Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another planning application for The Blue Ball
David Allen
post May 14 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 571

Hi, I've just received confirmation that yet another application has been lodged for the demolition of The Blue Ball, Greenham Road, and erection of 8 two-story houses (WBC ref: 10/00778/FULMAJ).

I've been involved in seeing off two previous applications and I'm interested in hearing your views on the latest plans.

I live very close to the pub and it's not exactly buzzing with activity. Unfortunately, and like a lot of pubs, I suspect trade is slowing and profits thin. Is it time to give up objecting and let the developers in?

All views gratefully received, especially from locals living in the area, or customers of the pub.

Regards

David Allen
Newbury Town Councillor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 14 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Sadly, I suspect the need for housing is greater than the need for a pub. If the place has no real historic value, then I suggest it is curtains for the pub. If true, then let's hope the space is used well for the appropriate housing.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 14 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

A Pub is a Community asset.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 14 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 14 2010, 12:37 PM) *

It can be, but only if is is patronised. The only future for that place is if it diversified, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 14 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (David Allen @ May 14 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Hi, I've just received confirmation that yet another application has been lodged for the demolition of The Blue Ball, Greenham Road, and erection of 8 two-story houses (WBC ref: 10/00778/FULMAJ).

I've been involved in seeing off two previous applications and I'm interested in hearing your views on the latest plans.

I live very close to the pub and it's not exactly buzzing with activity. Unfortunately, and like a lot of pubs, I suspect trade is slowing and profits thin. Is it time to give up objecting and let the developers in?

All views gratefully received, especially from locals living in the area, or customers of the pub.

Regards

David Allen
Newbury Town Councillor

Although in my opinion the loss of character pubs is unfortunate it is largely dependent on people frequently using them in order to keep them a viable facility.
This in turn is dependent on people having the money to afford the now hugely expensive cost of a pint. In some local pubs a pint of Lager will cost £3.30. this cost made up from running costs, profit and tax.
I believe that if the pub is not a viable proposition then there is little to object to a properly applied for home building application.
My concern is that there seems to be little improvement to the local infrastructure to accomodate all of the additional planned housing particularly in the Greenham area.
It is likely to girnd to a halt.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 14 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Regards

David Allen
Newbury Town Councillor

Is this application for Social or Private Housing? If it is for Police / Nurses etc that cannot get on the Property Ladder but could do so with someone like say Sovereign via a part own scheme then I could see some merit in it. If it is for a profiteering Private Company I could not see any merit in it.

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post May 14 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

No, no, no!

Whatever people may think of The Blue Ball, it is trading successfully, and these continual efforts by some bunch of property sharks to replace it are unacceptable. Never imagine that these developers are motivated by a sense of contributing to the public good - I would be amazed if the proposal is for low-cost accommodation or anything other than expensive houses.

It would be sensible if there was a limit to the number of unsuccessful applications allowed - rather on the basis of three strikes and you're out.

The local CAMRA branch have had a number of meetings there and have supported the pub as much as possible, and will continue to do so. We can't afford to lose any more pubs.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 14 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ May 14 2010, 01:56 PM) *
No, no, no!

Whatever people may think of The Blue Ball, it is trading successfully, and these continual efforts by some bunch of property sharks to replace it are unacceptable. Never imagine that these developers are motivated by a sense of contributing to the public good - I would be amazed if the proposal is for low-cost accommodation or anything other than expensive houses.

It would be sensible if there was a limit to the number of unsuccessful applications allowed - rather on the basis of three strikes and you're out.

The local CAMRA branch have had a number of meetings there and have supported the pub as much as possible, and will continue to do so. We can't afford to lose any more pubs.

Is it a Punch / Enterprise 'pub'?

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post May 14 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 14 2010, 12:37 PM) *

Not this pub, I can assure you.

My brother has the misfortune to live in very very close proximity to it and I doubt he'd be annoyed to see it go. Or the haggard characters milling around outside it.

