Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dropping a kerb, Recommend a trader
Claude
post May 20 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,574

Why is this section called Random Rants? I don't want to rant, I'm just after some advice and a recommendation or two.

I've requested a quote from the council for dropping a kerb, and the term contractor can do it for a smidge over £1600. Of course, I'll be sourcing some alternative quotes, however, it's not clear who is authorised to carry out such work.

I've done a Google search and have come up with a couple of names, but more would be nice.

Does anyone in the know have a list of approved contractors in the Newbury area, or have you had your kerb dropped recently? If so who did you use?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 20 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Claude @ May 20 2013, 12:34 PM) *
Why is this section called Random Rants? I don't want to rant, I'm just after some advice and a recommendation or two.

I've requested a quote from the council for dropping a kerb, and the term contractor can do it for a smidge over £1600. Of course, I'll be sourcing some alternative quotes, however, it's not clear who is authorised to carry out such work.

I've done a Google search and have come up with a couple of names, but more would be nice.

Does anyone in the know have a list of approved contractors in the Newbury area, or have you had your kerb dropped recently? If so who did you use?

Thanks in advance

You can speak about anything outside Newbury or West Berkshire in this section. The other section is just for Newbury/ West Berkshire.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 20 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Random Wants...

I would think you would have to have a planning permission from someone.
The Planning Portal web page is the place to start if you do need to go down that path.

WBC is the local planning fellers. Maybe a phone call to find out if you need
permission. Things like safety, impact on neighbours could all be involved.

Quality of reinstatement..... hard to tell if the council preferred contractor or a night time
job by the 'lads' would get a better job done.

If you have to get permission the cost is only for the OS Maps. About £18.00.
It takes a bit of faffing about to fill in the forms on line.

You would have to pay someone to put up safety barriers, and make the tea.
ce

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 20 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

When I was in the building - almost 30 years ago - there was no approval as such of contractors, they just had to carry the requisite amount of public liability insurance. You needed planning permission, the works had to comply with building regs, and you would obviously need the permission of the landowner to do the works, and if its not local authority land you're crossing you'll also need a wayleave over the land.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 20 2013, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

If you choose to use a contractor who is not WBC approved I suspect you will find the fees for inspections etc will bridge the gap between the 'cheaper' quote and the Council one.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 20 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 20 2013, 09:30 PM) *
If you choose to use a contractor who is not WBC approved I suspect you will find the fees for inspections etc will bridge the gap between the 'cheaper' quote and the Council one.

I'm not sure that's correct. There are rules about approved suppliers of gas, electrics and double glazing but only because they can self certify but there is still a payment to the council for building regs application and approval.
Generally, whoever does the work then the building inspector will want to see that the work is done to the correct standard. That applies to most things, even installing an internal RSJ if a load bearing wall is knocked out. The initial payment covers the inspection(s) required to 'sign off' the job.

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 20 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Claude @ May 20 2013, 12:34 PM) *

Nice that someone else is posting up more regularly. smile.gif

You'll eventually learn that there is no place where you can not rant or moan on this forum. As the forum is so conductive to nice, light hearted discussion that you can only ever talk about the news or moan about a plant pot that some youths knocked over.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 21 2013, 07:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 20 2013, 10:58 PM) *
I'm not sure that's correct. There are rules about approved suppliers of gas, electrics and double glazing but only because they can self certify but there is still a payment to the council for building regs application and approval.
Generally, whoever does the work then the building inspector will want to see that the work is done to the correct standard. That applies to most things, even installing an internal RSJ if a load bearing wall is knocked out. The initial payment covers the inspection(s) required to 'sign off' the job.

I didn't claim it was 'correct', just suspected there will be a way WBC balances things out....

+Quote Post
Claude
post May 21 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

To be clear, the main purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone in the know has a list of approved contractors in the Newbury area, or have you had your kerb dropped recently? If so who did you use?

To provide everyone else with some additional information, which you may find enlightening, let me ellaborate on the process I've followed to date.

The WBC website has a section covering dropping kerbs and includes a number of downloadable resources: a request form, guidance notes, construction dimensions, FAQs etc.

I completed the request form including detailed sketches, and paid a mandatory application fee of £93. A site visit took place and I received confirmation that my request for vehicular access had been approved. (For info, if it was refused the £93 would have been refunded).

Included in the confirmation letter was the quote I had requested for the Council's term contractor to carry out the work (£1600).

If I can identify a third party who will do the work for me at a more agreeable price I have to submit another request to the council (FOC I hope), where they will check whether the contractor is approved to carry out works on the highway, and has the requisite insurance (£5m I believe).

Planning permission is not required, nor are building regulations, and as far as I'm aware, so long as WBC approve my choice of contractor there are no further fees to pay (other than the charge for completing the works).

The search for a cheaper quote continues, please post if you know anyone who fits the bill.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 21 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (motormad @ May 21 2013, 12:38 AM) *
You'll eventually learn that there is no place where you can not rant or moan on this forum. As the forum is so conductive to nice, light hearted discussion that you can only ever talk about the news or moan about a plant pot that some youths knocked over.

You do talk some bollocks sometimes Xjay. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 21 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Claude @ May 21 2013, 09:52 AM) *
......or have you had your kerb dropped recently? If so who did you use?

You might have to wait until the caravans arrive on Stroud Green.

+Quote Post
gel
post May 21 2013, 03:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 21 2013, 12:45 PM) *
You might have to wait until the caravans arrive on Stroud Green.

Careful or the PC Monitor may seek to "c"urb your comments!!

This on Wigan Council www; obviously cheaper up Nawth!

The standard charge for a typical dropped kerb crossing involving 5 kerbs as shown on the image above is £399.83 (October 2012).

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 21 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Claude @ May 21 2013, 09:52 AM) *
To be clear, the main purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone in the know has a list of approved contractors in the Newbury area, or have you had your kerb dropped recently? If so who did you use?

To provide everyone else with some additional information, which you may find enlightening, let me ellaborate on the process I've followed to date.

The WBC website has a section covering dropping kerbs and includes a number of downloadable resources: a request form, guidance notes, construction dimensions, FAQs etc.

I completed the request form including detailed sketches, and paid a mandatory application fee of £93. A site visit took place and I received confirmation that my request for vehicular access had been approved. (For info, if it was refused the £93 would have been refunded).

Included in the confirmation letter was the quote I had requested for the Council's term contractor to carry out the work (£1600).

If I can identify a third party who will do the work for me at a more agreeable price I have to submit another request to the council (FOC I hope), where they will check whether the contractor is approved to carry out works on the highway, and has the requisite insurance (£5m I believe)

Planning permission is not required, nor are building regulations, and as far as I'm aware, so long as WBC approve my choice of contractor there are no further fees to pay (other than the charge for completing the works).

The search for a cheaper quote continues, please post if you know anyone who fits the bill.

Give Elliplant a ring, they've done work for 't council. Also good for patios and driveways.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:30 AM