Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Catch 22 and a tin of paint, Recycling the unrecyclable
regor
post May 13 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Yesterday, Wednesday, I took myself to the recycling facility on the south side of town with a mixed carload of "stuff".
All went well at first, 'wood' to the 'wood skip', 'cardboard' to the 'cardboard skip' etc until we came to the topic of 'Paint'. I asked the staff where the paint collection point was situated, (there used to be one at the old site) but was told that -
1. They could take oil based gloss paint because it was classed as a hazard and they had a duty to take hazardous items from the public.
2. They could take old dried up paint provided it had decomposed into a solid.
3. They could NOT TAKE any water based paint that was still liquid or semi-liquid.

I accepted this and went to put the water based paint in the general waste container but was stopped and told that it could not be taken as it was forbidden to put paint into landfill.

"So what should I do with this unwanted, part used water based paint." I enquired.
"That's your problem Guv, but don't you dare try putting it in your dustbin or the council will 'ave you." was the general sense of the various replies.

Suggestions to date include,
(a) Put it at the back of the attic and hope your grandchildren can dispose of it.
(cool.gif Paint 20 coats on a bit of wood and take that to the recycling facility.
© Leave outside the front door - somebody is certain to steal it.
(d) Keep moving it around until eventually you loose it.

So I turn to the forum with its wealth of wit and wisdom in search of any further suggestions

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JMH
post May 13 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

So I turn to the forum with its wealth of wit and wisdom in search of any further suggestions

If it's water based can't you just 'wash' it down your drains?

(now waiting for the fallout from that comment wink.gif )

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post May 13 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Guests

Join a "fur is murder" campaign, go stand outside Harrods, and slosh it over the first person who walks out with a chinchilla draped around their neck.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 13 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (JMH @ May 13 2010, 10:10 AM) *
If it's water based can't you just 'wash' it down your drains?

(now waiting for the fallout from that comment wink.gif )

Leave it outside your front door. A chav will almost certainly steal it within a few days and perform some local artwork with it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 13 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

regor, I had this issue many months back. I haven't, but you could just drive to a secluded spot in the country side and sling it in the ditch. Then it becomes someone else's problem. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 13 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 13 2010, 10:32 AM) *
regor, I had this issue many months back. I haven't, but you could just drive to a secluded spot in the country side and sling it in the ditch. Then it becomes someone else's problem. tongue.gif

Next time you go to the dump leave it against the wall and drive off. It's their responsibility to dispose of or recycle. Isn't this what we pay them for?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 13 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 13 2010, 10:32 AM) *

unfortunately too many people think this is exactly what you do.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 13 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 13 2010, 11:32 AM) *
unfortunately too many people think this is exactly what you do.

It's not surprising though is it if the place where you responsibly take your waste refuse to accept it.
It seems nonsense to be that they won't accept paint, a load of bureaucratic clap-trap.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
misc
post May 13 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

On a semi-related note, I went to drop off some old CRT computer monitors at the tip a few weeks ago. I was told that because I had more than three monitors in the car, this was classed as a "business" disposal and they wouldn't take them. I asked if I could drop off three of them now and then come back another day, but they told me that I'd been seen on the CCTV entering the tip with more than three, so they couldn't take any of them. In the end I was advised to go home, then come back with only three monitors in the car.

Utterly bizarre...

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 13 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (misc @ May 13 2010, 12:07 PM) *
On a semi-related note, I went to drop off some old CRT computer monitors at the tip a few weeks ago. I was told that because I had more than three monitors in the car, this was classed as a "business" disposal and they wouldn't take them. I asked if I could drop off three of them now and then come back another day, but they told me that I'd been seen on the CCTV entering the tip with more than three, so they couldn't take any of them. In the end I was advised to go home, then come back with only three monitors in the car.

Utterly bizarre...

It's nonsense isn't it. The tail is wagging the dog. angry.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
misc
post May 13 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 13 2010, 11:21 AM) *

To be fair, the guys at the tip seemed to agree that it was totally stupid. They told me that the only reason they went along with it was because it was all on camera and they could get into trouble if they went against "policy".

+Quote Post
Rachel
post May 13 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (misc @ May 13 2010, 12:44 PM) *
To be fair, the guys at the tip seemed to agree that it was totally stupid. They told me that the only reason they went along with it was because it was all on camera and they could get into trouble if they went against "policy".

Our school used to gladly take old half used pots of paint, used it for art & white was watered down for pitch marking....might be worth offering to your local school?
Failling that, take it back to B&Q/Homebase/DIY shop, doubt they could refuse to take it?
Or why don't you set up a paint re-use centre-we'll all bring our paint pots to you & you can mix them together & sell it on laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 13 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (misc @ May 13 2010, 12:44 PM) *

Yes, but it is a demonstration of blind obedience without exercising any common sense.
The result being you having to make several polution generating car journeys in order to comply with an inappropriate directive in your case.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 13 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 13 2010, 12:21 PM) *

It is what happens when you sub-contract out work.

The subcontractor uses every devious little trick so as to do as little work as possible, and charge as much as possible as often as possible for contract variations.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 13 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Reading seem to have it sorted so why can't we?

Follow the link here and it says "Small numbers (of paint tins) from DIY work, can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Several charities collect tins of usable surplus paint."

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 13 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (misc @ May 13 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Utterly bizarre...

Have two friends each take one

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 13 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 13 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Reading seem to have it sorted so why can't we?

Follow the link here and it says "Small numbers (of paint tins) from DIY work, can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Several charities collect tins of usable surplus paint."

It would seem they have an arrangement with charities to collect the paint, which Newbury probably doesn't at present

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 13 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I don't know if it still does, but the Greenham Project used to supply used tins of paint. Contact them if you have a surplus.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 13 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #19

Guests

Go down into town with it and paint in large letters on the road "Read these signs" with arrows pointing to the many rising bollard warning notices that are often ignored. They'd probably not notice these too, but it's worth a go Eh? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 13 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

[/quote]

Newbury Community Furniture, 01635 43933, will take it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:08 AM