Dave, I think the only issue that will need close scrutiny is parking provision. With 8 houses on that site (worst case 16 cars - more if houses end up shared tenancy) I see it being very cramped and cars spilling into the already chocabloc New Greenham Road. I think 8 houses is a bit ambitious and they should sacrifice 1 or two for more off-street parking provision.

Is it Punch Taverns or Marstons that owns the pub these days? Do we know if this is another speculative application by a developer or one in conjunction with the landlord?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 14 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

In some local pubs a pint of Lager will cost £3.30. this cost made up from running costs, profit and tax.

Ahh, the beauty of the tied pub.....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 14 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I believe its owned by Punch Taverns - who are solely in it for the money, I don't suppose the proposal is for social housing.

The Blue Ball has plenty of historic meaning - it dates from before 1830. The manorial court for Greenham used to meet there.

David - I hope NTC will strenuously object to this application as to the previous ones. What sort of message will you be sending if you limply give in to developer persistence.

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post May 14 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 14 2010, 05:03 PM) *
I believe its owned by Punch Taverns - who are solely in it for the money, I don't suppose the proposal is for social housing.

The Blue Ball has plenty of historic meaning - it dates from before 1830. The manorial court for Greenham used to meet there.

David - I hope NTC will strenuously object to this application as to the previous ones. What sort of message will you be sending if you limply give in to developer persistence.

Hear, hear!

Incidentally the application number is 10/00778/FU, which will bring up the details online.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 14 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ May 14 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Hear, hear!

Incidentally the application number is 10/00778/FU, which will bring up the details online.

Oh yeah...I browsed excitedly to the website and got F all! angry.gif If they can't be arsed to put it up...smash the pub down I say! tongue.gif

http://publicaccess.westberks.gov.uk/Publi...searchform.aspx

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 14 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

The application number is 10/00778/FULD - but no documents have been put online yet.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 15 2010, 06:48 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Well that's three bloody numbers...anyone else like a go? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post May 15 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 14 2010, 07:18 PM) *
Oh yeah...I browsed excitedly to the website and got F all! angry.gif If they can't be arsed to put it up...smash the pub down I say! tongue.gif

What an intelligent and constructive response!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 15 2010, 07:09 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ May 15 2010, 07:59 AM) *
What an intelligent and constructive response!

How odd. I didn't think it was! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
David Allen
post May 15 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 15 2010, 07:48 AM) *
Well that's three bloody numbers...anyone else like a go? tongue.gif

Yes, looks like the original planning reference WBC gave me might be incorrect.

10/00778/FULD works, but there are no documents yet to look at. Probably be something uploaded late Monday/Tuesday.

Many thanks for comments so far. The application will probably be discussed at NTC's next planning meeting.

Unfortunately, the pub is not a listed building, so it makes a bit trickier to stop demolition and redevelopment.

Regards

David Allen

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 16 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (David Allen @ May 16 2010, 12:11 AM) *
Unfortunately, the pub is not a listed building, so it makes a bit trickier to stop demolition and redevelopment.

Listed status doesn't seem that effective at saving buildings round here - we lost six or seven to Parkway (several of them needlessly), Weatherspoons are aiming to demolish another, the owners of 45 Greenham Road managed to get in delisted and are now planning to demolish it.

+Quote Post
David Allen
post May 16 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 16 2010, 11:39 AM) *
Listed status doesn't seem that effective at saving buildings round here - we lost six or seven to Parkway (several of them needlessly), Weatherspoons are aiming to demolish another, the owners of 45 Greenham Road managed to get in delisted and are now planning to demolish it.

Can you let me know where the six or seven buildings were in Parkway?

Yes, Weatherspoons have an application to demolish a listed outbuilding but NTC, along with several other bodies, have objected.

The owners of 45 Greenham Road did not manage to get the building delisted; it was delisted some time ago, long before the current owners bought it. And NTC have objected to that particular application.

Regards

David Allen

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:15 PM