> CoronaVirus, Nature will find a way
SirWilliam
post Apr 5 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #181

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 5 2020, 10:39 AM) *
11st fella and my BMI is fine. Hope you art least cross the road when you slowly pass people on your run. When I walk up the hill to the local shop I sometimes walk past "runners"...🤣🤣

Anyway..enjoy it while you can...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

Not part of my knowledge but I would think that a runner or cyclist was more at risk of contamination than a walker. They are, after all, going through the viral soup quicker so anything in the atmosphere would still be at face level before drifting to earth.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 5 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #182

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 5 2020, 10:39 AM) *
11st fella and my BMI is fine. Hope you art least cross the road when you slowly pass people on your run. When I walk up the hill to the local shop I sometimes walk past "runners"...🤣🤣

Anyway..enjoy it while you can...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

The problem we’ve got is people confusing exercise with leisure. There are families filling the lanes and footpaths who’ve never walked further than the car park to Pizza Hut out for a stroll. The government needs to define it. Easy enough really. A brisk walk, a run or a bike ride. Maximum two or even alone only. For some, proper exercise is an important part of mental well-being. There’d have to be the odd exception - single parents for example, but it needs a bit more definition.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 5 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #183

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 5 2020, 12:42 PM) *
Not part of my knowledge but I would think that a runner or cyclist was more at risk of contamination than a walker. They are, after all, going through the viral soup quicker so anything in the atmosphere would still be at face level before drifting to earth.

Not sure about that. We’re very lucky here though as it’s easy to get into the countryside for a run. I’ve stopped using the tow path as social distancing requires too much effort.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 5 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #184

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 5 2020, 01:51 PM) *
Not sure about that. We’re very lucky here though as it’s easy to get into the countryside for a run. I’ve stopped using the tow path as social distancing requires too much effort.

This is where an element of conflict comes into play. Now I walk to the shop(s), roughly 2 miles and therefore 2 back which is a nice stroll, but at the moment I am combining the two twice a week to stretch my legs and get food. This means I come in contact with those just out for a walk who otherwise drive to the shop. I have no alternative but a lot do. I am no more at risk of getting it than anyone else in this respect but I have no family to look after me if go down with it and I am certainly not calling an ambulance. So you can understand my frustration with those who are not taking it seriously. I am in no way inferring that you fall into this category but a section of society still does.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 5 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #185

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 5 2020, 03:27 PM) *
This is where an element of conflict comes into play. Now I walk to the shop(s), roughly 2 miles and therefore 2 back which is a nice stroll, but at the moment I am combining the two twice a week to stretch my legs and get food. This means I come in contact with those just out for a walk who otherwise drive to the shop. I have no alternative but a lot do. I am no more at risk of getting it than anyone else in this respect but I have no family to look after me if go down with it and I am certainly not calling an ambulance. So you can understand my frustration with those who are not taking it seriously. I am in no way inferring that you fall into this category but a section of society still does.

I’m in agreement to a large extent. People that don’t normally exercise are using the exercise justification to go out with the family. The fields near me are ridiculous at the moment. Filled with people I’ve never seen before. I kinda resent it but I realise I’m being a knob head and give myself a kick for being one. On the whole people are social distancing and behaving responsibly although there are exceptions. Families not going into single file when coming across people coming the other way is the most obvious example.

Fair play to you SirW for walking four miles to shop. Not many like to walk these days.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 5 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #186

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 5 2020, 04:04 PM) *
I’m in agreement to a large extent. People that don’t normally exercise are using the exercise justification to go out with the family. The fields near me are ridiculous at the moment. Filled with people I’ve never seen before. I kinda resent it but I realise I’m being a knob head and give myself a kick for being one. On the whole people are social distancing and behaving responsibly although there are exceptions. Families not going into single file when coming across people coming the other way is the most obvious example.

Fair play to you SirW for walking four miles to shop. Not many like to walk these days.

I walk pretty much everywhere .(hence my BMI) and power walk. Have cut down though and always wear a mask and gloves when shopping. Masks work. South Korea shows this. Hopefully British paranoia (me included) about face covering will cease after this.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 5 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #187

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 5 2020, 06:10 PM) *
I walk pretty much everywhere .(hence my BMI) and power walk. Have cut down though and always wear a mask and gloves when shopping. Masks work. South Korea shows this. Hopefully British paranoia (me included) about face covering will cease after this.

When you say "mask" I assume you are talking either surgical mask or N95 respirator? NOT the industrial dust mask obtainable from DIY outlets? Personally I would say that wearing the wrong type of mask is more problematic than none as it is a handy medium for the virus to latch onto before being ingested via the airways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 5 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #188

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 5 2020, 06:57 PM) *
When you say "mask" I assume you are talking either surgical mask or N95 respirator? NOT the industrial dust mask obtainable from DIY outlets? Personally I would say that wearing the wrong type of mask is more problematic than none as it is a handy medium for the virus to latch onto before being ingested via the airways.

