Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Facebook Campaign for my Allotment
Nothing Much
post Apr 1 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,171

I think Simon Kirby is setting up UDI. You will need a passport. And a complement of Pikemen.

I really think the shed is a work of art. Next years Turner Prize along with all the documents.
I have seen dross at Tate Britain for the same event.
ce
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Apr 3 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

This would make a great plot for an Alan Plater style TV drama series. Like the Beiderbecke Affair, but with a renegade allotment holder, bumptious councillors, supercilious magistrates, nosy neighbourhood watch types twitching their curtains, bumbling police constables and the lovely Barbara Flynn to steal our hearts.

Here are Jaycakes, Mr Kirby, Ms Flynn and James Bolan in a possible scene.

Any ideas for a title?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Apr 3 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Looking at the poses in that photo again, the chaps seem a little over excited by the proximity of Ms Flynn don't they?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Apr 3 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 3 2012, 06:37 PM) *
I am such a fan of The Beiderbecke Affair, I have it on DVD. I love Bix Beiderbeck (I have quite a thing for Barbara Flynn's character too) - and I so want a shed like Big Al.

Perfect! Alan Plater is sadly no longer with us but perhaps Richard Adams could be persuaded to write the series and work in a few rabbits? A blend of Beiderbecke, Watership Down and Beatrix Potter should have something for everyone.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 3 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Apr 3 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Perfect! Alan Plater is sadly no longer with us but perhaps Richard Adams could be persuaded to write the series and work in a few rabbits? A blend of Beiderbecke, Watership Down and Beatrix Potter should have something for everyone.

If it is a Farce then NTC would fit in well then? Fully experienced! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 3 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 3 2012, 06:37 PM) *
I am such a fan of The Beiderbecke Affair, I have it on DVD. I love Bix Beiderbeck (I have quite a thing for Barbara Flynn's character too) - and I so want a shed like Big Al.

A brilliant series - I went to a friend's wedding many moons ago and found myself sitting next to the headmaster - who turned out to be a much nicer chap in real life.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 3 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 3 2012, 07:43 PM) *
A brilliant series - I went to a friend's wedding many moons ago and found myself sitting next to the headmaster - who turned out to be a much nicer chap in real life.

What a stroke of luck! You couldn't get him to see if Big Al would have a word with our brightest and best?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 3 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I know the chap who won S of the Y in 07. Gotta long, long way to go Simon.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 5 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 5 2012, 08:10 AM) *
New public statement from NTC.

I've also had a letter from their solicitor saying that I'll be trespassing illegally if I go on site again and that I can be removed by the police or anyone else they authorise. I'll be honest, I'm finding it too frightening and tressful now, but I love my allotment and it just can't be right that I've been evicted without a chance to argue my case in front of an independent tribunal - that is what Atricle 6 says I have a right to, and I genuinely believe that I'm right about the Unfair Terms thing and I also believe that I was right to make a stand. sad.gif
I don't think the police would get involved, I would have thought this would count as civil tresspass.

+Quote Post
Ron
post Apr 5 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

[url="http://www.newbury.gov.uk/pdfs/news/allotmentservice120404PR.pdf"]New public trespassing illegally

I know, being a bit picky, but how do you trespass legally? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 5 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

New public statement from NTC.

I've also had a letter from their solicitor saying that I'll be trespassing illegally if I go on site again and that I can be removed by the police or anyone else they authorise. I'll be honest, I'm finding it too frightening and tressful now, but I love my allotment and it just can't be right that I've been evicted without a chance to argue my case in front of an independent tribunal - that is what Atricle 6 says I have a right to, and I genuinely believe that I'm right about the Unfair Terms thing and I also believe that I was right to make a stand. sad.gif

Let them arrest you Simon - just think of the publicity when it comes to court - the court will only take a dim view of the council anyway for wasting their valuable time over trivialities! Look at some of the sentences passed down for things like mugging and breaking and entering in Newbury a stiff telling off from the magistrate and business as usual. Don't give in to them keep up the fight!

I have written to the council but they only come back with the usual standard letter "they are unable to enter into any correspondence concerning an individual".
Why don't we try a mass trespass at your plot over the weekend and see just what happens? Have they requested you return your key yet? Are we still able to enter the allotments without breaking in?
Any other suggestions welcome?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
badmummajamma
post Apr 5 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

Simon, I really do feel for you.

