Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Well Done
Phil_D11102
post May 27 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

Well done and massive, massive thank you to Dave Stubbs for his 43 years of public service.

It's folks like yourself that give the rest of us hope that there are still some very outstanding people out there still quietly going about their jobs.

Good luck to you in your future endavours, and enjoy your retirement. You earned it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Who's Dave Stubbs?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=16862

Found him, fair play for his service but he is retiring early, and will have a massive gold plated state pension and would have been paid handsomely throughout his career so I see no need for a public thank you.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post May 27 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

Found him, fair play for his service but he is retiring early, and will have a massive gold plated state pension and would have been paid handsomely throughout his career so I see no need for a public thank you

Would it have been so painful to refrain from making the above comment if you didn't have nothing nice to say.

43 years is a long time.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 27 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 02:57 PM) *
...will have a massive gold plated state pension...

I doubt it's massive.

...and would have been paid handsomely throughout his career...

I'm sure that there are many police officers that will take issue with that assumption. And I doubt very much that he will have felt that either.

so I see no need for a public thank you.

That's up to you of course, but anyone that does a job that potentially puts them in harms way each day for 40+ years would be deserving of a public "thank you", at the very least.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 27 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I agree, not least that I have yet to hear someone say a bad word about Mr Stubbs. His beat used to be up our way, and everyone I knew found him approachable (while pushing his bike up to wash Common). Here's to a happy retirement.

I think Strafin's sentiments are both churlish and unnecessary.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 27 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Found him, fair play for his service but he is retiring early, and will have a massive gold plated state pension and would have been paid handsomely throughout his career so I see no need for a public thank you.

I think he deserves praise for being police officer when they didnt go round in pair, stab vests and fast cars. He is old time, he would have done his rounds, and every street on his beat, on his bile or walking. He comes from a time when you did see coppers on the beat. Wish we had this service today.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 27 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Even if this were true, which I suspect it isn't why be so negative towards those that want to thank him for a job well done.

The question I always ask people who have this misconception of the Public Sector is, if it's as good as they say why aren't they working in it?

They rarely answer.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

As a victim of crime, and a taxpayer, I feel I have the right to my opinion, as you all do. We differ in our opinions but they are equally valid. Mr Stubbs has spent 16 years consulting according to the article and that is the problem with the public sector. He may well have worked hard, but so have many other people so why should I single him out as being extraordinary? Phil D may have wanted to make his own point here, but it is a public forum, so I don't see why I should be quiet. Plenty of you disagree and put others down on here without batting an eyelid, especially councillors and the like so you have to expect it to work both ways.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 27 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 05:47 PM) *
As a victim of crime, and a taxpayer, I feel I have the right to my opinion, as you all do. We differ in our opinions but they are equally valid. Mr Stubbs has spent 16 years consulting according to the article and that is the problem with the public sector. He may well have worked hard, but so have many other people so why should I single him out as being extraordinary? Phil D may have wanted to make his own point here, but it is a public forum, so I don't see why I should be quiet. Plenty of you disagree and put others down on here without batting an eyelid, especially councillors and the like so you have to expect it to work both ways.
This is my the point.

Why are you telling people they shouldn't be thanking him?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

And he would have been on at least £36k according to a google search (not officially validated), and a pension lump sum of around £100k followed by £20k a year. Like I said fair play to him, but it's not like he was volunteering. The probvlem I have with the public sector is that seemingly they do less and less work for more and more money and still think they are doing us all a favour. Dave Stubbs did not make the post himself so I realise that he is not asking for the recognition himself. And not knowing him personally I have no idea as to how good of a copper he was, my gripe is with the organisation, not the man.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 27 2011, 05:56 PM) *
This is my the point.

Why are you telling people they shouldn't be thanking him?

