IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to use trains, some helpful hints and the occasional quarrel.
Biker1
post Jan 11 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2017, 08:45 PM) *
The third world crap that is our railway strikes again. App states P7, nope it is P8 and the berk too busy gassing at the entrance didn't have a scooby. Of course the next train is delayed by half hour!!!

How to wind up AC even more!! wink.gif tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 11 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 11 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Three things angered me:

With 10 minutes to arrival, the app said P7.
When I got to P7 (the place it normally arrives on) there's no notice to say the Plymouth train has been diverted to P8. There's just a pointless 'welcome...' notice.
I return to the gate and there's just a bloke appearing to be chatting to his mate. I ask him where the Plymouth train is and he replies with a don't know I'll have to ask.

This is on top of the announcements being difficult to hear and the information boards being poorly implemented.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jan 11 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

This of course is the much vaunted public transport we are supposed to be using instead of our private vehicles. Thats of course if the unions let's em run in the first place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 11 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 11 2017, 10:21 AM) *
Three things angered me:

With 10 minutes to arrival, the app said P7.
When I got to P7 (the place it normally arrives on) there's no notice to say the Plymouth train has been diverted to P8. There's just a pointless 'welcome...' notice.
I return to the gate and there's just a bloke there appearing to be chatting to his mate. I ask him where is the Plymouth train is and he replies with a don't know I'll have to ask.

This is on top of the announcements being difficult to hear and the information boards are poorly implemented.

What app. was it?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 11 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 11 2017, 09:07 AM) *

It's all about automation and investment. One day, Andy will be met by an auto organ at the barrier, who will be very nice to him guide him to the right train. So when the investment programme is finished, we won't see any 'humans' on the station. Apparently this kitvand software is on beta test right now in railway management, where so far the executive level had been replaced.

Mind, by the time they get it working, Andy will be in his driverless car.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jan 11 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 11 2017, 10:47 AM) *
It's all about automation and investment. One day, Andy will be met by an auto organ at the barrier, who will be very nice to him guide him to the right train. So when the investment programme is finished, we won't see any 'humans' on the station. Apparently this kitvand software is on beta test right now in railway management, where so far the executive level had been replaced.

Mind, by the time they get it working, Andy will be in his driverless car.

Out of interest, and I don't wanna derail thread but why your deep interest. In driverless cars?

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 11 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 4 2016, 01:34 PM) *
I think you didn't quite get my drift there. That's why I said "as far as Newbury (or Reading if not stopping at Newbury)", i.e. changeover at the last stop before the wires run out. They presumably also need time to start the engines.

Assembled in the North East as shown on recent Michael Portillo TV prog:
http://press.hitachirail-eu.com/pressrelea...s-train-1686468

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 11 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 11 2017, 10:33 AM) *

In addition to building new fleets, Hitachi will maintain the trains at newly built facilities. By 2020 Hitachi will become one of the largest maintainer of UK trains. In total Hitachi will have 281 trains running on the UK network, carrying millions of passengers along intercity and commuter routes.

It's never going to happen. The unions will still be arguing over who closes the doors.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 11 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 11 2017, 10:22 AM) *
Out of interest, and I don't wanna derail thread but why your deep interest. In driverless cars?

Simply that it will bring a massive real paradigm change. Get it right and its good use of technology to solve some intractable problems in a sustainable way. It should help us make roads and therefore travel quicker and safer. It should eliminate a major domestic capital cost and ongoing mantenance worry. It should make the city and urban street scene cleaner and more pleasant. It should eliminate the signigicant downsides of mass public transport.It opens up much commercial potential. And no, I've no personal financial or other interest in the development of this technology.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 11 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 11 2017, 10:33 AM) *
Assembled in the North East as shown on recent Michael Portillo TV prog:
http://press.hitachirail-eu.com/pressrelea...s-train-1686468

Yes, very good; Hitachi are a good firm. Perhaps I'm getting too old but what would be wrong with us designing the train and managing its build. Perhaps, perhaps, but it might be too late.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 11 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Bombardier (Canadian) have had to downscale their UK operations as thanks to EU open tender process that we follow slavishly, meaning they can't compete on UK public sector contracts so too much rolling stock is from mainland EU especially Germany.

