IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Investigation into Election vote count.
On the edge
post Sep 17 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

This week's NWN reported that the investigation has been held and in summary, WBC's Chief Executive admits there were major problems. This was put down to poor supervision, lack of numeracy skills, tiredness and (of course) a computer system failure! Yes, the Thatcham North result is wrong. Anyway, nothing can be done about it as it would need a High Court challenge.

Phew, that's ok then! Good old Dave Goff's tin of whitewash will be empty soon....

(Just a couple of thoughts.

1 If our democracy is really so precious, wouldn't it be a right gesture if the Thatcham North incumbent simply resigned and the correct candidate appointed instead?

2. I trust we won't hear about any 'UK' observers wittering on about such issues in other parts of the World.)

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Sep 18 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

He also said the counters were not numerate - were they the WBC finance team per chance?

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Sep 19 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 17 2015, 05:09 PM) *
This week's NWN reported that the investigation has been held and in summary, WBC's Chief Executive admits there were major problems. This was put down to poor supervision, lack of numeracy skills, tiredness and (of course) a computer system failure! Yes, the Thatcham North result is wrong. Anyway, nothing can be done about it as it would need a High Court challenge.

Phew, that's ok then! Good old Dave Goff's tin of whitewash will be empty soon....

(Just a couple of thoughts.

1 If our democracy is really so precious, wouldn't it be a right gesture if the Thatcham North incumbent simply resigned and the correct candidate appointed instead?

2. I trust we won't hear about any 'UK' observers wittering on about such issues in other parts of the World.)

Whilst the 'rules' might not allow automatic appointment of the correct candidate, I completely agree that the Thatcham North incumbent should resign and there should be another election. I also feel that this result requires a more thorough independent investigation. I thought that was what the Electoral Commission was for, but it appears that yet again this is a part of Government that is self regulated.

Here is the Electoral Commission report: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__da...-2015-polls.pdf

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 20 2015, 06:44 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Certainly the honorable thing to do would be for the elected vandidate to resign, though as has been suggested I think, unless other candidates were to take advantage of the situation anf force an election, I think the council could just co-opt Lee Dillon if he was still eanting to stand.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2015, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

If we are talking of resignations then there is another which would have been expected in past times. Reading the WBC report, it's pretty clear that the Council's 'hands off' management approach has catastrophically failed. In effect, the election and count was a straightforward easily understood and well understood project. They knew exactly what was needed, the size and the nature of the job from Day 1. There is simply no excuse and the failures should have been noticed and identified as they arose by the management and by the executive. Even the Thatcham North declaration was obvious - the winning candidate had the best percentage result of any LibDem in the Country! Oh yeah!! But no...the bunnies were 'tired'!.

I think this is an absolute travesty and does call into question our democratic process. It also calls into serious question the management of the Council.

By the way, have we heard anything from the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire who is the Returning Officer? Or is that just another 'ceremonial' role?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 20 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 20 2015, 07:44 AM) *
Certainly the honorable thing to do would be for the elected vandidate to resign, though as has been suggested I think, unless other candidates were to take advantage of the situation anf force an election, I think the council could just co-opt Lee Dillon if he was still eanting to stand.

You got a bug on your keyboard wink.gif

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Sep 20 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2015, 08:04 AM) *
I think this is an absolute travesty and does call into question our democratic process. It also calls into serious question the management of the Council.

By the way, have we heard anything from the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire who is the Returning Officer? Or is that just another 'ceremonial' role?

The Returning Officer for West Berkshire is Nick Carter, the Chief Executive of West Berkshire a Council - a non elected, paid for position:

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/doc...%20Appendix.pdf

I believe the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire is a ceremonial position, although I imagine it carries some political clout.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 20 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 20 2015, 08:41 AM) *
You got a bug on your keyboard wink.gif

No, it's these new teeth...

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lolly @ Sep 20 2015, 09:39 AM) *
The Returning Officer for West Berkshire is Nick Carter, the Chief Executive of West Berkshire a Council - a non elected, paid for position:

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/doc...%20Appendix.pdf

I believe the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire is a ceremonial position, although I imagine it carries some political clout.

Yes, I stand corrected. The appointment is made by the Secretary of State where the constituency crosses district boundaries. I'd say that demonstrates we'd be even more justified in getting rid of the 'lets pretend' ceremonial roles like Mayor and Lord Lieutenant etc.

Way back, when I was involved in an election in the 1970s and a minor blip occurred, the Sheriff of the County explained that our Constituency's returning officer was actually 'acting'. Acting on behalf of the Sovereign's representative, the Lord Lieutenant. This was a deliberate separation of powers so that the co duct of an election was the responsibility of the Crown rather than the Government.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 20 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2015, 12:29 PM) *
Way back, when I was involved in an election in the 1970s

I thought you were involved in the last election, as a candidate?

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Sep 20 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Lovely snide remark from the WBC web manager

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 20 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 20 2015, 07:52 PM) *
I thought you were involved in the last election, as a candidate?

Yes, but there have been a good few before then.

Does this mean that like our innumerate WBC you hadn't appreciated that we have had many elections previously.....even some on the same day!

Still, mustn't criticise, or we'll be on a fizzer before Givernance and Ethics. Shame really, because given the admitted performance, start to finish, I can find plenty of other suitable words not necessarily beginning with n.

Yes, I did go to the count and yes where appropriate saw and pointed out errors. Having actually been involved in counts myself in other places I must admit I was surprised by the relaxed and almost amateur approach. I will save other observations for those who need them.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 21 2015, 09:06 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Sep 20 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Lovely snide remark from the WBC web manager

laugh.gif

I love our council so, so much .

I don't love the weather today though, it's a little chilly this morning

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:55 PM