TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #461

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

In other news..

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-covi...sharma-11990039

I will take the vaccine. I know some won't and good luck to them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 17 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #462

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2020, 08:03 PM) *

As will I and the sooner the better. I even volunteered to take part in the University of Oxford clinical trial but I never heard back from them after filling in the online form so I assume that my application was not successful.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 18 2020, 08:32 AM
Post #463

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2020, 08:03 PM) *
In other news..

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-covi...sharma-11990039

Assuming a vaccine does come online one hopes that it will be a planned programme and not a "free for all" rush to the quacks with shirt sleeve rolled up. If the figures are to be believed they are looking to inoculate half the population in the first phase, but my concern centres on those members of society who shun any form of vaccination for whatever reason. It has been established that C19 is here to stay globally which means it will continue to be a threat until everyone on the planet is treated which is best achieved by the developed nations having 100% coverage so their combined effort can then focus on the third world.
I know science has come on in leaps and bounds since Jenner introduced the smallpox vaccine at the end of the 18th century but it took nearly 200 years to eradicate so complacency should be avoided.
Personally I am leaning more to the herd immunity approach but it is not going to be achieved with out cost.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #464

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Does anyone actually believe there will be a vaccine by September? Everyone with any credibility has said minimum 12-18 months and suddenly Boris Johnson says 6 months? It’s more lies. I’d bet my house on it.

I’d absolutely be ecstatic to be proved wrong.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 18 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #465

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (newres @ May 18 2020, 12:24 PM) *
Does anyone actually believe there will be a vaccine by September? Everyone with any credibility has said minimum 12-18 months and suddenly Boris Johnson says 6 months? It’s more lies. I’d bet my house on it.

Yeah, but you said the Tories would lose in 2016, you also said we wouldn't vote to leave the EU, promised us the Tories would lose in 2019 and absolutely told us there would be a second referendum. So, not a good track record is it.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 18 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #466

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 18 2020, 12:24 PM) *

I remain to be convinced but I would also be happy to be proved wrong.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2020, 01:21 PM
Post #467

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 18 2020, 01:30 PM) *
Yeah, but you said the Tories would lose in 2016, you also said we wouldn't vote to leave the EU, promised us the Tories would lose in 2019 and absolutely told us there would be a second referendum. So, not a good track record is it.

Agreed that I appear to be in a rather large minority when it comes to politics but I know a liar when I see one. There is a difference here though in that I want to be wrong. Actually I want to be wrong about Brexit as well. I want it to be a success.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #468

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 18 2020, 01:30 PM) *

Incidentally I’ve unblocked you. I’m happy with banter and differing views. As long as we can avoid abuse. smile.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post May 18 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #469

Advanced Member

Looks like the app is now to be delayed. Also the 18,000 track and trace recruiting is screwed up as the government's contractors were sending emails at weekend to say the government had put recruitment on hold.

FUBAR is the only word that sums up the government's response. We all have to accept that things will go wrong, but everything?? And no holding up of hands when you get it wrong?

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 19 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #470

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (newres @ May 18 2020, 03:13 PM) *
Looks like the app is now to be delayed. Also the 18,000 track and trace recruiting is screwed up as the government's contractors were sending emails at weekend to say the government had put recruitment on hold.

FUBAR is the only word that sums up the government's response. We all have to accept that things will go wrong, but everything?? And no holding up of hands when you get it wrong?

For me at least, this simply demonstrates that the Country is fast becoming ungovernable. Whatever policy is created, whatever decisions are made, whatever results are published, its all so wrong. Let's just go back to our masters in Brussels with our hands up and white flag flying.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 19 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #471

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 19 2020, 01:24 PM) *
For me at least, this simply demonstrates that the Country is fast becoming ungovernable. Whatever policy is created, whatever decisions are made, whatever results are published, its all so wrong. Let's just go back to our masters in Brussels with our hands up and white flag flying.

How about we just go back to being competent?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 19 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #472

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 19 2020, 02:19 PM) *
How about we just go back to being competent?

How about the great unwashed taking responsibility for their actions? Forget what the government says or doesn't say, this is about taking a position that addresses the problem, but if a percentage, (albeit small), decide they have some god given right to "do their own thing" then it is a complete waste of time if the rest of us follow any directive. I agree Johnson is living up to his bumbling image but none of the others have come over in the best of lights either.

On a positive note I see sales of tonic water are rising dramatically. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post May 19 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #473

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 19 2020, 04:27 PM) *
How about the great unwashed taking responsibility for their actions? Forget what the government says or doesn't say, this is about taking a position that addresses the problem, but if a percentage, (albeit small), decide they have some god given right to "do their own thing" then it is a complete waste of time if the rest of us follow any directive. I agree Johnson is living up to his bumbling image but none of the others have come over in the best of lights either.

On a positive note I see sales of tonic water are rising dramatically. rolleyes.gif

I think until we were told to “stay alert”, on the whole people were. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m pretty much onside with the easing.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 19 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #474

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 19 2020, 04:27 PM) *

I was overjoyed to be able to purchase a pair of clippers today. I now look semi presentable for the first time in weeks.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 20 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #475

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 19 2020, 10:00 PM) *
I was overjoyed to be able to purchase a pair of clippers today. I now look semi presentable for the first time in weeks.

I have discovered it is nigh on impossible to do the back of the head so will remain scruffy for a bit longer in the knowledge that at least I shall get my moneys worth when I eventually get to a barbers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 20 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #476

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 19 2020, 07:18 PM) *
I think until we were told to “stay alert”, on the whole people were. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m pretty much onside with the easing.

My point was that though most were those who weren't have prolonged the agony. This virus doesn't travel on it's own, it's "walked" round the country by bipeds who are to thick to comprehend and allowed to by a government who is scared witless about offending the civil liberties brigade. With half decent planning and rigorous policing we would be back at work with half the death toll.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post May 21 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #477

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 20 2020, 03:39 PM) *
My point was that though most were those who weren't have prolonged the agony. This virus doesn't travel on it's own, it's "walked" round the country by bipeds who are to thick to comprehend and allowed to by a government who is scared witless about offending the civil liberties brigade. With half decent planning and rigorous policing we would be back at work with half the death toll.

It’s not the civil liberties brigade, on the whole it’s the right wing that want it lifted.

+Quote Post
newres
post May 21 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #478

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 19 2020, 10:00 PM) *

I had the foresight to buy some before the lockdown. 😉

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 21 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #479

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

We don't appear to be hearing much from the dear old LibDems these days. Wonder what they are up to?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 21 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #480

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 21 2020, 07:21 PM) *
We don't appear to be hearing much from the dear old LibDems these days. Wonder what they are up to?

Not a lot. But of course they never did a lot when they were around. One of the few advantages of this pandemic is the conspicuous absence of Libs/Greens/Environmentalists et al.

Did catch Piers Morgan interviewing the mayor of london this morning.........They are deserving of each other.

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 AM