Thank him all you like, I don't care, just don't expect us all to feel the same way.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 27 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 06:00 PM) *
And he would have been on at least £36k according to a google search (not officially validated), and a pension lump sum of around £100k followed by £20k a year. Like I said fair play to him, but it's not like he was volunteering. The probvlem I have with the public sector is that seemingly they do less and less work for more and more money and still think they are doing us all a favour. Dave Stubbs did not make the post himself so I realise that he is not asking for the recognition himself. And not knowing him personally I have no idea as to how good of a copper he was, my gripe is with the organisation, not the man.
As I asked before, if it's so good being employed in the Public Sector why aren't you working in it?
QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 06:01 PM) *
Thank him all you like, I don't care, just don't expect us all to feel the same way.
I don't, I think you should respect the opinions of those that would like to thank him though.

+Quote Post
Roost
post May 27 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Gold plated pension? I don't think so.

To the best of my knowledge, police contribute 11% plus of their salary into their pensions. Considerably more than any other public sector workers and more than most private sectore pensions.

Hardly gold plated.

And well done Dave. 43 years of dealing with people like Strafin is always gonna take it out of you! tongue.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but this forum is always one way traffic. If you agree with the right people you are allowed to say so, if you disagree with certain people you are told that you can't have an opinion. Regarding the public sector, I have just posted the figures which speak for themselves. I had no idea how cushty the jobs were until I started working within it as a contractor. I stay where I am because the company I work for is a multinational and have applied to leave this country (as so often you say I should if I don't like it), and will be able to transfer with them.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 27 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 07:16 PM) *
I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but this forum is always one way traffic. If you agree with the right people you are allowed to say so, if you disagree with certain people you are told that you can't have an opinion. Regarding the public sector, I have just posted the figures which speak for themselves. I had no idea how cushty the jobs were until I started working within it as a contractor. I stay where I am because the company I work for is a multinational and have applied to leave this country (as so often you say I should if I don't like it), and will be able to transfer with them.
Contractors almost always get paid more than the full time staff they work beside which is fine. To have the cheek to imply that people who devote their life to public service get "paid handsomely" however, when you were probably getting more is a tad hypocritical in my book.

This country is better off without people with this sort of selfish attitude given you're also telling people that they shouldn't be congratulating someone on their 43 years of public service.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 27 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (user23 @ May 27 2011, 05:32 PM) *
Even if this were true, which I suspect it isn't why be so negative towards those that want to thank him for a job well done.

The question I always ask people who have this misconception of the Public Sector is, if it's as good as they say why aren't they working in it?

They rarely answer.

I have tried repeatedly to get a job in the public sector but with limited success. The closest that I got to it was working for a public sector contractor, which was the easiest job that I have ever had. Unfortunately I had to leave because I was about to be made redundant. Offer me a job at West Berkshire Council, for example, and I would bite your hand off but like most other public sector organisations they are not actually recruiting at the moment.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 27 2011, 07:50 PM) *
Contractors almost always get paid more than the full time staff they work beside which is fine. To have the cheek to imply that people who devote their life to public service get "paid handsomely" however, when you were probably getting more is a tad hypocritical in my book.

This country is better off without people with this sort of selfish attitude given you're also telling people that they shouldn't be congratulating someone on their 43 years of public service.

laugh.gif laugh.gif LOL! no they don't, and they don't get the pension either. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post May 27 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 27 2011, 08:20 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif LOL! no they don't, and they don't get the pension either. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Yes they do, at every firm I've worked at both public and private.

Are you saying you don't? LOL indeed. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
NorahG
post May 27 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,318

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 27 2011, 04:29 PM) *
I agree, not least that I have yet to hear someone say a bad word about Mr Stubbs. His beat used to be up our way, and everyone I knew found him approachable (while pushing his bike up to wash Common). Here's to a happy retirement.

I think Strafin's sentiments are both churlish and unnecessary.

Absolutely. I don't know Mr Stubbs but I'd like to shake his hand someday. 43 years public service and I hope a very happy retirement. Good luck to the man. As for 'Strafin', I feel almost sorry for you.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:11 PM