I have both N95 and FFP3 respirators. I bought them in January as I could see what was going to happen...just dont reuse them multiple times. I also gave some up to front line workers.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 6 2020, 04:53 AM
Post #189

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 5 2020, 07:10 PM) *
I have both N95 and FFP3 respirators. I bought them in January as I could see what was going to happen...just dont reuse them multiple times. I also gave some up to front line workers.

I haven’t been to a supermarket or town since this started. I’ve actually just ordered 100 surgical masks (smallest number available) which I’ll distribute among extended family but masks are only really effective if everyone wears them. That said I think I read a surgical mask is 90% effective as a defence.

As for exercise my current regime is 4 runs a week and a long country walk (10 miles or so) at the weekend. We walk from home I should add and once we get 1/2 mile away we barely see a soul but the first 1/2 mile is very busy.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Apr 6 2020, 07:23 AM
Post #190

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 6 2020, 05:53 AM) *
I haven’t been to a supermarket or town since this started.

I actually live not far from Northbrook Street so town is difficult to avoid for me but I also haven't visited a supermarket since the lockdown came into effect. I would rather pay a premium at a corner shop e.g. One Stop, Premier than have to queue to get in and make an active effort to stay 2 metres away from everybody else while I am shopping. However, I do accept that many people are not as fortunate as myself and have no real choice financially but to visit a supermarket in order to save their money.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 6 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #191

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Apr 6 2020, 08:23 AM) *
I actually live not far from Northbrook Street so town is difficult to avoid for me but I also haven't visited a supermarket since the lockdown came into effect. I would rather pay a premium at a corner shop e.g. One Stop, Premier than have to queue to get in and make an active effort to stay 2 metres away from everybody else while I am shopping. However, I do accept that many people are not as fortunate as myself and have no real choice financially but to visit a supermarket in order to save their money.

I agree that the "local" shop is by far the better option but the problem arises with choice. They do not stock fresh meat, bread is very basic and at the moment fruit and veg is limited. It would seem that the great unwashed are still buying more than they need which only exasperates the problem. I am going to the supermarket later but if I am confronted with a queue then I shall turn round and it will be bread and pullet for dinner. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bonnie
post Apr 6 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #192

Advanced Member

Member No.: 127

Wow Sir William I haven't heard that expression for years,but as we lived in a cardboard box ,other medium available, we had dry bread and pullet laugh.gif

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 6 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #193

Advanced Member

QUOTE (bonnie @ Apr 6 2020, 10:07 AM) *
Wow Sir William I haven't heard that expression for years,but as we lived in a cardboard box ,other medium available, we had dry bread and pullet laugh.gif

Not had reason to use it before now. laugh.gif Just got back from a brisk walk to Sainsbury's and it was almost deserted. Still one or two gaps in the shelves and a few idiots who seem to think it ok to take up 3/4 of the aisle with their trolley but with a few fancy footsteps picked up from a certain tv series hopefully I returned unscathed. Most of the walkers had a pooch in tow so not to many out just for the sake of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 6 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #194

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Apr 6 2020, 08:23 AM) *

We've started using Fishers delivery for fruit & veg.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 6 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #195

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 6 2020, 12:57 PM) *
We've started using Fishers delivery for fruit & veg.

Statistically anyone moved to ICU has a 50% chance of recovery.
So I guess Boris is in real bother. Whether you agree with his politics or not I'm sure we all wish him to recover.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Apr 6 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #196

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 6 2020, 09:39 PM) *
So I guess Boris is in real bother. Whether you agree with his politics or not I'm sure we all wish him to recover.

After seeing pictures of somebody I know in ICU who has now recovered I definitely wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 6 2020, 09:01 PM
Post #197

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 6 2020, 08:39 PM) *
It is a serious development with Boris. I wish him a swift recovery. The last thing the country needs now is this... turning into an annus horribilis for everyone already. Only just into April..

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 6 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #198

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Apr 6 2020, 09:55 PM) *
After seeing pictures of somebody I know in ICU who has now recovered I definitely wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy.

Maybe those who are still not taking it seriously will wake up to the fact that this virus is not influenced by position/wealth/age/religion or anything else. If you come into contact you are at risk and how badly is down to pure luck, or lack of it.
We wish Boris well as everyone else who is in a similar position.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 6 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #199

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 6 2020, 10:14 PM) *
Maybe those who are still not taking it seriously will wake up to the fact that this virus is not influenced by position/wealth/age/religion or anything else. If you come into contact you are at risk and how badly is down to pure luck, or lack of it.
We wish Boris well as everyone else who is in a similar position.

Quite. My company lost its first employee today to this thing. Not old. Not previously ill.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 7 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #200

Advanced Member

Bit of levity in these troubled times.

Attached File  90011577_2592379451006242_398932423766704128_n.jpg ( 45.02K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:42 PM