IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family reunion at Shaw House is ruined after staff demand a four-week-old baby's buggy is taken out of the building
Rachel
post Aug 9 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 9 2009, 03:03 AM) *
Say goodnight to the troops Gracie. rolleyes.gif

Don't go Iommi-If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a cake!
Blimey, you lot really know how to 'debate', don't you?!! Maybe some of your humourous & intellectual comments will be read by those in higher places than this mere mortal working in the ranks?!! Hitler's demise could partly be atributed to his narrow minded, blinkered views, that be food for thought for others thinking of growing a mousthache!
Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye, until the 12th of never biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 9 2009, 03:03 AM) *
Say goodnight to the troops Gracie. rolleyes.gif

Good night troops.... we shall win the war in the end... remember; it is the end that a lot of beginnings started wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 9 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 9 2009, 10:07 AM) *
Don't go Iommi-If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a cake!
Blimey, you lot really know how to 'debate', don't you?!! Maybe some of your humourous & intellectual comments will be read by those in higher places than this mere mortal working in the ranks?!! Hitler's demise could partly be atributed to his narrow minded, blinkered views, that be food for thought for others thinking of growing a mousthache!
Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye, until the 12th of never biggrin.gif

Good luck old girl, think of us in the trenches wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 11 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 9 2009, 11:00 AM) *
Good luck old girl, think of us in the trenches wink.gif

Well, just when I thought there was nothing left to be said.....! Out of the blue I had a phone call today from a lovely lady who'd read the story in the Advertiser, saying how disappointed she was on my behalf. She'd gone to the effort of looking me up in the directory, bless her.
She'd recieved an invitation as a former pupil (Head girl, no less) & had gone along to meet up with old friends. She was shocked to be asked to pay (as had another poster-Graham, I think), had been disappointed at the restricted access, felt some of the renovations were ill advised & was very sad that the grounds were not as well kept as she thought they could have been, particularly that the mulberry tree wasn't pruned. She also knows the lady who was so rude, & felt that the staff there were rather officious.
BUT.......the most interesting thing to me was that she had enjoyed a cup of tea in the tearoom with a friend & her daughter who had a baby in a buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She also insisted that she had seen other buggys being pushed around the building during the 4 hours or so she was there. blink.gif

And, no, I still haven't recieved the access policy which I requested from Judith Mundy, manager at Shaw House. huh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 11 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Well, just when I thought there was nothing left to be said.....! Out of the blue I had a phone call today from a lovely lady who'd read the story in the Advertiser, saying how disappointed she was on my behalf. She'd gone to the effort of looking me up in the directory, bless her.
She'd recieved an invitation as a former pupil (Head girl, no less) & had gone along to meet up with old friends. She was shocked to be asked to pay (as had another poster-Graham, I think), had been disappointed at the restricted access, felt some of the renovations were ill advised & was very sad that the grounds were not as well kept as she thought they could have been, particularly that the mulberry tree wasn't pruned. She also knows the lady who was so rude, & felt that the staff there were rather officious.
BUT.......the most interesting thing to me was that she had enjoyed a cup of tea in the tearoom with a friend & her daughter who had a baby in a buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She also insisted that she had seen other buggys being pushed around the building during the 4 hours or so she was there. blink.gif

And, no, I still haven't recieved the access policy which I requested from Judith Mundy, manager at Shaw House. huh.gif

The one good thing that you did was put the story in the public domain. The trouble with our society is that we just moan and never do anything, you did (as I do – often if I am not happy with something). If we don’t complain how are those officials going to learn? Writing private letters/ emails just get torn up and thrown away. Putting it in the public sphere tells everybody what crap service such-and-such place gives; which hopefully will embarrass them and force them into a retreat. So good on you wink.gif .

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

This is a link to the PDF on the West Berkshire Council's website. It has no mention of 'buggy' access. Indeed, it says in the document:

If you need any assistance while at Shaw House please ask one of our friendly staff who are there to help you.

Here's the link: Access Guide to Shaw House Visitor Guide

Elsewhere on the site it says:

Young Visitors

Shaw House is very child friendly and young people are very welcome.

High chairs are available in the café.

Baby changing facilities are located in the men's and women's accessible toilets in the basement.

In the 1581 Chambers there are activities for you to do as a family and a Wheelie-Do trail of activities around the house.

We ask you not to bring prams/buggies into the house to protect the historic fabric. Please leave them in the buggy park outside. Hip seats are available from Reception.

Please supervise your children at all times and be aware of the possible risks, particularly staircases and lifts.

It says that chairs are unwelcome to 'protect the historic fabric of the building'. I wonder what is historic about a new beige carpet!

Here's the link: www.shawhouse.org.uk

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Iommi; what about handicapped people in wheelchairs?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 11 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Iommi; what about handicapped people in wheelchairs?

I highlighted the pertinent text, the links provided take you to the relevant information.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 11 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 10:47 PM) *
This is a link to the PDF on the West Berkshire Council's website. It has no mention of 'buggy' access. Indeed, it says in the document, "If you need any assistance while at Shaw House please ask one of our friendly staff who are there to help you."

Here's the link: Access Guide to Shaw House Visitor Guide

Elsewhere on the site it says:

Young Visitors

Shaw House is very child friendly and young people are very welcome.