There's only ever so much stress and aggravation a matter of principle can stand up to.

I'm having my own battle with Reading Borough Council at the moment and trying to resolve conflicts with these local authorities is like banging your head against a shed wall.

It's a long story but RBC is essentially trying to charge me £260 for an alleged contravention of a bus lane regulation - in which the nose of my car may have entered the bus lane to enable me to perform a legal three-point turn after dropping someone off. You couldn't make it up.

Bearing in mind my offices are within said bus lane, in the town centre, I'm well aware of the restriction.

I seem to spend a worrying percentage of my free time in conflict with parasitic organisations after something for nothing.

Anyone ever see that Michael Douglas film Falling Down? It's one of those days.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Apr 5 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Ron @ Apr 5 2012, 09:56 AM) *
I know, being a bit picky, but how do you trespass legally? unsure.gif

Generally, trespass is a civil matter, and not a criminal one. The most someone can do if you are on their land is ask you to leave.

There is such a thing as criminal trespass, but I think that is for protected sites - places like the AWE, royal residences etc.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Apr 5 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 5 2012, 11:21 AM) *
To quote the Council's solicitor's letter "However, if you return to the allotment plot, you will be trespassing and committing a criminal act.

Ok, this looks like standard bluff and bluster. Unless there is an existing reason for it to be classed as criminal trespass (and there is none that I can see), then you are not committing a criminal offence by simply trespassing, as it's not a criminal offence.

The only way I can see the police showing up is if they have reason to believe that you have had to force entry onto the site, or if they believe that you may be there to commit a criminal act (such as burglary etc).

If you're in town I would stop by the police station and ask. They're a decent bunch.

There is some info here:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47513

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Apr 5 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 5 2012, 01:39 PM) *
...but they have a duty to attend if they believe a breach of the peace is likely.

And that's probably the biggest threat of action you face. You can bet that if someone from NTC rings the police they will make out that you are someone who has been evicted and is there to cause trouble and disrupt others, even though may be just going about your own business.

Having said that, if you did go back on site and the police did turn up, providing that you give them no cause for concern as to your intentions you may find that, at most, they ask you to leave.

If they are happy that you have no criminal intent, and you choose to go back later they may well be reluctant to come out again if called, as they know that you don't pose a threat to anyone.

If NTC want you out, but refuse to deal with you amicably, then it's for the courts to sort out. Not for the police to become bailiffs for the council. I can't see TVP doing NTC's job for them.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Apr 5 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 5 2012, 04:08 PM) *
I'm concerned about some Council heavy taking matters into their own hands.

Really?!? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Apr 5 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 5 2012, 04:08 PM) *
I agree, but it's not the police I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about some Council heavy taking matters into their own hands. I am still the tenant and am still working my plot, but I don't want to get into a wrestling match. The only responsible action is for the Council to apply for a possession order, and then I get to make my case.

If they get rough it's assault, that will read well in the press. "Allotmenteer assaulted by council workman" The police won't get involved unless there is a risk of violence. If you are willing to fight for what you love I suffer you call their bluff. Weasel faced fat ******** !

+Quote Post
badmummajamma
post Apr 5 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

I'm concerned about what will become of the shed?!

Surely as one of the country's best sheds, it should have listed status or something?

Simon, I suggest you chain yourself to it.

We''ll all take it in turns to bring you a cup of tea occasionally.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Apr 5 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Just a note of caution though Simon Kirby. I think your present time is stressful enough.
But best think of future interaction with financial bodies.
A record won't do much good on the form. Should you need to.

Newbury has a history of being bolshy, Greenham,Swampy.
The ladies went,and Swampy is leading a quiet life in Yorkshire I believe.

I think like "28 days later", and Guerrila Gardeners. You should have a sturdy band to remove your
shed and plonk it on St John's roundabout. Overnight. And a brick BBQ , space for the dogs to snooze
I am sure a B&Q garden trolley would do.
ce

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 5 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 5 2012, 08:59 AM) *
I have written to the council but they only come back with the usual standard letter "they are unable to enter into any correspondence concerning an individual".

If you ask questions about Simon that is exactly the reply they will always give. If you are an NTC resident, ask questions about the matters Simon has issues with.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:15 PM