> NWN Promoting "Traditional" Blood Sport
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Dec 28 2014, 08:40 PM) *
As a self confessed townie, I don't mind admitting I'm against blood sports. However, as its circulation area is quite rural, I'm not surprised that a local paper should support it. There is still a pretty strong rural pro lobby but I don't think expressing an opinion can be construed as telling lies.

I think a paper should report what happens and leave prejudiced at the door; however, I see nothing wrong in a paper reporting about a drag hunt. The 'lie' is that it is reported as NWN promoting "Traditional" blood sport.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 29 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 28 2014, 10:40 PM) *
Here's last year's User.
Analyse that!

Nice one Biker laugh.gif They'll be telling us the Daily Telegraph isn't a Tory paper next!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 29 2014, 12:54 PM) *
Nice one Biker laugh.gif They'll be telling us the Daily Telegraph isn't a Tory paper next!

It reports a quote from a huntsman; so-what? It's a news item. I'm not saying the NWN is not pro hunting, only that Simon Kirby's OP is presented in the same deceitful manner he often complains of.

I see no problem reporting a popular local event. I would be upset of they refused to report similarly popular anti hunt meetings on the grounds of bias, but that hasn't been the case I believe. I certainly object to personal prejudice deciding what is reported by attempting to exploit the power of social networks and fora. That is every bit and ugly and unwelcome as a 'drag hunt'.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 30 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2014, 02:31 PM) *
It reports a quote from a huntsman; so-what? It's a news item.
I see no problem reporting a popular local event. I would be upset of they refused to report similarly popular anti hunt meetings on the grounds of bias, but that hasn't been the case I believe.

No comment or interview with the "less welcome" anti-hunt people they said were there though is there?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 30 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 30 2014, 08:08 AM) *
No comment or interview with the "less welcome" anti-hunt people they said were there though is there?

The NWN demonstrate a particular editorial bias in support of the "traditional" blood sport of fox hunting, gushing over the hunt like it was some children's panto and shielding the pro-blood sport narrative from any balancing opinion - if indeed there is anyone of standing within the Newbury establishment who would speak up.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 30 2014, 08:08 AM) *

So what? The comment was a reference to a quote. Can you bee sure there was not any other comment in any other column? I know they have done before; when the antis used to turn out in numbers.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I'll give him his due, David Rendal always stood up for the anti's - no matter what was thrown at him by the Country lobby. Indeed, I seem to remember there was more than a whisper that he actually lost the seat because of the rural vote, which went even more heavily to blue than the last time he stood. In purely commercial terms, as I'd suspect NWN would have a much bigger 'paying' following in it's areas, it's likely to pander to that audience. It's made its reputation as a not campaigning traditional shires weekly. It's not so much campaigning as education that's needed. Perhaps the recent editor appointment may herald change! Nonetheless, the cynic in me feels we'd see the Daily Mail ardently supporting green energy first!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2014, 10:40 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 30 2014, 09:48 AM) *
The NWN demonstrate a particular editorial bias in support of the "traditional" blood sport of fox hunting, gushing over the hunt like it was some children's panto and shielding the pro-blood sport narrative from any balancing opinion - if indeed there is anyone of standing within the Newbury establishment who would speak up.

[irony]I'm sure a paper run by you would have no bias[/irony] tongue.gif

Yes, there is an element of truth to your hyperbole, but your OP was misleading and obfuscated the truth, rather like the NWN?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 30 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 30 2014, 10:23 AM) *
I'll give him his due, David Rendal always stood up for the anti's - no matter what was thrown at him by the Country lobby. Indeed, I seem to remember there was more than a whisper that he actually lost the seat because of the rural vote, which went even more heavily to blue than the last time he stood. In purely commercial terms, as I'd suspect NWN would have a much bigger 'paying' following in it's areas, it's likely to pander to that audience. It's made its reputation as a not campaigning traditional shires weekly. It's not so much campaigning as education that's needed. Perhaps the recent editor appointment may herald change! Nonetheless, the cynic in me feels we'd see the Daily Mail ardently supporting green energy first!!

I almost mentioned David Rendel myself. He made a principled stand against fox hunting in a town where that was bound to lose him votes and he won my admiration for that, and I would have been very pleased to vote for him again as my MP pretty much on this issue alone. We now have a generation of politicians who believe in nothing lest they alienate voters.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 30 2014, 11:34 AM) *
I almost mentioned David Rendel myself. He made a principled stand against fox hunting in a town where that was bound to lose him votes and he won my admiration for that, and I would have been very pleased to vote for him again as my MP pretty much on this issue alone. We now have a generation of politicians who believe in nothing lest they alienate voters.

Someone who created a reputation of sitting on the fence on many issues that were politically sensitive, and a person who naively misinformed the public on the suitability of the western bypass route. Not to mention the vanity projects that were instigated under his 'reign'. His politics were as such that he didn't lose votes, more that he may have inspired the rural constituents to come out and vote against him after their previous election sulk.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 30 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I think some might be under the impression that a newspaper's first aim is to present a fair and balanced story, when actually it's to sell papers and make money.

This might range from repeating the same rumour over and over again, for example the Express and it's weather headlines:

to selective reporting of the facts based on what they think their readership might like to hear.

In other cases it's actually to manipulate the views of their readers to those of their benefactors. Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen should read Stick it Up Your Punter, The Story of the Sun Newspaper.

This is much more prevalent in national newspapers, of course.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 30 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2014, 12:43 PM) *
Someone who created a reputation of sitting on the fence on many issues that were politically sensitive, and a person who naively misinformed the public on the suitability of the western bypass route.

Correct. He did this because he had no power or influence over the route anyway so jumped on the popularity bandwagon despite the LibDems being a so called "green agenda" party.
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2014, 12:43 PM) *
Not to mention the vanity projects that were instigated under his 'reign'.

Right again.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 30 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 30 2014, 02:15 PM) *
I think some might be under the impression that a newspaper's first aim is to present a fair and balanced story, when actually it's to sell papers and make money.

This might range from repeating the same rumour over and over again, for example the Express and it's weather headlines, to selective reporting of the facts based on what they think their readership might like to hear.

In other cases it's actually to manipulate the views of their readers to those of their benefactors.

All correct, which is why it was highlighted in the first place in this thread by the OP

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 30 2014, 05:31 PM) *
All correct, which is why it was highlighted in the first place in this thread by the OP

Except the OP was cobblers and bias and has made me doubt the integrity of the poster. Not that's important of course.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:03 AM