IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Television and the state of mind of the UK.
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 27 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Guests

I asked my colleagues earlier today if anyone saw the superb David Attenborough documentary about the recently made public 47 million year old fossil found some 25 years ago in Germany that indicates a link between prehistoric creatures to humans.

They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and then carried on to discuss last night's Britains Got Talent.

Aaaaagggh! ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 27 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

C'mon Bill......a man who arranges flowers whilst his wife sings opera?? Primetime telly doesn't get much better or more thought provocing than that!!!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 27 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I've taped it and am looking forward to watching it. I've read quite a bit the subject and it looks very interesting documentary. It is a shame more people don't go in for this sort of stuff; it is educational and very, very interesting.

Talking about documentaries there is an interesting one on BBC 4 on Mondays about how the Irish influenced us at the time of the Roman conquest of Britain.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post May 27 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 27 2009, 02:24 PM) *
I asked my colleagues earlier today if anyone saw the superb David Attenborough documentary about the recently made public 47 million year old fossil found some 25 years ago in Germany that indicates a link between prehistoric creatures to humans.

They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and then carried on to discuss last night's Britains Got Talent.

Aaaaagggh! ohmy.gif

BGT is great fun - you dont know what your missing!
I actually saw a bit about this on The One Show last night, it was interesting but not sure if i quite believe the theory.....

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 27 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Bill1 - I understand completly where you are coming from.
Cheap TV to make and a general dumbing down of the masses.
It's all a plot if you ask me. BB10 starts in 9 days...... OMG

blink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 27 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 27 2009, 04:25 PM) *

blink.gif

At least you are aware that BB is starting soon... I didn't even know that... but then I don't check out such programmes. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 28 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 27 2009, 04:25 PM) *

blink.gif

Nooooooo! I dread this time of year... the news is always covering the BB latest. So lame.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 28 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

I feel a bit overexposed to BGT was quite glad the football was on last night just to get a break from it

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 28 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (J C @ May 28 2009, 10:18 AM) *
I feel a bit overexposed to BGT was quite glad the football was on last night just to get a break from it

I was out in town watching the match. I think it was a good game but kept finding myself being distracted by "unhappy and emotional" United fans.

Barcelona shouldn't have been in the Final, but that's another story.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 28 2009, 12:25 PM) *
I was out in town watching the match. I think it was a good game but kept finding myself being distracted by "unhappy and emotional" United fans.

I agree Barcelona shouldn't have been in the finals, but nor should United the way they played.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 28 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 28 2009, 12:25 PM) *

Very true! Blatter must be most pleased with the result

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 1 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (J C @ May 28 2009, 04:32 PM) *
Very true! Blatter must be most pleased with the result

I find the football players to be big girls blouses that should change carreers and go into acting for the hysterics they produce on the pitch and the amount of money wasted on them. I'll take rugby anytime. No drama queens and even when they have blood pouring down their faces they want back in the game. Real men playing a real game! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 1 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Road User @ Jun 1 2009, 08:54 AM) *
I find the football players to be big girls blouses

Yawn.

Sorry started falling asleep at that point couldn't be bothered to read the rest.

One word .........Eduardo!

Fair play to rugger buggers though, you cant beat a bit of eye gouging, spearing, raking, full on fist fights etc, but apparently it's all ok because they shake hands and have a beer together afterwards tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 1 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 1 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Yawn.

Sorry started falling asleep at that point couldn't be bothered to read the rest.

One word .........Eduardo!

Fair play to rugger buggers though, you cant beat a bit of eye gouging, spearing, raking, full on fist fights etc, but apparently it's all ok because they shake hands and have a beer together afterwards tongue.gif

Absolutely! They also have manly physiques! No Pretty boys in Rugby and if a fight does break out you know it's more then hand bags at dawn like you see on a football pitch! I recently saw a dive on the news and I don't know which team it was as I don't follow football but the camera angle quite clearly showed the two parties were not even within touching distance but the pretty boy still dove to the ground clutching his face like someone had thrown acid on him. The alleged offender was at least two feet away from him and had his hands clearly raised out of reach. Nothing like a drama queen! laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 1 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The best channel for good educational documentaries is BBC 4. They've had some brilliant programmes on recently.

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 3 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 1 2009, 04:46 PM) *
The best channel for good educational documentaries is BBC 4. They've had some brilliant programmes on recently.

Have you seen the program on Beowulf? It was fantastic! I have seen the site at Sutton Hoo and the man who was reciting the poem was great! He really brought it to life.

I love BBC4 they have some wonderful music documentaries too! The latest poetry programs have been an eye opener. More of these programs please! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 3 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #17

Guests

I agree about the BBC4 music documentaries, they are extremely well made and detailed, probably not for the reality TV brigade though as it's all substance and no froth or gossip.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 3 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Road User @ Jun 3 2009, 07:37 AM) *
Have you seen the program on Beowulf? It was fantastic! I have seen the site at Sutton Hoo and the man who was reciting the poem was great! He really brought it to life.

I love BBC4 they have some wonderful music documentaries too! The latest poetry programs have been an eye opener. More of these programs please! biggrin.gif

unfortunately I missed it, but as BBC 4 always repeats things I should get to watch it at a later date. Also; there is iPlayer.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 3 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 3 2009, 11:49 AM) *
I agree about the BBC4 music documentaries, they are extremely well made and detailed, probably not for the reality TV brigade though as it's all substance and no froth or gossip.

I doubt if the reality brigade would understand it anyway; if it hasn't got sex, abuse or soap mentality then it would probably be beyond them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 4 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 3 2009, 08:41 PM) *
I doubt if the reality brigade would understand it anyway; if it hasn't got sex, abuse or soap mentality then it would probably be beyond them.

Quite.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:39 AM