Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question RE: The BID
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Can somebody tell me what the link is between the TCP and the BID, and what the future link will be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 29 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 29 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Can somebody tell me what the link is between the TCP and the BID, and what the future link will be?

Yes

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 29 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

They're both acronyms for organisations based in Newbury.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 29 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 29 2011, 01:56 PM) *
Yes

Your replies are getting as boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring and predictable as RG's post are short of perfection.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 29 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 29 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Your replies are getting as boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring and predictable as RG's post are short of perfection.

Perhaps the Grand Master has issued instructions...... tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 29 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I'd guess, as any BID is a partnership between the local authority and the local business community, and the Newbury Town Centre Partnership is one of the business community representative bodies, maybe the relationship is as required for a BID, and will continue to be so.

I don't know much, but looked here:
BID information

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Well, Russell Downing said at the NRA meeting a few months ago that there is no link, and that the TCP may or may not continue, he doesn't care either way. For those in the know, what is the link between the TCP and the BID?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 29 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 29 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Well, Russell Downing said at the NRA meeting a few months ago that there is no link, and that the TCP may or may not continue, he doesn't care either way. For those in the know, what is the link between the TCP and the BID?

There you are Richard you have now got some homework to do for the weekend. Ensure your research is thorough as we will all be asking questions on Monday! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 29 2011, 03:38 PM) *
There you are Richard you have now got some homework to do for the weekend. Ensure your research is thorough as we will all be asking questions on Monday! rolleyes.gif

Well, I want to know what the link is so I can ask my follow up!!! Apparently they are not connected... Apparently!!!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 29 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

As someone not in the know it seems to me that the TCP is floundering without much to do and increasely criticised for its lack of openness. If the BID happens I suspect the TCP will quietly disappear.

As for the link - well much the same people appear to be involved in both. This doesn't necessarily mean there is a formal link.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

OK. So the BID is SUPPOSED to be a democratic process that is led by the retailers themselves. The BID was apparently unconnected to the TCP, and the BID manager has made that very clear from the off.

But hold your horses for a second, because who will appoint the BID manager? Yes, that's right, that is apparently going to fall to the TCP to decide. We were led to believe that the TCP would no longer be required if we had the BID, but what's this? At the TCP meeting last week, Peter Atkinson (of the TCP) raised the issue of the TCP becoming the umbrella organisation of the bid. So effectively, it will be the same organisation, same unelected people who are far too important to allow the public or retailers to observe their meetings who ultimately decide what happen in future. All this about the TCP becoming a community interest company and all appears to be complete rubbish, because according to the minutes of the TCP meeting Peter Atkinson didn't raise the issue and no discussion took place.

It's time those who attend these meetings started to speak out, and ensure transparency or they will soon become tainted by attending the meetings. How can elected members who attend these meetings claim to support transparency when the organisation they are part of hide key discussions that if most retailers / supporters of the BID knew about may decide the way they vote. On a side issue, they also discussed me last week and that also failed to make the minutes. Amazing what you learn on a Saturday morning stroll around town!!!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 29 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 29 2011, 03:59 PM) *
OK. So the BID is SUPPOSED to be a democratic process that is led by the retailers themselves. The BID was apparently unconnected to the TCP, and the BID manager has made that very clear from the off.

But hold your horses for a second, because who will appoint the BID manager? Yes, that's right, that is apparently going to fall to the TCP to decide. We were led to believe that the TCP would no longer be required if we had the BID, but what's this? At the TCP meeting last week, Peter Atkinson (of the TCP) raised the issue of the TCP becoming the umbrella organisation of the bid. So effectively, it will be the same organisation, same unelected people who are far too important to allow the public or retailers to observe their meetings who ultimately decide what happen in future. All this about the TCP becoming a community interest company and all appears to be complete rubbish, because according to the minutes of the TCP meeting eter Atkinson didn't raise the issue and no discussion took place.

It's time those who attend these meetings started to speak out, and ensure transparency or they will soon become tainted by attending the meetings. How can elected members who attend these meetings claim to support transparency when the organisation they are part of hide key discussions that if most retailers / supporters of the BID knew about may decide the way they vote. On a side issue, they also discussed me last week and that also failed to make the minutes. Amazing what you learn on a Saturday morning stroll around town!!!

"
Hence the saying the Newbury Few! rolleyes.gif As I stated earlier "The same faces" wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 29 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

The NRA likewise is a local business body, and also has a role (and will do) according to the UKBID site (which may be as useful a source as I am).
The TCP is a long-established group, in some ways not dissimilar to some elements of a BID.
I cannot see that a BID group has to be 'democratic', but the Local authority has to answer to it's electorate and the NRA members see to their representatives.

It seems many BID schemes are overseen by an organisation like BIDUK (don't see Newbury in their list) but some are independent. Could it be Newbury has chosen to keep the scheme under local management? For all it is doubtless a quality organisation I cannot see UKBID having any local interest, and seems no more 'democratic'....

Regeneration schemes are often not totally democratic, but I doubt that is the decider as to whether they are good or not?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

How much of the BID levy will replace the WBC / NTC funding to the TCP that is being stopped?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 29 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 29 2011, 04:16 PM) *
How much of the BID levy will replace the WBC / NTC funding to the TCP that is being stopped?

Really, G-Man, there are things that people on here will know (or not, or just think they know) and there are things they will have an opinion on. So many of your questions are out of place on here, and should be directed to the proper body.
The fact you have a problem communicating with so many of the bodies you ask questions of is probably down to style more than their knowing the answer or not, or being embarrassed about it.

