Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Victoria Park Pavillion: Reloaded
Andy Capp
post Apr 29 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I see after an abortive attempt to 'liberate' a boggy underused part of Victoria Park, the authorities will attempt another sacking early this summer. I understand that plans for the coveted pavilion are on-going and this time they plan a wooden horse to breach the park's defences. This wooden horse will take the form of a design 'competition' for the pavilion building.

Beware steering groups bearing gifts!

http://www.newburytowncentre.co.uk/tcpminutes110318.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 29 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 29 2011, 03:08 PM) *
I see after an abortive attempt to 'liberate' a boggy underused part of Victoria Park, the authorities will attempt another sacking early this summer. I understand that plans for the coveted pavilion are on-going and this time they plan a wooden horse to breach the park's defences. This wooden horse will take the form of a design 'competition' for the pavilion building.

Beware steering groups bearing gifts!

http://www.newburytowncentre.co.uk/tcpminutes110318.pdf

No surprise there then? We all know that the Pigeon Loft Pavillion will go ahead no matter how many object as it ever been any different in Newbury? If a competition is arranged any bets on who will be the winner? wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 29 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 29 2011, 08:53 PM) *
No surprise there then? We all know that the Pigeon Loft Pavillion will go ahead no matter how many object as it ever been any different in Newbury? If a competition is arranged any bets on who will be the winner? wink.gif

Anything to do with a Surrey town, suburb of London, and a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the wings of an eagle? Why not, if their entry is the best?

I'm not comfortable with the idea of this building on the proposed space. There was a plan for refreshing the Wharf, that included some modification of the S side of the park, but with a much more sensitive (in my view) proposal.

Too often 'someone' in a persuasive position gets a 'good idea' and decides where it should go and uses Chinese Water Torture techniques to ensure it happens. Often the project is more to do with personal ego than the big picture. Generally, lethargy means the debate is about when, not if the project will progress....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 29 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

How about something like this lock keeper's hut (image courtesy http://www.funkypancake.com)

Add a couple of park keepers and the job's a good 'un. Saves a couple of hundred thousand quid into the bargain.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 29 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I feel quite sad that things like this have to happen to what is becoming more and more precious commodity: green open space for all. This seems to be a top down effort. I disliked the way the cinema was brought into being, but at least that came from the people as it were. Same goes to a lesser degree for the skate park. The new Parkway development throws an ominous shadow over the park from one side, and now we have the prospect of an 'attack' from the other side from a pavilion.

Why can't things just be left alone? Every development encroaches on public space making it evermore exclusive. The Parkway design was bad enough, but even then the little bit of concession for public space will be built over for another 'anchor' store.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 30 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 29 2011, 11:31 PM) *
I feel quite sad that things like the this have to happen to what is becoming more and more precious - green open space for all. This seems to be a top down effort. I disliked the way the cinema was brought into being, but at least that came from the people as it were. Same goes to a lesser degree for the skate park. The new Parkway development throws an ominous shadow over the park from one side, and now we have the prospect of an 'attack' from the other side from a pavilion.

Why can't things just be left alone? Every development encroaches on public space making it evermore exclusive. The Parkway design was bad enough, but even the little bit of concession for public space there will be built over for another 'anchor' store.

And so it ever was- and probably always will be until ordinary people take a personal interest? Taxpayers are only there to supply the income for the developers and local councils - otherwise ignored. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 30 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 30 2011, 10:13 AM) *
And so it ever was- and probably always will be until ordinary people take a personal interest? Taxpayers are only there to supply the income for the developers and local councils - otherwise ignored. wink.gif

This is the point. Most people don't really care.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 30 2011, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 29 2011, 10:38 PM) *
I'm not comfortable with the idea of this building on the proposed space. There was a plan for refreshing the Wharf, that included some modification of the S side of the park, but with a much more sensitive (in my view) proposal.

I don't remember any overall wharf scheme that didn't involve building even more on the park than the most recent pavilion design.

The latest (most recent) overall plan that has been made public:
http://consultationfinder.westberks.gov.uk...%20Brochure.pdf

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 30 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The scheme I remember precedes that in the document in the link. I'll have to dig a bit, but it was a Lib Dem idea, I think..... The pavilion in this scheme (already behind time) seems out of accord with the overall environment.
I'm not against a pavilion, but it has to fit in terms of size and appearance, as well as purpose. I rather fear the role perceived is intended to bring in income for a building of that size, which I feel is the wrong way round.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post May 1 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2011, 10:24 AM) *
This is the point. Most people don't really care.

Really? 1000 turned out in 3 days just to see the last monstrosity. 730 are following Save Victoria Park. But it's not just numbers....from the people I've talked to there's huge energy and enthusiasm for stopping these unconnected vanity projects.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 1 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bofem @ May 1 2011, 07:02 AM) *
Really? 1000 turned out in 3 days just to see the last monstrosity. 730 are following Save Victoria Park. But it's not just numbers....from the people I've talked to there's huge energy and enthusiasm for stopping these unconnected vanity projects.

Good phrase

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 1 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

There will be a petition at Victoria Park for all to sign tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bofem @ May 1 2011, 07:02 AM) *

I was talking generally rather than this particular project. people won't appreciate the loss of public open space until it is gone.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 3 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I think that there were a lot of people in the park yesterday who were somewhat surprised at the level of development and the fact that this work had been done through the Easter holidays and during the busiest free event of the year!!!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 3 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 3 2011, 09:07 AM) *
I think that there were a lot of people in the park yesterday who were somewhat surprised at the level of development and the fact that this work had been done through the Easter holidays and during the busiest free event of the year!!!

How many signatures did you get for the petition? The park was pretty packed. I was also there yesterday, but didn't see anyone with a petition, otherwise I would have signed.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 3 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (massifheed @ May 3 2011, 09:25 AM) *
How many signatures did you get for the petition? The park was pretty packed. I was also there yesterday, but didn't see anyone with a petition, otherwise I would have signed.

Me too. I certainly had some Labour waste paper thrust into my hand. Recycled that very quickly.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 3 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ May 3 2011, 09:25 AM) *

What was the wording of the petition? In addition to the number of signatures, handy to know what they signed up to...

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 3 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 3 2011, 09:07 AM) *

Richard, I'm as keen as the next man to berate the Town Council for their manifest failings, but criticising the timing of the construction of the skate park and kiddie's playground is silly. There doesn't appear to have been any opportunity to get the work underway any sooner, and actually they appeared to get it going pretty swiftly after their funding was approved. Waiting until next winter to build it would have minimised the disruption to users, but the winter brings its own challenges for civil engineering and building it now gets it all in place for the summer.

If there is a criticism (and let's face it, this is the Town Council we're talking about) it's that they haven't done enough to engage their users - people are offended to see the disruption in their park because they haven't been sufficiently involved in the decision. It's a significant mistake because it's the root cause of social alienation that manifests itself in antisocial behaviour and vandalism.

The skate park and kiddie's playground aren't obviously connected to the pavillion - the former are legitimate park features installed by NTC, and the latter a WBC vanity project, but it's the same arrogance and attitude to involvement that blight both.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 3 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 3 2011, 11:10 AM) *
What was the wording of the petition? In addition to the number of signatures, handy to know what they signed up to...

There's no point in asking massifheed; he didn't see a petition!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 3 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 3 2011, 12:34 PM) *
There's no point in asking massifheed; he didn't see a petition!

I can only apologise. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:51 PM