Petra
post Nov 8 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,567

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 3 2015, 03:50 PM) *
http://info.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=31554
We may all as well go live in a cave! This is pretty poor stuff, from a modern so called caring society.

Dear Mr Machine,

A modern caring society must think of the greater good and not the individual. Hard decisions must be made in hard times, and hard times we have.

Yours

Petra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 8 2015, 10:21 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 7 2015, 08:29 PM) *
WBC might be more inclined to hand over their services, I don't know, but NTC sure as hull won't give up diddly. They care nothing for the quality of the service, the public cost, or the public involvement, their only concerns are their control, power and prestige.
NTC is just one town/parish council of 60 which (I think, you probably know better than I) has an annual budget of less than 10% of the savings WBC need to find.

I wouldn't get too fixated on one particular area in West Berkshire, this needs a solution to help all.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 8 2015, 12:00 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 8 2015, 10:21 AM) *
NTC is just one town/parish council of 60 which (I think, you probably know better than I) has an annual budget of less than 10% of the savings WBC need to find.

I wouldn't get too fixated on one particular area in West Berkshire, this needs a solution to help all.

I do take your point, and I don't see parish council savings as the whole solution. I don't know much about the other councils and substantial savings are anly likely to come from the handfull of town councils which may not have anything like the excesses of our own town council. At a guess there may be £2M to be saved?

As you know, the money isn't my chief concern, it's the fact that our town council is so disfunctional and is wholly failing to engage and empower the communities of Newbury, and one of the things that gets inthe way of them resolving their problems is their ridiculous obsession with power and prestige, so slashing the NTC budget is very much a win-win and the obscenity of them spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on essentially busy-work is more that usually poinant at the moment.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 8 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 8 2015, 01:00 PM) *
I do take your point, and I don't see parish council savings as the whole solution. I don't know much about the other councils and substantial savings are anly likely to come from the handfull of town councils which may not have anything like the excesses of our own town council. At a guess there may be £2M to be saved?

As you know, the money isn't my chief concern, it's the fact that our town council is so disfunctional and is wholly failing to engage and empower the communities of Newbury, and one of the things that gets inthe way of them resolving their problems is their ridiculous obsession with power and prestige, so slashing the NTC budget is very much a win-win and the obscenity of them spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on essentially busy-work is more that usually poinant at the moment.

One problem is they all appear to be totally disengaged from the population they are being payed to serve, they don't listen or even pretend to do so. Too busy swilling down their pink gin after a hard session polishing the regalia!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 8 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Petra @ Nov 8 2015, 09:42 AM) *
Dear Mr Machine,

A modern caring society must think of the greater good and not the individual. Hard decisions must be made in hard times, and hard times we have.

Yours

Petra

Ok so long as you are not the individual I suppose? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Oneilly
post Nov 8 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 8,987

QUOTE (Petra @ Nov 8 2015, 10:42 AM) *
Dear Mr Machine,

Yours

Petra

Rough translation sod you jack I'm alright!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 8 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Petra @ Nov 8 2015, 09:42 AM) *
Dear Mr Machine,

Yours

Petra

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 8 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Oneilly @ Nov 8 2015, 01:34 PM) *
Rough translation sod you jack I'm alright!

If we all cared and stood up we could get change, but we don't; so you are right. It is a case - for all - "I'm alright Jack".

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 8 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 8 2015, 02:40 PM) *
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

And that is what the masses have done.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 8 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 8 2015, 10:21 AM) *

Actually, you've enunciated the problem. West Berkshire needs a solution to help all. As you say, even taken together the Parish budgets, even the big ones, won't cover the deficit. Similarly, suggesting Communities (i.e. parishes) can choose to support or otherwise, means it won't be a solution for all. In fact, arguably such solutions would be divisive and discriminatory. All of this demonstrates that the Parish level proposal as presently designed isn't a viable option; for any parish. It's simply a political placebo. Nonetheless, there is a glimmer of positive thinking emerging as even daring to suggest other parties might be better placed to deliver services is a start. So then, the question is really how do we energise the West Berkshire community into action? As you rightly suggest, Parish Councils aren't the answer. They can't help even if they wanted to.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:15 PM