Why not ask the question in the proper place, then - if you like - ask us what we think of it?

I wonder the extent to which you quote comments on here as part of your research?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 29 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Really, G-Man, there are things that people on here will know (or not, or just think they know) and there are things they will have an opinion on. So many of your questions are out of place on here, and should be directed to the proper body.
The fact you have a problem communicating with so many of the bodies you ask questions of is probably down to style more than their knowing the answer or not, or being embarrassed about it.

Why not ask the question in the proper place, then - if you like - ask us what we think of it?

I wonder the extent to which you quote comments on here as part of your research?

Well, if the TCP voted to not talk to me or give me information, I can't direct questions to them as they won't answer them.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 29 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Richard, I'm still struggling to understand your issue with the BID. You still haven't made the argument for why either the TCP or BID should be open to you, or the public in general. I don't expect the Kennet Centre or Parkway to hold open meetings and invite enthusiasts, and I don't see how the TCP or BID are any different. That the TCP is a talking shop is surely the reason for its failure, and while I don't see that it's actually any of my business, I think a professionally managed and funded BID will do the town some good.

The BID will levy 1% on the rateable value of the businesses in the area. Big deal. The problem, if there is a problem, is the business rate levied by the Big Fat State - around 40% to 50%. And what about me - the Council tax levy is around 12% of my domestic rateable value, I also pay a levy of around 20% on my income, and I also pay another state levy of 20% on the stuff that I buy. The sooner the Big Fat State winds its neck in an allows business to do business and people to look after themselves, the better it will be for all of us.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 29 2011, 05:22 PM) *
Richard, I'm still struggling to understand your issue with the BID. You still haven't made the argument for why either the TCP or BID should be open to you, or the public in general. I don't expect the Kennet Centre or Parkway to hold open meetings and invite enthusiasts, and I don't see how the TCP or BID are any different. That the TCP is a talking shop is surely the reason for its failure, and while I don't see that it's actually any of my business, I think a professionally managed and funded BID will do the town some good.

The BID will levy 1% on the rateable value of the businesses in the area. Big deal. The problem, if there is a problem, is the business rate levied by the Big Fat State - around 40% to 50%. And what about me - the Council tax levy is around 12% of my domestic rateable value, I also pay a levy of around 20% on my income, and I also pay another state levy of 20% on the stuff that I buy. The sooner the Big Fat State winds its neck in an allows business to do business and people to look after themselves, the better it will be for all of us.

My issue with the TCP is that it's publicly funded, and they have talked about me in private and won't tell me what was said (I've got a pretty good idea). I thought you of all people would understand why that concerns me.

As for the BID, I fear it's just an extention of the TCP and retailers money will be funding the TCP rather than contributing to projects such as improving safety or xmas lights or whatever. The fact is, it appears more than a third of it will go on running costs. My concern from the off was that it was an exuse for the TCP to employ a highly paid executive, and it looks like my fears are going to turn out to be true.

BID's can be a good thing, but my concerns about the Newbury BID in it's present format are growing by the day. If it get's rejected, let's have another look in a couple of years and do it without predjudice from those who want it (The TCP Board).

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 29 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 29 2011, 06:11 PM) *
My issue with the TCP is that it's publicly funded, and they have talked about me in private and won't tell me what was said (I've got a pretty good idea). I thought you of all people would understand why that concerns me.

As for the BID, I fear it's just an extention of the TCP and retailers money will be funding the TCP rather than contributing to projects such as improving safety or xmas lights or whatever. The fact is, it appears more than a third of it will go on running costs. My concern from the off was that it was an exuse for the TCP to employ a highly paid executive, and it looks like my fears are going to turn out to be true.

BID's can be a good thing, but my concerns about the Newbury BID in it's present format are growing by the day. If it get's rejected, let's have another look in a couple of years and do it without predjudice from those who want it (The TCP Board).

There's no reason per se why the TCP shouldn't discuss any one of us in private, nor why they shouldn't make participation conditional on secrecy. It would be a concern if they were excluding you to suppress your criticism of the public authorities involved as it would be unlawful for the public authorities represented there to condone that, but it's not clear that you allege that specifically.

There must be a majority of businesses, both by number and size, for the BID to proceed. If the businesses aren't convinced, then it doesn't happen. That's about as democratic as it gets. I wish I had that choice with the Town Council, but I don't. I am obliged to pay a levy to this hopeless state institution even though I'd get a better quality of service for less money if the Town Council was abolished. Why can't I have a vote on this?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 29 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 29 2011, 07:18 PM) *
There's no reason per se why the TCP shouldn't discuss any one of us in private, nor why they shouldn't make participation conditional on secrecy. It would be a concern if they were excluding you to suppress your criticism of the public authorities involved as it would be unlawful for the public authorities represented there to condone that, but it's not clear that you allege that specifically.

There must be a majority of businesses, both by number and size, for the BID to proceed. If the businesses aren't convinced, then it doesn't happen. That's about as democratic as it gets. I wish I had that choice with the Town Council, but I don't. I am obliged to pay a levy to this hopeless state institution even though I'd get a better quality of service for less money if the Town Council was abolished. Why can't I have a vote on this?

I respect your view, but the town council is there to provide a role. Could it be run more cost effectively? I believe it could. But the BID is going to do nothing to help NTC as such.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:47 PM