Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road works Hambridge Road/ lane.
JaneGibbs
post Feb 1 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,817

Does anybody know when the road works between Hambridge Road and Hambridge Lane finish? I regularly have to use Hambridge Road and I am getting fed up with the traffic delays. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 1 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

March 2015 at that rate.
It's a bloody stupid idea IMO. One way in and one way out - It's probably Newbury's single most busy road during peak times and they are not going to be able to manage it at all..

Sometimes it worries me how people in such positions to make the decisions have absolutely no idea on what's actually going to happen...

Alternatively, work harder, buy a helicopter.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Feb 1 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 1 2013, 08:29 PM) *
March 2015 at that rate.
It's a bloody stupid idea IMO. One way in and one way out - It's probably Newbury's single most busy road during peak times and they are not going to be able to manage it at all..

Sometimes it worries me how people in such positions to make the decisions have absolutely no idea on what's actually going to happen...

Thank you for that bit of advice, but I must say I agree. It is one of the busiest roads and you would have thought they would have planned it a bit better.

Saving for a helicopter is a good idea, but knowing my luck when I have saved enough they would have completed the road works by then.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 1 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 1 2013, 08:29 PM) *
March 2015 at that rate.

Really good to see you've got excited about local politics....and I am being serious!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Feb 1 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Sometimes I feel that we should get involved in politics but I find it so boring. I also don't think politicians do enough to make politics interesting for us. They spend so much time arguing amongst themselves and seem to forget that they should be informing the public and getting us engaged. Maybe it is just me, I don't get.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 1 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I completely agree Jane - I remember once I met Richard Benyon, this was like 3-4 years ago when I was messing around before I bothered getting into my career.
And so a group of 15-16 of us "yoofs", none of us bad drug dealing people, all just generally good kids wanting to get on in life and be given an opportunity.. We were all questioning about the future, about the start of the recession, about the job future for the younger people and he had no real interest in what we had to say.

At the time I was a motorcyclist only and raised a point (I'm sure it affects those on bicycles as well) as to why drain covers are often placed in the road in the most inopportune areas, greatly risking an accident if not spotted, wanna know what he said? "Well that's the ultility companies issue, not my problem.. next!"

QUOTE (JaneGibbs @ Feb 1 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Saving for a helicopter is a good idea, but knowing my luck when I have saved enough they would have completed the road works by then.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 1 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 1 2013, 09:28 PM) *
Really good to see you've got excited about local politics....and I am being serious!

I try. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Feb 1 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 1 2013, 10:45 PM) *
I completely agree Jane - I remember once I met Richard Benyon, this was like 3-4 years ago when I was messing around before I bothered getting into my career.
And so a group of 15-16 of us "yoofs", none of us bad drug dealing people, all just generally good kids wanting to get on in life and be given an opportunity.. We were all questioning about the future, about the start of the recession, about the job future for the younger people and he had no real interest in what we had to say.

At the time I was a motorcyclist only and raised a point (I'm sure it affects those on bicycles as well) as to why drain covers are often placed in the road in the most inopportune areas, greatly risking an accident if not spotted, wanna know what he said? "Well that's the ultility companies issue, not my problem.. next!"

laugh.gif

I am sad to say that the only thing I know about Benyon is that he is reasonably good looking. I know that that shouldn't be any sort of criteria but I am sad to say that politicians seem to be moving into the celebrity stakes. What is the world coming to when we view our MPs as celebrities? no wonder people are either being turned off politics or turned on for the wrong reasons.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 2 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (JaneGibbs @ Feb 1 2013, 11:09 PM) *
I am sad to say that the only thing I know about Benyon is that he is reasonably good looking.

Benyon is Minister for the Environment and pops up on TV from time to time, as in the last day or so talking about flood defences.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 2 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 1 2013, 10:45 PM) *
.....At the time I was a motorcyclist only and raised a point (I'm sure it affects those on bicycles as well) as to why drain covers are often placed in the road in the most inopportune areas, greatly risking an accident if not spotted, wanna know what he said? "Well that's the ultility companies issue, not my problem.. next!

What a shame; because your question is politics pure and simple. Suspect Mr B. would have been at a loss to try and explain why something so seemingly simple and straightforward can't be rapidly sorted. I seem to remember an old post from 'Nothing Much' where he told us his late much lamented wife was heavily involved in trying to sort out this very question. You are in good company!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 2 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Shortly after young Richard was elected I asked him to vote ( free ) against a private members bill that was being placed before the House . I presented my argument and , because of his background , I expected his support . Oh dear , it was not so much he disagreed with my viewpoint more he didn't understand it . Now I appreciate he has matured and a little more au feu with the world but he still does not inspire confidence .

Should go a long way in politics . wink.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
theone09
post Feb 2 2013, 11:00 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

It's closed on the weekend of 16th/17th for resurfacing according to the signs.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Feb 3 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 2 2013, 10:25 AM) *
Benyon is Minister for the Environment and pops up on TV from time to time, as in the last day or so talking about flood defences.

I should know this but I do find politics boring. Anyway, thanks.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 3 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 2 2013, 04:20 PM) *
Now I appreciate he has matured and a little more au feu with the world

Hot stuff indeed. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 4 2013, 11:47 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 3 2013, 08:08 PM) *
Hot stuff indeed. biggrin.gif

Just realised what I said .

faire une gaffe . laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Feb 4 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 2 2013, 04:20 PM) *
Shortly after young Richard was elected I asked him to vote ( free ) against a private members bill that was being placed before the House . I presented my argument and , because of his background , I expected his support . Oh dear , it was not so much he disagreed with my viewpoint more he didn't understand it . Now I appreciate he has matured and a little more au feu with the world but he still does not inspire confidence .

Should go a long way in politics . wink.gif

Is that when it is all completed?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 4 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Going back to the inconvenience of the road works.....
Creating the ramping to provide the adequate slope for the bridge deck, together with the services (new and relocated) was always going to be a major engineering task. How should the work have been done? Ideas for a better way are better than angst over what is happening.

I was amongst those who wanted the bridge to go in early so the developers could not renege on the construction at the last minute. If we have the bridge we have the road works........

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 5 2013, 12:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 4 2013, 11:49 PM) *
Going back to the inconvenience of the road works.....
Creating the ramping to provide the adequate slope for the bridge deck, together with the services (new and relocated) was always going to be a major engineering task. How should the work have been done? Ideas for a better way are better than angst over what is happening.

I was amongst those who wanted the bridge to go in early so the developers could not renege on the construction at the last minute. If we have the bridge we have the road works........

Will it be done by March?

A339 Newbury Railway Bridge Maintenance Scheme

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 5 2013, 07:39 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 5 2013, 12:11 AM) *

One would rather hope there has been some co-ordination!!!

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 5 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 5 2013, 07:39 AM) *
One would rather hope there has been some co-ordination!!!

Cant wait for complete grid lock

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:35 AM