Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daily Limit?
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Commenting on anything and everything does not imply intellect as you have tried to suggest, it implies a need for attention. You've actually backed this up with the words "try observing"; you might as well have typed "look at me!!!".

That is absolute rubbish and your own interpretation. Basically you are saying that people can’t reply on too many posts otherwise people like you will think they are saying “look at me!!” Rubbish. I have many interests and the subjects I answer on I am interested in; in fact there are a lot of subjects I am not interested in, therefore I don’t reply. Iommi and Billy and a few others answer quite a few posts; are you saying the same about them? That is stupidity beyond words. To be honest I think you look at yourself to try to understand things and that is why you’ve come up with such rubbish.

Ironically, if you had not replied to this thread over and over again in such a rude manner and then posted your bizarre diatribe about religious icons, then perhaps I wouldn't have had a point. As it is you have demonstrated exactly what I was taking about. Thanks.

Actually my posts had added humour which you obviously didn’t get (I tried to lighten the mood). Fortunately others are not as narrow minded and lacking humour as you. All you have to do is read other peoples responses on here to see that.

Glenn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 9 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

How would you feel, (User) if you had reached your quota of posts and hadn't been able to make your last point?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 9 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 10:59 PM) *
That is absolute rubbish and your own interpretation. Basically you are saying that people can’t reply on too many posts otherwise people like you will think they are saying “look at me!!” Rubbish. I have many interests and the subjects I answer on I am interested in; in fact there are a lot of subjects I am not interested in, therefore I don’t reply. Iommi and Billy and a few others answer quite a few posts; are you saying the same about them? That is stupidity beyond words. To be honest I think you look at yourself to try to understand things and that is why you’ve come up with such rubbish.

Actually my posts had added humour which you obviously didn’t get (I tried to lighten the mood). Fortunately others are not as narrow minded and lacking humour as you. All you have to do is read other peoples responses on here to see that.

Glenn
I think it's pretty obvious that "try observing" means “look at me!!”.

I don't know why you've got so upset over this, I was speaking generally about many people who post on here.

Perhaps I hit a nerve, but before you respond please remember; every reply reinforces my original point.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 9 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I don't think having a daily limit would have the desired effect. Effective moderating might be a better idea, but I wouldn't really want that, although occasionally it would be desirable.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

I think it's pretty obvious that "try observing" means “look at me!!”.

No; it is pretty obvious to you, not to everybody; or putting it another way, that is how your mind interprets it.

I don't know why you've got so upset over this, I was speaking generally about many people who post on here.

Who said I was upset? I was replying to your post; that doesn’t equate with being upset in my book. To be honest I have found this a good debate and was interested in what others have said on the subject.

As for speaking ‘generally’; I know that because a few times you used the plural.

Perhaps I hit a nerve, but before you respond please remember; every reply reinforces my original point.

So if every reply ‘reinforces your point’ does that mean I can’t reply because you will interpret what I say as ‘reinforcing your point’? Sorry, but that is stupid.

Maybe every time you reply to me it actually ‘reinforces you point’ about how silly you are sounding.

You never hit a nerve my friend as this is only a debate, nothing else. I’ve been on too many forums to fall for that one.

P.S.

Using such poignant words like ‘nerve’ or ‘getting upset’ is a psychological ploy often used by people who try to rattle others into falling into their spidery web; nice try. But it doesn’t work on me. However, I will give you 6 out of 10 for effort. You forget I’ve read your other posts on other forums so I know how you work my friend. Probably that is why I enjoy debating with you; people who think they are ‘it’ usually end up falling into their own self made pit.

Keep up the good work my friend.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 10 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #26

Guests

What a strange thread. Seems to be deliberately provocative towards the erstwhile Mr R which is a pity. Without regular posts why have a forum? It's a close to free speech as one gets these days and if one person has more opinions so what, let that person express their views. If posts don't raise interest they won't get a response, if multiple posts provoke debate and discussion, well isn't that the purpose of forums? If you don't agree with them, respond, but don't try and shut down discussion because someone brings more opinions to the fore.

Colour me confused over this thread.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 10 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:23 PM) *
No; it is pretty obvious to you, not to everybody; or putting it another way, that is how your mind interprets it.
Unfortunately that's what it means. I don't think you realise what you are posting sometimes, you've done it three times already in this thread and have now clocked up a large number of frankly strange replies to support my original point.

Anyway, enough bickering. Point proved thanks to you.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 10 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:31 AM) *

And you, me, etc...

Being serious, some of us could do with more respect for the forum, hence why I suggested that better moderating might help. When one gets in to a slanging match, as have GMR and myself and indeed, User23 and GMR, it becomes a war of attrition and I suspect that although this might put people off, I suspect some enjoy reading the bicker.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Aug 10 2009, 02:51 AM) *
What a strange thread. Seems to be deliberately provocative towards the erstwhile Mr R which is a pity. Without regular posts why have a forum? It's a close to free speech as one gets these days and if one person has more opinions so what, let that person express their views. If posts don't raise interest they won't get a response, if multiple posts provoke debate and discussion, well isn't that the purpose of forums? If you don't agree with them, respond, but don't try and shut down discussion because someone brings more opinions to the fore.

Good reply.

I think the whole point of the thread was to provoke, rather than engage in honest debate.

If people didn’t like what a member says then they should ignore him or her and eventually he or she would have to move on. All you have do is look at responses to ones thread to judge the true worth. Sad really as there are some very good and intelligent debaters on here.

