IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Proposed 60 mph speed limit, Will it REALLY cut pollution?
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I understand that hydrogen is manufactured by burning fossil fuel, so it also isn't a clean as might be considered.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 8 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 8 2014, 08:49 PM) *

Ah, so its a link war you want, is it! tongue.gif

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environme...ogen-energy.htm
http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/05/fuel-c...ergy-pros-cons/
http://www.livescience.com/5222-energy-deb...n-vehicles.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/05...fuels/index.htm

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 8 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 08:32 PM) *
I understand that hydrogen is manufactured by burning fossil fuel, so it also isn't a clean as might be considered.

There was an idea floating around at the end if the 70s, when we thought we were running out of oil. That was to build masses of nuclear power station; which can't easily be turned down or off. During the day they would generate a big demand and at night keep going at the same rate and the massive amount of 'spare' electricity would be used to make hydrogen. Hydrogen would then become the prime mover transport fuel. At the time that scared the proverbial out of politicians; lots more nuclear AND hydrogen. Depending on your viewpoint, nuclear might not be as sustainable as it seems either.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 8 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 08:20 PM) *
Big, big farts!

The SERIOUS point I was trying to make is that 60mph speed limits, running on electricity, hydrogen etc. is a futile gesture in the big shape of things. Cars & small vans make up a minority part of carbon emission / pollution caused by burning fossil fuels.
A 60mph speed limit, buying a Prius, or running your car on hydrogen will not much change the total emissions and their effects.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 8 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 08:32 PM) *

At the moment, that is so but this could be reversed in a few years time if the research with enzymes works out. The great advantage of burning hydrogen in an internal combustion engine is that the product is water which means no need for catalytic convertors and the associated environmental manufacturing costs. Smelly diesels and petrol engines would become a thing of the past and it well may be the fuel of the future.
I think there may be some entrenched views within the motoring world which will need to be overcome. The main one is the need to change the design of the vehicle. I suspect the future cars will be printed and become disposable after a set period. CNC printers are already getting close to that concept.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 8 2014, 09:06 PM) *
The SERIOUS point I was trying to make is that 60mph speed limits, running on electricity, hydrogen etc. is a futile gesture in the big shape of things. Cars & small vans make up a minority part of carbon emission / pollution caused by burning fossil fuels.
A 60mph speed limit, buying a Prius, or running your car on hydrogen will not much change the total emissions and their effects.

I think the idea is for a ripple effect and to encourage public debate. Even the USA and China are becoming more concerned about emissions. This issue will run for generations, but that isn't a reason not to start somewhere.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 8 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 8 2014, 09:06 PM) *

As I understand it, the proposal was to reduce NO2 which is a respiratory irritant, and that apparently comes mainly from cars. Diesels specifically. It's not about greenhouse gasses.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 8 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 09:13 PM) *
I think the idea is for a ripple effect and to encourage public debate. Even the USA and China are becoming more concerned about emissions. This issue will run for generations, but that isn't a reason not to start somewhere.

I was hearing on the radio just this week that smog is a huge issue in Asia, enormously more so than here (nowadays anyroad).

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 8 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 11:13 PM) *
This issue will run for generations, but that isn't a reason not to start somewhere.

Totally agree, but it has to be in an area where it will have some effect.
Perhaps by NOT building a new runway at Heathrow and actually REDUCING air travel and the need for it?
Reducing the speed limit to 60mph on a short stretch of the motorway is just playing lip service and will have ZERO effect.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 8 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 8 2014, 09:32 PM) *
Perhaps by NOT building a new runway at Heathrow and actually REDUCING air travel and the need for it?
Reducing the speed limit to 60mph on a short stretch of the motorway is just playing lip service and will have ZERO effect.

Like all government contentious announcements, there will be something that will emerge that they want to happen which will be less painful than the original and we will all go Phew, thank heavens they didn't do what they said they were going to do. I think it might termed be a red herring.

What do they really want. I have no idea but it will probably be that we have to polish our cars weekly so that the air resistance is reduced.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 8 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Hah, you win smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 9 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 8 2014, 09:32 PM) *

Yes, however, in this instance it is a trial, presumably to measure effectiveness?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 9 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 8 2014, 11:13 PM) *
Hah, you win smile.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 9 2014, 10:13 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 9 2014, 12:25 AM) *
Yes, however, in this instance it is a trial, presumably to measure effectiveness?

They claim it to be a trial but it would not be a "trial" it would end up "just being".

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 10 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

For people like me who didn't have a clue what triggered this thread, here is a link:

http://news.sky.com/story/1191319/drivers-...way-speed-limit

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 10 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I am wholeheartedly in favour of the 60mph limit to slash pollution. My only criticism is that it should slightly lower, say 55mph.

Time is running out for our world to save itself from the catastrophe of climate change.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the whole country adopt this more rational speed limit. It would help slash gas consumption, air pollution and reduce the severity of collisions.

Bring it on!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 10 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 10 2014, 12:38 PM) *
I am wholeheartedly in favour of the 60mph limit to slash pollution. My only criticism is that it should slightly lower, say 55mph.

Time is running out for our world to save itself from the catastrophe of climate change.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the whole country adopt this more rational speed limit. It would help slash gas consumption, air pollution and reduce the severity of collisions.

Bring it on!

*Cobblers* tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 10 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Bring it on!

Are you American?

Rather than that you need to tackle things GLOBALLY. We are just a drop in the ocean. China is by far the worst country for pollution. Cows pollute more than cars. We can make beef without the need for cows anymore. Can we kill all the cows and the Chinese?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron
post Jan 10 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

Our world will save itself no matter what we do. We might not be here to see it though, just like the Dinosaurs.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:16 AM