Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Queues!
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 24 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Why oh why can't some of the shops in Newbury have a 'cash only' till or the like?
Today I stood in Boots for the majority of my lunch break whilst everyone in front of me paid for items of a few pounds by cut out vouchers from magazines and newspapers, credit cards, store cards. Some even used two cards to pay for different things. Some had trouble remembering their pin number, others forgot something and wents back to get something else.

Give me a till where I can go to the cashier and pay my 3 pounds for my lunch!! It only takes me a few seconds to pay and get a receipt. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry.gif

All I want is to enjoy my lunch on a nice day like today and not be stuck in a queue!

Rant over.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 24 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 24 2009, 01:35 PM) *
Why oh why can't some of the shops in Newbury have a 'cash only' till or the like?
Today I stood in Boots for the majority of my lunch break whilst everyone in front of me paid for items of a few pounds by cut out vouchers from magazines and newspapers, credit cards, store cards. Some even used two cards to pay for different things. Some had trouble remembering their pin number, others forgot something and wents back to get something else.

Give me a till where I can go to the cashier and pay my 3 pounds for my lunch!! It only takes me a few seconds to pay and get a receipt. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry.gif

All I want is to enjoy my lunch on a nice day like today and not be stuck in a queue!

Rant over.

I agree!

They do this in the states and the other thing that would be very handy is pay at the pump petrol too!

How much time would it save if you didn't have to go into the shop and que up when all you want is to fill you petrol tank and go!

wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

You know what the problem is here; the shoppers. Nobody stands up and complains or if a sign says so many items they then don't use it because they‘ve got more items. If the other tills are full I use them (irrespective of how many items I’ve got). And if anybody says anything to me I tell them to open up other tills or would they prefer if I did my shopping somewhere else. Also I ask them to open another till? Why do shoppers hang around like lemmings and just moan instead up standing up for their rights? We get the service we deserve; crap.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 24 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 02:21 PM) *
You know what the problem is here; the shoppers. Nobody stands up and complains or if a sign says so many items they then don't use it because they‘ve got more items. If the other tills are full I use them (irrespective of how many items I’ve got). And if anybody says anything to me I tell them to open up other tills or would they prefer if I did my shopping somewhere else. Also I ask them to open another till? Why do shoppers hang around like lemmings and just moan instead up standing up for their rights? We get the service we deserve; crap.

Because most of us are polite? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 02:21 PM) *
You know what the problem is here; the shoppers. Nobody stands up and complains or if a sign says so many items they then don't use it because they‘ve got more items. If the other tills are full I use them (irrespective of how many items I’ve got). And if anybody says anything to me I tell them to open up other tills or would they prefer if I did my shopping somewhere else.

I wish you would if it is me behind you with my paper and tin of cola! angry.gif

I usually just dump the full shopping basket on the service counter and just walk out.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 24 2009, 03:15 PM) *
Because most of us are polite? laugh.gif

Exactly; and they know it and take advantage of it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 03:30 PM) *
I wish you would if it is me behind you with my paper and tin of cola! angry.gif

I usually just dump the full shopping basket on the service counter and just walk out.

At least you are showing them you are angry. If they want your custom then they must give you a proper and better service.

What annoys me even more is when half the tills are not in use and the ones that are have long queues. Even worse is when the 5 or less tills are totally empty and nobody has the intelligence to take their trolley to that check out. I have. And when I've said "do you mined" to the checkout girl she usually just laughs and says something like "More fool them" and nods in the direction of the long queues.

A friend of mine who is a manger at a grocery store said that there are no rules, but it is done for convenience. Nobody says that they can't use so-and-so checkout. People are so controlled/ automatons that they follow like sheep and do what they think is required of them.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 24 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 04:00 PM) *
A friend of mine who is a manger at a grocery store said that there are no rules, but it is done for convenience. Nobody says that they can't use so-and-so checkout. People are so controlled/ automatons that they follow like sheep and do what they think is required of them.

Great no rules and a free for all - Bring it on. I'll chuck your basket on the floor if you are in front of me and nick your place. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 24 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 24 2009, 01:35 PM) *

Rant over.

I quite agree TD&H

In fact I ranted on almost identically to yours on the old forum.

