IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thames Water..water down the drain for weeks, German Owned, but no German efficiency
gel
post Jun 1 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

It appals me what low priority Thames Water (Part German/Part Australian etc etc) give to fixing leaks. angry.gif

This lake just outside Peasemore was reported 2 weeks ago; week ago blue paint appeared on tarmac, but water continues to cascade down the Lane.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 1 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Looks like an angels wings.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 10 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

And 3 weeks later still cascading down Lane; birds appreciate for washing though mellow.gif

I see in today's press that Thames Water, like many overseas companies operating here, paid no Corporation Tax last year despite making good profit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22844952

Do remember, we're all in in together!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 12 2013, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I think it's bad, they would punish us with water restrictions, despite charging us the same, while doing this.
Grr.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 14 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 12 2013, 03:21 PM) *
I think it's bad, they would punish us with water restrictions, despite charging us the same, while doing this.
Grr.

Will be 4 weeks on Sunday, and flow is greater than ever; odd at the indifference of TW,
as about 1 mile away is Stanmore Reservoir,
so TW vans are driving through this flood daily.

The blue paint they sprayed at source of leak,
has now washed away too, as is some of tarmac at road edge dry.gif

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Jun 14 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I bet if the local farmer started to pump that water and use it on his crops, either Thames Water or the Enviroment Agency would be quick of the mark at trying to either bill him or apply for an abstraction license....

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 14 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Well at least the dirty side of their business is safe; they are demonstrably good at taking the p***!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 18 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Finally fixed; 4 weeks & 1 day after reporting smile.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 18 2013, 10:40 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (gel @ Jun 18 2013, 08:34 PM) *
Finally fixed; 4 weeks & 1 day after reporting smile.gif

Given the sheer volume of leaks across the water network, did you find out if there were other higher priorty leaks to fix?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 19 2013, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jun 18 2013, 11:40 PM) *
Given the sheer volume of leaks across the water network, did you find out if there were other higher priorty leaks to fix?

I know of others who rang after I reported (on web) and were told that leak wasn't reported.
Not very joined up departments it seems.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 19 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

The Kiln Road spring is still flowing nicely - but then it seems to be next to the site of the Utility Services 'x' factor finals. Quite surprised the gas people haven't built a depot there - would save them a lot of travel time.

I think I'd have a tad more sympathy for Thames Water if they hadn't reduced the number of crews in Newbury to reduce costs in the same month they agreed to pay their CEO a bonus of rather more than the saving.

Hasn't the Regulator been telling Thames Water to get on top of its system leaks since it was first privatised? Wonder what he's doing for the huge amount of public dosh he collects each year.

Seems like you really can fool all of the people all of the time.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Jun 28 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

Guess you all knew that Bob Collington (Big Wig at Thames Water) was awarded an OBE for Customer Service recently? My experience of TWs customer service (though I've been in contact with them by phone, email & direct meeting 100+ times in the past 6 months) would certainly not give me cause to propose anyone there for any awards what-so-ever. Mr Collington himself took my telephone number & said he'd call me to discuss a sewerage problem......still waiting 6 months on Bob. Someone noted the issue of departments not knowing what another had said. I'm not sure if that's a genuine problem or a smoke screen so that your case has to be opened anew every time you call? Even "Escalation" use this tactic; good luck to anyone who ever needs to call for the very service you pay a fortune for, you'll soon find out why monopolies don't work.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 29 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

"Escullation". I simply have to know what that means Rachel. Sorry about the troubles with TW.

I don't actually have an example at the moment of an angry problem but in the past I have written
to A mentioning that I have sent copies to B & C. At least wriggling out of doing anything would
make someone want to clear that darn letter!

Sometimes service comes as a complete surprise. Years ago I had an outside RCD power source installed.
It failed after a year. I opened it up to see if ants or spiders had set up home. Wrote to the makers(MK) as I had discovered that the item carried a 10 year guarantee in the Argos catalogue and sent the part that was visibly broken.
Needless to say I received a perfectly pleasant letter pointing out that as I had taken it to pieces
I was out of luck .Fair enough...... Wow. 2 weeks later I get a large parcel with a brand new device. About £115.00. 8 years ago.
Sorry. Not a monopoly ramble.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 29 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

On the Edge. In fairness TW have been digging up old inner city pipes in London for years installing new pipes to homes.
I have nice blue ones. Although I never leaked!
The Angel crossroads (east of Kings Cross) has often "SPRUNG A LAKE" Now there is a complete new system with an
underground control room the size of a tennis court. The traffic is very heavy so I hope the new roadway lasts as long.

The ring main around London will free up some good real estate land in some very nice parts of the city. There is a
reservoir in the middle of Highgate village.
ce

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Jun 29 2013, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jun 29 2013, 02:17 PM) *
"Escullation". I simply have to know what that means Rachel. Sorry about the troubles with TW.

