Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Super Injunctions, What is the point?
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

The rich and famous think they can pay for super injunctions to protect privacy when patently everyone knows who the people are that have taken them out. If they don't want to be in the red tops perhaps they should refrain from certain nocturnal behaviour that they are obviously ashamed about rather than just expecting it not to be reported on or paying for it not to be so. I'm for freedom of speech and think that super injunctions are not a good idea as they restrict freedom of speech. Thoughts everyone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 08:30 AM) *
The rich and famous think they can pay for super injunctions to protect privacy when patently everyone knows who the people are that have taken them out. If they don't want to be in the red tops perhaps they should refrain from certain nocturnal behaviour that they are obviously ashamed about rather than just expecting it not to be reported on or paying for it not to be so. I'm for freedom of speech and think that super injunctions are not a good idea as they restrict freedom of speech. Thoughts everyone?

Who cares? I don't really care what people do in their private lives.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Who cares? I don't really care what people do in their private lives.

I don't either. But I do think you are missing the point.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 09:06 AM) *
I don't either. But I do think you are missing the point.

Not at all.

The tabloid press is interested in selling newspapers & making money - not in freedom of speech.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 08:20 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 09:16 AM) *
Not at all.

The tabloid press is interested in selling newspapers & making money - not in freedom of speech.

Again agreed. But why should they be stopped from reporting on something that sells newspapers unless it is in the national interest not to do so?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 09:20 AM) *
Again agreed. But why should they be stopped from reporting on something that sells newspapers unless it is in the national interest not to do so?

Would you be happy if it were you? Would you consider your self 'fair game'?

The media don't play fair, so why should they expect the 'celebrities' to do the same?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 09:27 AM) *
Would you be happy if it were you? Would you consider your self 'fair game'?

The media don't play fair, so why should they expect the 'celebrities' to do the same?

Yes - if I were rich, famous, courted celebrity and then went to a hooker to have a 'd***o' stuck up my nether regions whilst being spanked by a £200 time a go dominatrix then I would consider myself 'fair game'. These people earn a lot of wealth through courting celebrity. By doing so they open themselves up for criticism. It go's with the territory. They should not be 'protected'.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 17 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Wealth , prestige or position should not protect people from the glare of public scrutiny when the beheve in a manner unbecoming, they are happy enough to be in the glare of publicity when the want the attention. Its a door that swings both ways !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Yes - if I were rich, famous, courted celebrity and then went to a hooker to have a 'd***o' stuck up my nether regions whilst being spanked by a £200 time a go dominatrix then I would consider myself 'fair game'. These people earn a lot of wealth through courting celebrity. By doing so they open themselves up for criticism. It go's with the territory. They should not be 'protected'.

So if you were not rich, famous & courted celebrity and then went to a hooker to have a 'd***o' stuck up my nether regions whilst being spanked by a £200 time a go dominatrix & it was in the papers you'd be upset?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 10:16 AM) *
So if you were not rich, famous & courted celebrity and then went to a hooker to have a 'd***o' stuck up my nether regions whilst being spanked by a £200 time a go dominatrix & it was in the papers you'd be upset?

I suppose it would depend on my personal life. I'd be ashamed though and would half expect it - as part of the thrill for some of these people is the idea of being 'caught'.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 17 2011, 10:10 AM) *
Wealth , prestige or position should not protect people from the glare of public scrutiny when the beheve in a manner unbecoming, they are happy enough to be in the glare of publicity when the want the attention. Its a door that swings both ways !

Quite right. but Wealth , prestige or position should not be a reason to splash what would otherwise be a non-story all over the media.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 10:19 AM) *
I suppose it would depend on my personal life. I'd be ashamed though and would half expect it - as part of the thrill for some of these people is the idea of being 'caught'.

And apparently there is no such thing as 'bad' publicity.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 09:16 AM) *
Not at all.

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Quite right. but Wealth , prestige or position should not be a reason to splash what would otherwise be a non-story all over the media.

Surely that is a contradiction? If it were a non-story it would not sell newspapers! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 10:29 AM) *
Surely that is a contradiction? If it were a non-story it would not sell newspapers! laugh.gif

It isn't news. Story may be the correct word. But **** sticks.....

It always makes me laugh that The Sun - you know the paper with the tits on page three so schoolboys can go & have a **** - takes the moral high ground over such 'shag & tell' drivel. The Sun being the sister paper of the NOTW which used illegal phone tapping to get 'stories' & had a football pundit working for the same corporation fired cos he was about to go to court over the matter.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 17 2011, 10:40 AM) *
It isn't news. Story may be the correct word. But **** sticks.....

It always makes me laugh that The Sun - you know the paper with the tits on page three so schoolboys can go & have a **** - takes the moral high ground over such 'shag & tell' drivel. The Sun being the sister paper of the NOTW which used illegal phone tapping to get 'stories' & had a football pundit working for the same corporation fired cos he was about to go to court over the matter.

Come on then Dannyboy - Have you done something that needs investigating?? laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 17 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 17 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Come on then Dannyboy - Have you done something that needs investigating?? laugh.gif laugh.gif

I could not possibly comment.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 17 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

My view is that providing the celebrity has not previously raised him/herself on a platform and stated to the world that loyalty to ones partner is sacrasanct then what they do is between them and their consious and nobody's business but theirs.
However if they have been spouting publically about the sanctity of marriage or other moral positions and they succumb to temptation then they deserve to be exposed and should be.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 17 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

If you raise your head above the parapet be prepared for someone to take a potshot at you ! People cannot be selective about what the papers print, as I say if you don't want the limelight then don't attract the attention in the first place.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 17 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 17 2011, 10:55 AM) *
If you raise your head above the parapet be prepared for someone to take a potshot at you ! People cannot be selective about what the papers print, as I say if you don't want the limelight then don't attract the attention in the first place.

Quite my point and I agree whole heartedly. Super Injuctions are a slippery slope to gaging the free press.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 17 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

And it also kind of involves Judges making law up as they go along which is really worrying, we should have a degree of free speech in this country, its about the only thing the Americans have got right in my view.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:20 PM