Financing is a key part of these proposals and Siemens have such an outrageously good credit rating they can always outbid virtually anyone in this area of tender.
Hopefully when we've left evil empire, we won't be so ham strung.
Would you ever expect to see anything other than French built trains in France/ German in Deutschland etc

I'm not hopeful that Khan's replacements for the Boris Bus will be UK built.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 11 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 11 2017, 11:30 AM) *
Simply that it will bring a massive real paradigm change. Get it right and its good use of technology to solve some intractable problems in a sustainable way. It should help us make roads and therefore travel quicker and safer. It should eliminate a major domestic capital cost and ongoing mantenance worry. It should make the city and urban street scene cleaner and more pleasant. It should eliminate the signigicant downsides of mass public transport.It opens up much commercial potential. And no, I've no personal financial or other interest in the development of this technology.

Muchof your concerns seem to stem from green issues? A little puzzled as to how driverless cars would address this. Electric cars maybe but driverless? How? And as to domestic capital costs you still need to buy the this thing. Not trying to be contentious but I don't see the argument.
I would enjoy discussion on the subject though

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jan 11 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 11 2017, 11:30 AM) *

so you get in a driverless car to drive to a paperless office, to login into your wireless laptop to do a job which could have been done from home in the first place. Remote working where possible should be promoted by employers, for employees. Just wondering how a driverless car reduces traffic if everyone was to own one.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 11 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 11 2017, 09:33 AM) *
What app. was it?

GWR

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 11 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jan 11 2017, 12:28 PM) *
so you get in a driverless car to drive to a paperless office, to login into your wireless laptop to do a job which could have been done from home in the first place. Remote working where possible should be promoted by employers, for employees. Just wondering how a driverless car reduces traffic if everyone was to own one.

Because driving can be managed and therefore optimised. Would also put the Piggy Bank out of business!.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jan 11 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 11 2017, 03:24 PM) *
Because driving can be managed and therefore optimised. Would also put the Piggy Bank out of business!.

Cryptic? Gibberish? Or just cryptic gibberish? dry.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 11 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 11 2017, 12:27 PM) *
Muchof your concerns seem to stem from green issues? A little puzzled as to how driverless cars would address this. Electric cars maybe but driverless? How? And as to domestic capital costs you still need to buy the this thing. Not trying to be contentious but I don't see the argument.
I would enjoy discussion on the subject though

You certainly arn't being contentious, all very valid points. Driverless cars against today's environment (fossil fuel / individually owned / proximity located) is actually feasibile today. Like most things, it's the next wave developments that bring the gain. So, if we extend the vision:-
- if you can simply 'call up' transport to arrive within minutes, why would you want to personally own and maintain it? Particularly if you had a choice of size / quality etc. on call.
- if your transport was designed simply to get you (and your immediate belongings) from a to b, it would not necessarily be as big / heavy as today's versions.
- if you didn't own it you wouldn't need to park it, if fact you wouldn't really care if someone else used it next provided when your next one came it was pristine. Common user vehicles can when not in use can be stacked rather than parked.
- with greater working from home your 'into work' commute is likely to be less distant a d less frequent.
- using separate transports for each leg of your journey means massively extending the on board 'fuel' store and so range.
All of this makes electric propulsion, even with today's store technology even more viable. On top of that there are trials on going to enable wireless power transmission in addition.
The main things getting in the way:
Need to remove the concept that 'your car' helps define you as a person
Understand you don't need to 'own' essentially domestic utilities
Need to substantially up 'service industry' ethos substantially
Need to properly plan and managed change, conceptually and economically

That is just the ramblings of an old man without stimulants; but it's getting closer technically. We could have a very pleasant future; which is sustainable and viable which is why we should concentrate on the vision and get some decent politicians.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 11 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jan 11 2017, 12:28 PM) *

Paperless office is here now as is working from wherever you want, for rather more people than can be imagined. The trouble is the wetware, particularly that in managerial or supervisory positions. It is hideously frustrating trying to get them to see this. However, you might have heard a recent pronouncement from the Bank of England, who see the end of a vast range of middle class jobs over the next decade. This should excite, get on top of this and we are riding the wave of the next industrial revolution, stand back and the wave is a tsunami.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 11 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 11 2017, 02:48 PM) *
Cryptic? Gibberish? Or just cryptic gibberish? dry.gif

I could reply but there is no educating pork.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 11 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Snow tomorrow. Wonder if it will be the wrong kind for the trains?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:54 PM