> Signed for Royal Mail?
gel
post Dec 29 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

PUZZLE:

Often post/parcels supposed to be signed for is delivered and no signature obtained;
is this commonplace, as sender obviously is paying a premium for that service but doesn't seem
to be getting.
This only applies with Royal Mail it appears.

Do others have same experience as a matter of interest?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 29 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

It is another scam they have. Just like the sorry you were out cards that get posted without an attempt to check if anyone is in. In deed, they sometimes don't even take the parcel with them sometimes.

Here's another one, if you send a sign-for letter to, say, the NHS, they get put in a bag and the recipient is handed a bar-coded sheet representing all the sign-for in the bag and they just sign the sheet.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 29 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It's all a bit of swindle anyway, I never understood why you want to pay extra anyway for a service that doesn't appear to have any value. I do believe that recorded delivery gives you insurance upto £39 which is a plus I guess.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 29 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

It would have value if it did what it is meant to do.

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Dec 30 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

I've noticed this with Royal Mail, and indeed with other parcel companies. Still, I think the main value is in being able to prove that you sent the parcel and then point the finger at either parcel company or the recipient if they claim not to have recieved it.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 1 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

According to my source of knowledge on all things postal,any item sent via the Royal Mail signature required system,be it special delivery or royal mail signed for ( the old recorded delivery ),will require a signature at the point of delivery by the person it is addressed to.
This signature must be obtained and presented back at the office when the delivery man returns or he will need to explain his actions to his superior.

A "Royal Mail signed for " item carries no compensatory value and only proves delivery to the addressee .

The Royal Mail Special delivery ( akin to the old registered mail ) has a two tier compensation for loss insurance .

Hope this clears a few things up.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 1 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

A friend of mine used Royal Mail signed for to send correspondence to the Information Commissioner's Office and the NHS. In both incidence the delivery wasn't recorded. Trying to complain to the Post Office proved useless. Talk about obfuscation. You are thrown from depatment to department until you give up.

The Post Office claimed that they were looking into abandoning the Royal Mail signed for service because it is flawed. If there is a particularly big load to deliver to a single address, not every parcel/letter will be signed for and the bar code entered back at the office.

Use special delivery, as Royal Mail signed for can be a rip off that the Post Office are aware of, but are currently unwilling to do anything about (except collect our money).

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jan 1 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I paid for signed for on 15th december, first class arrived on the 30th, lucky it wasnt a christmas present!! Utterly rubbish.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 1 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

TO be fair though Ossy, signed for doesn't mean a faster service. I would expect 1st class to get there a bit quicker than 2 weeks but out of those 14 days there were 4 weekend days, and 2 bank holidays. 8 days still seems a little slow.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 1 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 1 2010, 11:21 AM) *
According to my source of knowledge on all things postal,any item sent via the Royal Mail signature required system,be it special delivery or royal mail signed for ( the old recorded delivery ),will require a signature at the point of delivery by the person it is addressed to.
This signature must be obtained and presented back at the office when the delivery man returns or he will need to explain his actions to his superior.

A "Royal Mail signed for " item carries no compensatory value and only proves delivery to the addressee .

The Royal Mail Special delivery ( akin to the old registered mail ) has a two tier compensation for loss insurance .

Hope this clears a few things up.

Recorded/signed for delivery carries automatically £39 worth of insurance according to their website. Also surely signed for doesn't necessarily prove that a package was sent or received, just that something was.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jan 1 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 1 2010, 12:53 PM) *
Recorded/signed for delivery carries automatically £39 worth of insurance according to their website. Also surely signed for doesn't necessarily prove that a package was sent or received, just that something was.

Sorry, I am missing the point. Surely by using signed for you are proving you sent 'something' and that the recipient received that particular 'something'.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 1 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I could tell you I have posted a cheque and then leave it out of the envelope. You sign to say you've received it, open the envelope to find no cheque and are rightly upset, would you accept the proof of posting and assume it had got lost in transit?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM