Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternative Policing
Bloggo
post Aug 10 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

I recently read an article that said that the people living in a suburb of Southampton have clubed together to hire a security company to walk the streets in order to deter vandalism and anti- social behaviour.
The reason being that they have little confidence that the Police are paying much attention to the problems in their area.

I have a couple of views on this.
One, isn't it an adverse comment on the service that we pay the Police for that is falling short of the expectation of the Community it is surposed to serve.
Secondly should these residents get some money back from local government as they are augmenting the service provided
Thirdly, what a good idea to enhance what are clearly over stretched Police resources.

Is this where we are going in that we are contracting out to protect ourseleves and our communities.

What do you think?

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 10 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

From what I know about this story, Shirley is hardly a hotbed of crime, and if some well-heeled local residents want to hire security guards, then good luck to them. They certainly shouldn't be subsidised by the rest of the council taxpayers.

I am sure the police do what is needed on a limited budget in a fairly large town.

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 10 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

I think policing levels and types all come down to money. how much of it and how best to spend it.

Don't quote me on exact equivalence but I imagine you can have perhaps three Community Police or six Wardens for the cost of one proper police officer.

What size and structure of policing a force needs to deploy must govern the mix that is used. It cannot help when officers have to be deployed out of area for national/international reasons.

So if you don't think you are well enough policed then you have a choice of hiring some sort of security firm or paying enough local tax to cover the cost of real police officers. Perhaps WBC might like to do a consultation exercise on this topic?

I was going to say police liaison consultation but as it is all about money and tax it has to be a political rather than a police matter.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I think it says a lot about our police service.

In America well off societies use special security guards to police their area. They’ve become very popular. One of the reasons for this is that police have to work within government guidelines. Security guards know who their masters are and work to their specifications. If culprits are caught committing crimes they are dealt with in a manner that makes them think twice when going to an areas that have such security systems.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 10 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 10 2009, 03:43 PM) *
From what I know about this story, Shirley is hardly a hotbed of crime, and if some well-heeled local residents want to hire security guards, then good luck to them. They certainly shouldn't be subsidised by the rest of the council taxpayers.

I am sure the police do what is needed on a limited budget in a fairly large town.

Clearly the Police don't do what's needed otherwise why would these people hire a private security company?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 10 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Clearly the Police don't do what's needed otherwise why would these people hire a private security company?

I think it was fairly clear from my post, that I meant they do what is needed (and have to prioritise what they do) in a town the size of Southampton considering their finite resources.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *

Exactly and also the police respond to the needs of their masters; the government. Security forces also have the same ethos; but their masters are the ones who pay them. They work to their own guidelines. People are getting very disillusioned with the police services, courts and government.

Those security establishments come about because people are at the end of their tolerance level.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 10 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 10 2009, 04:09 PM) *
I think it was fairly clear from my post, that I meant they do what is needed (and have to prioritise what they do) in a town the size of Southampton considering their finite resources.

Sorry, the point is the Police are not doing what is needed in regards to these residents.
I know it's about money and resources but in this case it appears that there is not enough of both to satisfy the requirements of these residents.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 10 2009, 04:16 PM) *
Sorry, the point is the Police are not doing what is needed in regards to these residents.
I know it's about money and resources but in this case it appears that there is not enough of both to satisfy the requirements of these residents.

I don’t agree totally here with what you say about money and resources, even though it is a contributing factor. The police are also hampered by the European Law that protects the culprits first. Also the police don’t have tough powers to back them up. On top of that the courts are reluctant to send people to prison because of the shortage of space. All these factors work in favour of the criminals intent and against the decent honest citizen. The only way around this dilemma is for such security forces to work within their own moral guidelines and justice system.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 10 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I suppose it is a bit like the NHS and private health care.

Some think that the NHS doesn't provide what they need so they pay the extra for private care.

Same for education.

Doesn't mean they expect anything back from the government as recompense though.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 10 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

"Shirley is hardly a hotbed of crime"
Yes it is, it has a red light district and everything!

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 10 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 10 2009, 04:01 PM) *
In America well off societies use special security guards to police their area. They’ve become very popular. One of the reasons for this is that police have to work within government guidelines. Security guards know who their masters are and work to their specifications.
Very true. The Police have to work to a particular set of guidelines that (are supposed to) benefit us all.

Private security have the interests of whoever hired them at heart which is hardly concdusive to social cohesion.

In hiring private security these people are contributing the the very problem they are seeking to protect themselves from.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:19 PM) *
Very true. The Police have to work to a particular set of guidelines that (are supposed to) benefit us all.

Private security have the interests of whoever hired them at heart which is hardly conclusive to social cohesion.

As you said 'supposed to' benefit all. Sadly they don't. That is why certain groups within society have moved to the private sector. They only way we will over change things back to what they were is if the police become tougher.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 10 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 10 2009, 08:23 PM) *
As you said 'supposed to' benefit all. Sadly they don't. That is why certain groups within society have moved to the private sector. They only way we will over change things back to what they were is if the police become tougher.
Tougher policing, in time, breeds tougher criminals. Just look at America where in some situations they shoot first and ask questions later. Almost all criminals, even those involved in petty crime are armed. Criminals react in kind to the force exerted on them.

This is not what we want in this country, is it?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Tougher policing, in time, breeds tougher criminals. Just look at America where in some situations they shoot first and ask questions later. Almost all criminals, even those involved in petty crime are armed. Criminals react in kind to the force exerted on them.

This is not what we want in this country, is it?

OK... if we don't want tougher policing then what do we want? Accept the situation as it is now?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 10 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 10 2009, 08:31 PM) *
OK... if we don't want tougher policing then what do we want? Accept the situation as it is now?

Tougher, much tougher, punishments?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 10 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 10 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Better community policing.
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:42 PM) *
For all crimes or would you be selective?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:42 PM) *

I agree with you Biker, however, our friend doesn't share our views. I think, and I am surmising here, he'd probably reward them laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 10 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Hug a hoodie!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Better community policing.For all crimes?

And you reckon that will help? Sorry I don’t agree. Only tougher sentencing will deter people from committing crime. If you say “no it won’t” then my answer to that would be; at least it will punish them severally for what they’ve done. Bugger it as a deterrent then!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:03 AM