Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grid-lock
Iommi
post Aug 17 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Not really a rant, but anyone know why there was virtual grid-lock in town yesterday lunch time?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 17 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 17 2009, 10:19 AM) *
Not really a rant, but anyone know why there was virtual grid-lock in town yesterday lunch time?

I saw a big yellow lorry working on the Burger King (old Gowrings) roundabout. They have installed two lovely new speed limit signs and painted some new markings. Not sure if that caused it though. I needed to go to Thatcham Garden Centre on both Saturday and then again on Sunday (my mistake......doh!) at about the same time on both days (12ish). Both times it took me about 30 minutes and I live in West Fields. A lot of the bottleneck is taking place at the Sainsburys roundabout, when will they realise that things would improve if they just turned off these lights? Althougth as I understand it a lot of the senior WBC people responsible for Newbury's roads don't actually live here, so for them there is no problem!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 17 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

And we are all told that the by-pass was going to solve ALL our traffic problems FOR EVER! laugh.gif

Too many cars, too many people, too many traffic lights and a racecourse. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 17 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The traffic was worse than normal and I didn't know there were races on yesterday!

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 17 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 17 2009, 10:32 AM) *
The traffic was worse than normal and I didn't know there were races on yesterday!

There were races on Friday and Saturday, not sure about yesterday I thought it was a car boot.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 17 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

You all think we have trouble with congestion on the A339 now.
Just wait until the idiotic plan to build 1500 houses and a Hotel on the Racecourse land gets the go ahead, which it will in some form or another.
The town will regularly come to a standstill then and all of the potentially good work done to make the town attractive to shoppers by developing Parkway will be down the toilet.
I can't believe that this Racecourse plan is being considered in light of Newbury's traffic problem.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 17 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 17 2009, 10:42 AM) *
You all think we have trouble with congestion on the A339 now.
Just wait until the idiotic plan to build 1500 houses and a Hotel on the Racecourse land gets the go ahead, which it will in some form or another.
The town will regularly come to a standstill then and all of the potentially good work done to make the town attractive to shoppers by developing Parkway will be down the toilet.
I can't believe that this Racecourse plan is being considered in light of Newbury's traffic problem.

It will force people to get on their bike or shop outside of Newbury. Most people can’t stand shopping in Newbury anymore because of a lack of parking space and the attitude of wardens anyway.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 17 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Turn off the Sainsburys roundabout traffic lights. When ever they fail, no a queue to be seen. When working, the queues are caused by drivers entering the junction when the way ahead is not clear.

+Quote Post
Familytreeingfor...
post Aug 17 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 190

"Turn off the Sainsburys roundabout traffic lights. When ever they fail, no a queue to be seen. When working, the queues are caused by drivers entering the junction when the way ahead is not clear"

Totally agree! But the Council will never ever do it! Shame!

To build 1500 houses there will be a nightmare! Can you imagine Hambridge Road!!!!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 17 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Perhaps the answer is to take the right hand north and south lanes of the A339 over a flyover for light vehicles. This would significantly reduce the amount of traffic needing to enter the roundabout.

It could be paid for by S.106 money (developer's contributions) from the racecourse development.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 17 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

There should have been a North-South flyover or underpass (less obtrusive) years ago. That roundabout has always been a problem.

Another thing that annoys me is that the pedestrian lights outside Sainsbury's are not synchronised with the main junction lights. The number of times I have been stuck at the crossing with no pedestrian in sight while the main lights change to green and back to red again.... Grrr!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 18 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 17 2009, 07:31 PM) *
There should have been a North-South flyover or underpass (less obtrusive) years ago. That roundabout has always been a problem.

Another thing that annoys me is that the pedestrian lights outside Sainsbury's are not synchronised with the main junction lights. The number of times I have been stuck at the crossing with no pedestrian in sight while the main lights change to green and back to red again.... Grrr!

the lights crossing Kings Road turn to red only if a pedestrian presses the button. They are not connected to the main roundabout lights at all.

the pedestrian must have pressed the button & then crossed in a gap in the traffic, leaving no-one there by the time they turn red.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Well worked out, Dannyboy! smile.gif

I would never have known.

My point, which seems to have passed you by is that they should be connected to the main roundabout lights.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 18 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Familytreeingforever @ Aug 17 2009, 02:24 PM) *
But the Council will never ever do it! Shame!

the Council will never ever do it!

What's saying someone can't "accidently" cut the wire?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 18 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2009, 01:32 PM) *
Well worked out, Dannyboy! smile.gif

I would never have known.

My point, which seems to have passed you by is that they should be connected to the main roundabout lights.

No, I thought the logic had passed you by.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 18 2009, 05:38 PM) *
No, I thought the logic had passed you by.

In fact I did know how pedestrian lights work before your explanation smile.gif. Hence my somewhat facetious reply.

As for empty crossings, it's the thoughtless idiots who press the button first, then seeing the road is clear, cross over, leaving cars pointlessly sitting at the lights when they finally change.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 18 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2009, 10:55 PM) *
.....it's the thoughtless idiots who press the button first, then seeing the road is clear, cross over, leaving cars pointlessly sitting at the lights when they finally change.

Jay-walking... rolleyes.gif Us Brits are masters of the offence. Go to Germany and you will see rigid adherence to the red pedestrian light even when there's no cars coming..... 'The Brit Abroad', when caught up in this group of people waiting by the side of the road, will start to fidget, looking up and down the road, thinking "What are we WAITING for people...CROSS THE ROAD!!" before barging through and walking across on red. Much to the annoyance of the germans....

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 18 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 18 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Jay-walking... rolleyes.gif Us Brits are masters of the offence. Go to Germany and you will see rigid adherence to the red pedestrian light even when there's no cars coming..... 'The Brit Abroad', when caught up in this group of people waiting by the side of the road, will start to fidget, looking up and down the road, thinking "What are we WAITING for people...CROSS THE ROAD!!" before barging through and walking across on red. Much to the annoyance of the germans....

Same in the US. If you don't and a car, van, semi mows you down, that's a Darwin Award for you.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 19 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 18 2009, 11:22 PM) *

It is weird they wait patiently for these lights but if you show them a queue they will ignore it totally and go straight to the front.......go figure!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 19 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Can the legal beagles tell us if crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing against the lights is an offence in this country?

Since most people assume not, my beef was with people who press the button even if they can safely cross without stopping traffic. If they wait, then fine, but crossing an empty road after pressing the button is downright inconsiderate.

When I use a crossing and traffic is light, I'll usually wait for any car(s) to pass, then cross safely without pressing the button because as a driver I know how annoying it is.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:44 AM