And not being funny but why oh why do so many people who are in no particular hurry e.g. pensioners have to shop during peak lunch time. angry.gifsad.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 24 2009, 04:14 PM) *
Great no rules and a free for all - Bring it on. I'll chuck your basket on the floor if you are in front of me and nick your place. tongue.gif

I agree that we need rules. However, they must apply to the supermarkets as well. We are not cattle to be herded in one direction. If tills are not open while the ones that are open have long queues, or the 5 or less section has no customers queuing then is it right for the rest of us to just stand their waiting like idiots? If that is your wish, then great; but I am not that stupid. And as I said; if people asked most food stores will oblige and let you through or open a till up. Most checkout staff usually laugh at the customers stupidity.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 05:09 PM) *
...Most checkout staff usually laugh at the customers stupidity.

I'd rather call it being polite.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 24 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #12

Guests

GMR why are you being so antagonistic today?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 24 2009, 05:26 PM) *

Today??

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 05:23 PM) *
I'd rather call it being polite.

Well, I suppose we can call it what we want laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 24 2009, 05:26 PM) *

I was just giving my opinion on checkouts, queues and their ways. Of course I appreciate that certain people want a certain answer to conform to their way thinking and if I've let people down I apologise. But I am not a conformist. I speak as I see, however, I am quite happy for somebody to challenge me if they don't agree with what I said, after all we are in a free society where a comeback is/ should be welcomed. Would people prefer me to give an answer that is acceptable to everybody else?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Today??

To be fair I do have my good moments wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 06:49 PM) *
I was just giving my opinion on checkouts, queues and their ways. Of course I appreciate that certain people want a certain answer to conform to their way thinking and if I've let people down I apologise...

This all might be true, but one of the common themes running through your posts is one of frustration about the lack of respect these days. I'd suggest your attitude to fast checkouts contradicts this.

These tills are there for the obvious reasons, for people with only a few items can get served quicker. If everyone were to adopt your idea, then they may as well remove them. Not having enough manned tills is frustrating, but the fast tills are there for the customer's convenience, not the store's.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 07:00 PM) *
This all might be true, but one of the common themes running through your posts is one of frustration about the lack of respect these days. I'd suggest your attitude to fast checkouts contradicts this.

These tills are there for the obvious reasons, for people with only a few items can get served quicker. If everyone were to adopt your idea, then they may as well remove them. Not having enough manned tills is frustrating, but the fast tills are there for the customer's convenience, not the store's.

Not at all; I think there is a lack of respect nowadays, however, that doesn’t mean we have to wait in queues like zombies. I am never nasty or rude, I just point out that they should open another checkout or if a till is open that is for 5 items or less and nobody is using it then somebody should use it (no matter how many items they’ve got); and Sainsbury’s or whoever agree. Using your intelligence is not a sign of a lack of respect. Also; if all the checkouts are full up – i.e. being used – then I accept the situation and wait like anybody else. It is when there are queues and half the checkouts are not being used; that is annoying (and people should say something).

I am always polite. You misread what I said.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 24 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I'm one of the fortunate people who can shop at any time, i.e. on a weekday, and usually Sainsbury's. But if I need to shop at a really busy time, then I go to Waitrose and scan my shopping with the hand-held scanner as I go round. Then pop my card in the quick checkout machine and away - no checkout queues smile.gif

Having said that, I still get caught out at Sainsbury's sometimes... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 24 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Not at all; I think there is a lack of respect nowadays, however, that doesn’t mean we have to wait in queues like zombies.

Even if someone wishes to use the quick tills because you, maybe selfishly, cannot wait like everyone else?

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 07:39 PM) *
I am never nasty or rude, I just point out that they should open another checkout or if a till is open that is for 5 items or less and nobody is using it then somebody should use it (no matter how many items they’ve got); and Sainsbury’s or whoever agree. Using your intelligence is not a sign of a lack of respect. I am always polite. You misread what I said.

The point is, should a sufficient number of people adopt your attitude (I agree there is no harm in asking), then we would effectively have no quick tills!

I might have misunderstood what you said, but I feel I didn't misread when I read, "If the other tills are full I use them (irrespective of how many items I’ve got). And if anybody says anything to me I tell them to open up other tills or would they prefer if I did my shopping somewhere else.", other than the subsequent humility you described, this lacked the one thing that would have altered my opinion of your attitude and that is a line that stated something like, 'provided no-one else was using the till'. This wasn't clear in your original post.

I still say though, to use the tills as you describe could be construed as being ignorant, if only that it might set a precedent which eventually renders quick tills pointless.

I do agree though that should queues form, one should ask for more cashiers.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:44 AM