I don't actually have an example at the moment of an angry problem but in the past I have written
to A mentioning that I have sent copies to B & C. At least wriggling out of doing anything would
make someone want to clear that darn letter!

Sometimes service comes as a complete surprise. Years ago I had an outside RCD power source installed.
It failed after a year. I opened it up to see if ants or spiders had set up home. Wrote to the makers(MK) as I had discovered that the item carried a 10 year guarantee in the Argos catalogue and sent the part that was visibly broken.
Needless to say I received a perfectly pleasant letter pointing out that as I had taken it to pieces
I was out of luck .Fair enough...... Wow. 2 weeks later I get a large parcel with a brand new device. About £115.00. 8 years ago.
Sorry. Not a monopoly ramble.
ce

Sorry, I've edited the typo-it was late when I typed last night! Incase further explaination is required,
if you have an on going complaint with TW & you feel you are being passed around to telephonists
who simply don't have the authority to help you (my issue is still ongoing since 20/12/12) you should ask for esalation-this means they must give you a direct contact who should call you to update you, and see your problem through to the end. My escalation team member was Anna Mundy....still waiting for your call Anna! Mind you, they only work mon-fri, and once they leave on a
fri the weekend team over rule their decisions so that by monday they all start again.
When TW announce their profits, I will sit and sob, knowing what hardship their inability to deliver a service we pay for has caused many people. Whatever way you look at things, if you pay for a service and it isn't delivered THEN the head of the company is awarded an OBE whilst your nearest & dearest have waded through effluent for weeks, you're not going to feel best pleased, right?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 30 2013, 08:27 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Rachel @ Jun 29 2013, 09:51 PM) *
Sorry, I've edited the typo-it was late when I typed last night! Incase further explaination is required,
if you have an on going complaint with TW & you feel you are being passed around to telephonists
who simply don't have the authority to help you (my issue is still ongoing since 20/12/12) you should ask for esalation-this means they must give you a direct contact who should call you to update you, and see your problem through to the end. My escalation team member was Anna Mundy....still waiting for your call Anna! Mind you, they only work mon-fri, and once they leave on a
fri the weekend team over rule their decisions so that by monday they all start again.
When TW announce their profits, I will sit and sob, knowing what hardship their inability to deliver a service we pay for has caused many people. Whatever way you look at things, if you pay for a service and it isn't delivered THEN the head of the company is awarded an OBE whilst your nearest & dearest have waded through effluent for weeks, you're not going to feel best pleased, right?
This is sometimes what happens when you privatise a public utility like water. It becomes about pleasing shareholders over customers and short term profit over long term infrastructure improvement.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 30 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 30 2013, 09:27 AM) *
This is sometimes what happens when you privatise a public utility like water. It becomes about pleasing shareholders over customers and short term profit over long term infrastructure improvement.

Yes, when water was publicly owned, we were leak free, and investment was unending. Shame it was sold off.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 30 2013, 10:57 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Thanks Rachel for putting my mind to rest. There is a word used in USA real estate "Escullation" which I guess means
escalation.

It does seem daft that something as complicated/or simple as a sewage problem cannot be moved on by a couple of bods getting their heads together and helping you out, as it is part of their job. Although it could be the householders side of the system they could still help you work out what to do.
Come along to the Dundas Arms tomorrow at 7.30PM and you can really let off steam.
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 30 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Jun 29 2013, 09:51 PM) *

Sadly its a monopoly and there are no market forces at work. Privatisation was therefore bound to fail, something recognised at the time, so a regulatory regime was set up. It is this that has failed.

I would strongly recommend you taking this to them. From personal experience, they will try and fob you off by telling you to follow their cumbersome administrative processes. The Regulators are actually public servants and although a quango are supposed to be representing you; the customer. You'll have to remind them of that a lot, BUT they are very well paid indeed to do this job.

Play them at their own game by pressing on fast and escalating. I'd also copy this into Richard Benyon the local MP who has had several run ins with water industry and whatever my own politics might say, I've been quite impressed by the results he gets.

My own dispute was about private sewers, where I had the combined forces of WBC and Thames Water trying to wriggle out of their statutory duties. In the end it was resolved properly; but I did have to make a personal call to the Regulators office; which caused them some surprise.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 30 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 30 2013, 09:27 AM) *

What, rather than it being about stroking politicians egos over customers and short term political advantage which created inappropriate infrastructure planning! The problem isn't privatisation, its monopoly conditions, which apply in both circumstances.

Sadly, age and size means like an elephant I don't forget. First, water was taken away from local government and rated (billed) separately, because there had been a significant history of underinvestment and separating the two functions would 'ring fence' water and bring the investment. Didn't work, so privatisation was introduced, to get the investment monies needed from the private sector. To protect customer interests regulation was a statutory condition. The water industry as we know generates much cash; privatisation does what it says on the tin! The bit that doesn't work is the regulatory control bit, or the 'public service' bit - what a surprise!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:57 PM