Regards,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 10 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

[/quote]

This must be from Dulux's Kitchen and Bathroom range! wink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:31 AM) *
Unfortunately that's what it means. I don't think you realise what you are posting sometimes, you've done it three times already in this thread and have now clocked up a large number of frankly strange replies to support my original point.

I think you’ve proved nothing. Just look at peoples replies on here to see that is so. I think your problem is you have a narrow understanding and anything that doesn’t conform to your way or thinking is dismissed.

At any rate you asked a question and people have answered you. Forget about what you think - as I’ve show that to be suspect - and observe what other people on here have been saying; that is where you will get your answers, not from your own mind.

Anyway, I am pleased that you have finished with your little games and I hope we now can move on and continue the intelligent debates on here.

I wish you all the best my friend,

Glenn

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 10 2009, 10:16 AM) *
And you, me, etc...

Being serious, some of us could do with more respect for the forum, hence why I suggested that better moderating might help. When one gets in to a slanging match, as have GMR and myself and indeed, User23 and GMR, it becomes a war of attrition and I suspect that although this might put people off, I suspect some enjoy reading the bicker.

You saying User and myself; but you should look where this all started. I would have been happy if this never had started in the first place.

User 23 obviously was bored and decided to come on here to have a bit of fun at other peoples expense. Apart from his blustering he hardly ever posts on here; if he was a regular poster things might have been different.

As for you and I; at least you were/ are a regular poster and we eventually sorted out our differences intelligently. Your objective (and you could say mine) was never to come on here to stir things up. User 23 has a different and sadder objective; that should not have been allowed. At least he got an answers to his question though wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 10 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

I only used User23 you and myself as we are the main 'culprits', but it could be anyone. In some ways, us three are similar, regardlass of intelectual integrity.

I think there are two nuisances, those that post too much (off topic material) and those that moan about people posting too much (off topic material)! tongue.gif

Perhaps we should have a mano mano thread, where people can take their squabble, rather like the GMR and Iommi one. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 10 2009, 11:04 AM) *
Perhaps we should have a mano mano thread, where people can take their squabble, rather like the GMR and Iommi one. tongue.gif

There is such a place; it is called Random Rants and it is on here laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 10 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I don't think there should be any restrictions on the amount that any one person can contribute.
If that were to happen then there are ways around it that those who wanted to could use.

I would certainly like to see more of the local community contributing to these forums as anyone's opinion (as long as it is legal and decent) is of value.

I cannot understand why more do not do this as it is widely promoted both in the newspaper and on the website.
Unfortunate for those who do not have access to a computer I know but that is life.

This would move the forum away from the "debating club" that seems to have evolved for whatever reason with the same contributors (myself included) appearing.

This is not the fault of the aforementioned but perhaps a lack of awareness by others of the availability of this facility to express ones views on local issues.

Anyone think of a way more variety of users can be attracted to these pages?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 10 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 10 2009, 11:20 AM) *
I don't think there should be any restrictions on the amount that any one person can contribute.
If that were to happen then there are ways around it that those who wanted to could use.

I would certainly like to see more of the local community contributing to these forums as anyone's opinion (as long as it is legal and decent) is of value.

I cannot understand why more do not do this as it is widely promoted both in the newspaper and on the website.
Unfortunate for those who do not have access to a computer I know but that is life.

This would move the forum away from the "debating club" that seems to have evolved for whatever reason with the same contributors (myself included) appearing.

This is not the fault of the aforementioned but perhaps a lack of awareness by others of the availability of this facility to express ones views on local issues.

Anyone think of a way more variety of users can be attracted to these pages?

You make some very good points. I would like to see more members on here posting on various subjects. I don’t think it is a case of certain members posting too much but more about those that post too little.

As for ‘debating club’; I think we can have both, again more members need to join in. There are no restrictions other than treating people with respect, no bad language and don’t abuse NWN’s hospitality. Which I don’t think people are doing. Apart from that these are very good boards with intelligent debaters on here.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 10 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Pay-per-post? ph34r.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 10 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 10 2009, 11:20 AM) *
It's because they are "drowned out" and the conversation moves too quickly for them to engage.

Remember Billy Bleach, the pub bore in The Fast Show

If you don't, imagine being in the pub and the same few people trying to get in on every conversation telling you they know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, or forever stating the obvious. You'd get pretty annoyed and leave if it happened over and over again, wouldn't you?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 10 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:05 PM) *
It's because they are "drowned out" and the conversation moves too quickly for them to engage.

Remember Billy Bleach, the pub bore in The Fast Show

If you don't, imagine being in the pub and the same few people trying to get in on every conversation telling you they know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, or forever stating the obvious. You'd get pretty annoyed and leave if it happened over and over again, wouldn't you?

I don't necessarily agree.

I am a fairly quiet person when out (or in) with others as I do not always find it easy to join in the conversation.
I find it much easier on these forums to make my point as you are not as you say "drowned out".

Everyone has an equal opportunity to have their say and it is heard with equal voice.

There is no volume or body language on this site as would be present say in the pub in a group conversation.

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 10 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

There are something over 250 registered members of this forum.

On a typical day I doubt if more that 30 or 40 post any comments at all. In fact if you look at the membership details the vast majority made just a handful of posts and were never heard of again.

Now why is that do we suppose?

Bored?
Did not find the debates interesting?
Just lost interest?

Or did they (heaven forfend) come to the conclusion that it was a very limited forum for a handful of people who were on the thing all day, every day, every topic?

If any of these missing (silent) members are still reading these posts it would be nice to hear from them as to why they do not write any more.

AND WELCOME THEM BACK.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:17 AM