> Blatenet Pro-Hunting Reporting by the NWN
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

Thanks. I was being dense....

I see further biased reporting of the traditional Christmas walk around Ball Hill........ Nothing about the damage all those boots will have done to the soil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 30 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2011, 10:54 AM) *
I'd like to see how Biker1 would have reported the event.

He probably wouldn't have given it the oxygen of publicity.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 30 2011, 11:38 AM) *
He probably wouldn't have given it the oxygen of publicity.

Censorship is in itself a bias report.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 30 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Hmm. Is ignoring something the same as censorship? I'm sure a lot of other stuff goes on that doesn't get reported.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

'Not reported' is not the same as 'ignored', let alone censorship.

If no-one tells NWN an event is taking place (so they may send a reporter or invite a report) or sends in a report independently, it is hard to say the event has been ignored or censored. The editors role - alongside the commercial responsibility - is to ensure a broad spread of local flavour, content is legal and of genuine interest. While not perfect, the NWN has steered a path through many local events of national significance over the last 30-odd years, often being far more balanced than the nationals. Also, they have ruffled 'establishment' feathers.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 30 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 30 2011, 12:05 PM) *
'Not reported' is not the same as 'ignored', let alone censorship.

If no-one tells NWN an event is taking place (so they may send a reporter or invite a report) or sends in a report independently, it is hard to say the event has been ignored or censored. The editors role - alongside the commercial responsibility - is to ensure a broad spread of local flavour, content is legal and of genuine interest. While not perfect, the NWN has steered a path through many local events of national significance over the last 30-odd years, often being far more balanced than the nationals. Also, they have ruffled 'establishment' feathers.

There always appear to be two sides of interest?

Ensured they sat on the fence?

I must have missed an issue that time? rolleyes.gif Naughty NWN!

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #107

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 30 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Hmm. Is ignoring something the same as censorship? I'm sure a lot of other stuff goes on that doesn't get reported.

In my view, a paper wilfully ignoring something to deny that event 'oxygen of publicity', is censoring that event.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #108

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2011, 02:39 PM) *
In my view, a paper wilfully ignoring something to deny that event 'oxygen of publicity', is censoring that event.

I would agree, but when has it happened?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 30 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Agreed, and if enough people believe the alternative perspective has not been put forward then the opportunity exists to seek a follow-up.

Ensured they sat on the fence? Look back to the Greenham protests, the By-pass, Michael Ryan and the like. NWN did not sit on the fence, just reported what happened and were very mindful of the local needs. Having witnessed the behaviour of 'serious' national journalists post-Hungerford I suggest locals should be proud of the way the NWN handled matters.

I must have missed an issue that time? rolleyes.gif Naughty NWN! NWN and WBC were (are) almost at war for many years. The opacity of our council is largely due (I feel) to the reluctance to let the NWN know anything.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 30 2011, 03:20 PM) *
I would agree, but when has it happened?

I'm not saying it has, I'm commenting on JeffG's suggestion that Biker1 wouldn't give the event the 'oxygen of publicity', which in my view is another way of being biased, which is what Biker1 is accusing the NWN of in the first place.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 30 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #111

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

Agreed, and if enough people believe the alternative perspective has not been put forward then the opportunity exists to seek a follow-up.

Ensured they sat on the fence? Look back to the Greenham protests, the By-pass, Michael Ryan and the like. NWN did not sit on the fence, just reported what happened and were very mindful of the local needs. Having witnessed the behaviour of 'serious' national journalists post-Hungerford I suggest locals should be proud of the way the NWN handled matters.

I must have missed an issue that time? rolleyes.gif Naughty NWN! NWN and WBC were (are) almost at war for many years. The opacity of our council is largely due (I feel) to the reluctance to let the NWN know anything.

Therefore a slightly more progressive way of finding out what WBC are actually doing may be called for then perhaps? In depth questions asked?
Purely for the sake of the readers of course you understand, and plain english would be good too?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 30 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Precisely. RG has boundless energy, but is so determined to be political he leaves the topic obscured by clouds of his own making and makes it difficult for others to ask meaningful (straight) questions: following his start means the Council stance is set.

+Quote Post
oldharry
post Jan 2 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #113

Advanced Member

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 28 2010, 01:27 PM) *
May I start by stating quite categorically here that I DO NOT want to start a debate about Fox Hunting. It is banned and that is that.

What I am highlighting here is the blatant pro-hunting reporting that we have every year by the NWN as shown here and will, no doubt, be repeated in the newspaper.

Presumably you are not concerned at the blatant pro-motorcycling reporting by the NWN?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 2 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #114

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (oldharry @ Jan 2 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Presumably you are not concerned at the blatant pro-motorcycling reporting by the NWN?

T wat! tongue.gif
I think I am going to have to change my moniker on here because otherwise every time I enter a debate it will be turned into a motorcycling argument by this idiot!!

+Quote Post
oldharry
post Jan 2 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #115

Advanced Member

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 2 2012, 10:43 AM) *
T wat! tongue.gif
I think I am going to have to change my moniker on here because otherwise every time I enter a debate it will be turned into a motorcycling argument by this idiot!!

I asked a perfectly reasonable question. Why was it necessary for you to resort to abuse?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 2 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #116

Advanced Member

QUOTE (oldharry @ Jan 2 2012, 11:07 AM) *
I asked a perfectly reasonable question. Why was it necessary for you to resort to abuse?

Yes, Biker1 is guilty of double standards sometimes.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 2 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #117

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 2 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Yes, Biker1 is guilty of double standards sometimes.

As I said in another thread, Andy, I have tried over the years to be civil on this forum but others do not reciprocate.
Yourself being the main culprit.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 2 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #118

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 2 2012, 11:27 AM) *
As I said in another thread, Andy, I have tried over the years to be civil on this forum but others do not reciprocate. Yourself being the main culprit.

I always try to treat people how they treat me. I'll leave it to you to work out why you might think I am the rudest on here. wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:49 PM