High chairs are available in the café.

Baby changing facilities are located in the men's and women's accessible toilets in the basement.

In the 1581 Chambers there are activities for you to do as a family and a Wheelie-Do trail of activities around the house.

We ask you not to bring prams/buggies into the house to protect the historic fabric. Please leave them in the buggy park outside. Hip seats are available from Reception.

Please supervise your children at all times and be aware of the possible risks, particularly staircases and lifts.

It says that chairs are unwelcome t protect the historic fabric of the building. I wonder what is historic about a new beige carpet!

Here's the link: www.shawhouse.org.uk

Thanks for that Iommi, at least I've now seen it for myself. It hasn't changed my opinion, but I appreciate you finding that out for me.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 11 2009, 10:56 PM) *
Thanks for that Iommi, at least I've now seen it for myself. It hasn't changed my opinion, but I appreciate you finding that out for me.

Again, you'd think that the manger, who it seems to continue to treat you with contempt (I understand they are public servants - we tax payers fund their wages), would have made every effort to make up for her staff's alleged rubbish performance and poor publicity.

Wheelchairs:

Wheelchairs

To make your visit more comfortable we can loan you a wheelchair. We
have a 114kg (250lbs) chair which can be made available free of
charge, subject to availability

I wonder if the precious carpet can cope with a 250lb chair!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

By 'fabric' they don't mean it literally, carpets curtains are 'furnishings'.

By fabric they mean the bricks and mortar along with woodwork etc.

Buggies have wheels that can catch on corners (especially when parents allow their little darlings to push them around), doors and frames, along with other parts of the building. Wheelchairs are much less likely to be 'rammed' into walls.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 10:55 PM) *
I highlighted the pertinent text, the links provided take you to the relevant information.

Unless i read it wrong it wasn't very helpful.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2009, 11:08 PM) *
By 'fabric' they don't mean it literally, carpets curtains are 'furnishings'. By fabric they mean the bricks and mortar along with woodwork etc. Buggies have wheels that can catch on corners (especially when parents allow their little darlings to push them around), doors and frames, along with other parts of the building. Wheelchairs are much less likely to be 'rammed' into walls.

I know that, but I would like to refer you to the original news item:

“Mrs Carden said, the family wanted to know the reason why and were kept waiting for around 15 minutes before the manager came and told them it was to preserve the cream carpets laid down during the multi-million pound renovation works. Wheelchairs are permitted into the building whatever the weather.”

Source: Buggy ban ruins family day out

The thrust of the issue, however, was the alleged rudeness of some of the staff. They could have at very least had offered to go and fetch a Hip seat (that they have available from reception).

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 11 2009, 11:20 PM) *
Unless i read it wrong it wasn't very helpful.

Er... what were you expecting... the hanging gardens of Babylon! It is there in B&W tongue.gif

But just for you: Visitor's Information & Access Information

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

I'm always curious when I hear the thrust of a complaint being 'rudeness'. In my experience most people who work in any customer service role are rarely rude. On a recent flight from San Francisco, a mother who was determined to have her 5-year old sat on her lap for take-off accused the cabin crew of being rude. I heard the whole exchange, and rude is one word that did not sum up the actions of the crew.

Rude is a word used to describe someone who tells another what they really don't want to hear.

Another point, this is a public forum and the member of staff being accused of being rude may well come here and read that. I believe the word Slander may apply. Just a thought...

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2009, 11:35 PM) *
I'm always curious when I hear the thrust of a complaint being 'rudeness'. In my experience most people who work in any customer service role are rarely rude. On a recent flight from San Francisco, a mother who was determined to have her 5-year old sat on her lap for take-off accused the cabin crew of being rude. I heard the whole exchange, and rude is one word that did not sum up the actions of the crew.

Rude is a word used to describe someone who tells another what they really don't want to hear.

Another point, this is a public forum and the member of staff being accused of being rude may well come here and read that. I believe the word Slander may apply. Just a thought...

Sue me. tongue.gif I read the story in good faith and I would welcome the comments of the 'accused', but I did qualify the statement at the beginning of the thread with, 'if the story is an accurate portrait of events'.

In any case, the definition of rude as far as I am concerned is discourteous or impolite.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I doubt we will ever hear the other side as the council, along with many companies and organisations have strict policies on staff speaking to the media or engaging in forums regarding their jobs.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 11:21 PM) *
Er... what were you expecting... the hanging gardens of Babylon! It is there in B&W tongue.gif

But just for you: Visitor's Information & Access Information

I saw that... still not impressed. laugh.gif wink.gif

So if I was handicapped and in a wheelchair I'd have to swap my trusty old friend for a piece crap? That is not handicapped friendly in my view.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2009, 11:42 PM) *
I doubt we will ever hear the other side as the council, along with many companies and organisations have strict policies on staff speaking to the media or engaging in forums regarding their jobs.

Clearly, which includes apologising for their staff's rudeness. Alleged or otherwise tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

I don't think they are referring to turfing you out of a standard wheelchair (if you have one) but having on available for someone who may not need one normally.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 11 2009, 11:44 PM) *
Clearly, which includes apologising for their staff's rudeness. tongue.gif

Alledged rudeness.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 PM