immigartion. Diane Abbott. A pound that wont be worth a Euro. Riots. And mass unemployment.

And it will all be blamed on Brexit and not crazy spending.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/...rs-ground-video

JC... Ill say it again. Diane Abbott.😮

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:19 AM