Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pedestrian crossings.
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 7 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 881

I am often taken aback when pedestrians will cross a road without even looking left and right to see if anything is coming. Does no one remember the Green Cross Code? I drive through the town every morning and turn right on Mansion House Street instead of going straight on to Northbrook Street. I put my indicator on outside the Kitchen Monger and people still walk out in front of me. I then turn left onto Cheap Street (where I turn on my indicator outside Montys) and again people will just walk across without looking.

As a pedestrian though at this junction (turning into Cheap Street) why do cars not indicate they are going left instead of bearing right. It is a left turn, even though it seems straight on, and I have had run ins with car drivers who think that lifting up their arm and pulling down a lever is too much hassle !!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 8 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jul 7 2010, 10:35 PM) *

As a pedestrian though at this junction (turning into Cheap Street) why do cars not indicate they are going left instead of bearing right. It is a left turn, even though it seems straight on, and I have had run ins with car drivers who think that lifting up their arm and pulling down a lever is too much hassle !!!!

Where are your indicators then because in my car, and most others I have driven, the levers are right by where your hands should be - on the steering wheel? It's more a case of moving one finger than your arm!

Now, if on a bicycle, where you have to take one arm off the handlebars and move it to indicate, that's a bit more energetic! Car - one finger either up or down, bike - right or left arm held out to side! Now that's what I call exercise! wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Chelsea Greg @ Jul 7 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Can't you have a word with the relevant section at council Bill? That Chris fella said you work there?

Actually I revealed I work for WBC absolutely ages ago. What relevant section?

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2010, 08:49 PM) *
Yes, and User 23 works there as well. A friendly word in their shell like... and if they don't comply threaten them with all the dirt they've accumulated over the years. It is no good working for a company and not expect a few perks.

Sorry GMR I have no idea what you are talking about!

+Quote Post
Chelsea Greg
post Jul 8 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 854

I think Bill and the other council worker/s on here should spend less time blogging at work and more time grafting! Is this what we pay our council tax for?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 8 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Chelsea Greg @ Jul 8 2010, 02:43 PM) *
I think Bill and the other council worker/s on here should spend less time blogging at work and more time grafting! Is this what we pay our council tax for?

rolleyes.gif There is such a thing as break time! dry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 8 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

Bill's already answered unfounded and daft statements like that previously

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #27

Guests

Not again!

I'm getting seriously peed off with this sort of comment now.

Tell you what, why don't I just spend more of my break time worrying about myself instead of others. angry.gif

From a fellow Blue by the look of your User Name too.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 8 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

To be fair I think most people write or look at the Internet in their working time. I do think it is unfair of people criticising council staff for writing in their working time. I would do it, unfortunately our computers at work block out Internet Access.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 8 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 8 2010, 05:36 PM) *
To be fair I think most people write or look at the Internet in their working time.

Thats me ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 8 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Have to tell you this, today I've been at the national HQ of a well known public sector firm. Waiting for someone to confirm a contract. A fairly curt Receptionist directed me to his floor where I was ushered into the presence. Not a word for a few minutes, then 'sorry I had to finish something' Ummm I do know what Facebook looks like even at an angle! This wasn't in Newbury, where (dare I say it) Reception and staff at either Council office are at least polite!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 8 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

To be fair I think most people write or look at the Internet in their working time.

Not me!

I do think it is unfair of people criticising council staff for writing in their working time.

Why?

I would do it, unfortunately our computers at work block out Internet Access.

Because I bet you work for a private firm.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 8 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Yes...it seems the only time people take a break from personal web browsing...is to take personal calls on their moby! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 8 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Having five minutes on the web while at work is the modern day non-smokers equivalent of slipping outside for a five minute fag break....

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 9 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 9 2010, 12:34 AM) *
Having five minutes on the web while at work is the modern day non-smokers equivalent of slipping outside for a five minute fag break....

I do both wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 9 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 8 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Not again!

I'm getting seriously peed off with this sort of comment now.

Tell you what, why don't I just spend more of my break time worrying about myself instead of others. angry.gif

From a fellow Blue by the look of your User Name too.

It is perfectly understood that those employed as public servants should be subject to scrutiny in order to inform the public, that contribute to the salaries, pensions and everything that goes with a public office, that their money is being spent correctly and not wasted.
The recent MP's expenses saga being a recent case in point.
So it is not unreasonable for people on this and forum to make the observation regarding council employees posting in company time. I give you that the point was crudely made however still relevant.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 9 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 9 2010, 09:17 AM) *
It is perfectly understood that those employed as public servants should be subject to scrutiny in order to inform the public, that contribute to the salaries, pensions and everything that goes with a public office, that their money is being spent correctly and not wasted.
The recent MP's expenses saga being a recent case in point.
So it is not unreasonable for people on this and forum to make the observation regarding council employees posting in company time. I give you that the point was crudely made however still relevant.

It MIGHT be, but what relevance to pedestrian crossings I am unsure. ALSO, I think it unreasonable to assume they would be doing anything in company time - how does anyone know? Third, it is often personal, which is also a grotty thing to do (as in this instance). The same points could be made without going personal. Singling people out, in my view, is out of order and the mods, I think, should be clamping down on this.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 9 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 9 2010, 10:06 AM) *
The same points could be made without going personal. Singling people out, in my view, is out of order and the mods, I think, should be clamping down on this.

Sorry but you are scoring an own goal there.

Rather than keep the discussion general you too resort to personalisations.
Not that it bothers me too much but in the "slow news day" thread, instead of keeping the discussion general on topic, you resort to personalisations such as calling me "tight".

So I agree with you - keep to the discussion without going "personal". biggrin.gif

(Yes I know off topic but threads tend to go that way.)

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 9 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 9 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Sorry but you are scoring an own goal there. Rather than keep the discussion general you too resort to personalisations.

Of course I do, but I'm not saying I'm right either! Besides, I was joking with you, and I wasn't trying to 'out' you, and that is is what I find most unsavoury.

I've no problem with people writing, "council workers appear to be using council's time, and that is out of order", but I do have issue with people going, "Oi, Joe, get off the Internet in our time!".

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 9 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 9 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Of course I do, but I'm not saying I right either! Besides, I was joking with you, and I wasn't trying to 'out' you, and that is is what I find most unsavoury.

OK fine - I know it was in jest - I am not easily offended - I enjoy the debate. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 9 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 9 2010, 11:47 AM) *
OK fine - I know it was in jest - I am not easily offended - I enjoy the debate. biggrin.gif

Same as that...what about those silly pedestrians, eh? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:28 AM