IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please let us know when child murderer Burgess's photo is removed from home page, I won't be returning until it is
Sherlock
post Jul 23 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

I think we all know what this appalling, evil, sick individual looks like now. I appreciate you have to cover this story, and we need to be reminded about the existence of scum like this, but I have had enough of seeing his dead eyes staring at me from the Newbury Today home page. Perhaps someone could post here when he's been removed and I'll start visiting the site again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Bit dramatic.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 23 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jul 23 2012, 04:16 PM) *
I think we all know what this appalling, evil, sick individual looks like now. I appreciate you have to cover this story, and we need to be reminded about the existence of scum like this, but I have had enough of seeing his dead eyes staring at me from the Newbury Today home page. Perhaps someone could post here when he's been removed and I'll start visiting the site again.

I agree wholeheartedly.
I am sick of seeing his cold, evil face staring out at me. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 23 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Bit dramatic.

That makes two of us then.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jul 23 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 23 2012, 04:31 PM) *
That makes two of us then.

It does seem as if they have not bothered to update the home page for an age.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jul 23 2012, 04:16 PM) *

The trouble is that papers like the NWNs write for everybody and not just a few. So even though such pictures offend you and one or two others, it doesn't upset the majority. I have no problem with it; in fact I am sure that his picture and the story that followed helped to sell more papers. Crime is always a top story/ seller.

I read somewhere that as soon as Stories, such as the Moors murders, evens the current one in America, appears it helps to shift papers in their millions. Nothing sells better than a good murder (if there is such a thing as a good murder?).

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jul 23 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

He doesn't have 'dead eyes' or an 'evil face'

You could photograph most people who aren't smiling and they'd look like that.

If he'd just been voted 'Nice Bloke Of The Year' and that caption appeared by his photo you wouldn't say he had an evil face or dead eyes.

Stop being a drama queen. It's Newbury's biggest story of the week so why wouldn't they have a photo of him?

He is an ugly bugger mind you.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Jul 23 2012, 06:53 PM) *
He doesn't have 'dead eyes' or an 'evil face'

You could photograph most people who aren't smiling and they'd look like that.

If he'd just been voted 'Nice Bloke Of The Year' and that caption appeared by his photo you wouldn't say he had an evil face or dead eyes.

Stop being a drama queen. It's Newbury's biggest story of the week so why wouldn't they have a photo of him?

He is an ugly bugger mind you.

You make a good point; he has "evil" eyes because he has been accused and found guilty of murder. If he was a vicar who bounces children on his knee people will be saying "What a godly and angelic face he has. I wish he was my uncle". In other words we customise a face to their chosen profession. How many times have you heard somebody say what a lovely person such-and-such a person is, until he was caught singing "A finger of fudge is just enough to give our children a treat"?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jul 24 2012, 06:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

'Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.'

Talking of drama, what kind of fix do so many people get from watching and reading crime fiction, often about murder and even serial killers? Presumably they enjoy it. Do the same people people secretly enjoy hearing about appalling events like those in Aurora? Is that why they draw so much coverage?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 24 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I would say if you have gotten to the point in life where a pertanant issue is what picture is displayed on a local newspapers website, you have lived very sheltered life indeed.

It's just a picture of a face..

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 24 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 24 2012, 09:06 AM) *
I would say if you have gotten to the point in life where a pertanant issue is what picture is displayed on a local newspapers website, you have lived very sheltered life indeed. It's just a picture of a face..

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Jul 24 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Jul 23 2012, 06:53 PM) *
He doesn't have 'dead eyes'

I think I read somewhere that he has a glass eye, so one of them at least is not alive.

blink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 24 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jul 24 2012, 09:06 AM) *
I would say if you have gotten to the point in life where a pertanant issue is what picture is displayed on a local newspapers website, you have lived very sheltered life indeed.

It's just a picture of a face..

No, it's a picture of a child murderer who's image I do not want to see staring back at me from my computer every time I log on for the local news.
Anyway he's gone now, hopefully for good.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 24 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Biker1, I am sure you see more rapists, murders and wife-beaters on your way to the shops. I think you are being dramatic about the whole thing. I agree they seemed to hang around his story for a long time but I guess it's the only "major" piece of news for a long time.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 24 2012, 09:33 AM) *

tongue.gif

Sorry, should have known better.

huh.gif

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jul 24 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 24 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Anyway he's gone now, hopefully for good.

Not necessarily. He's 64 now and has been sentenced to 27 years without parole so he'll be out on the streets again in 2039 if he lives past his 91st birthday (assuming he doesn't appeal and win). With access to excellent medical care in prison and a low risk of death by accident, unless his fellow inmates arrange for him to have one, some of us will be around to see him back in our community.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 25 2012, 05:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jul 24 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Not necessarily. He's 64 now and has been sentenced to 27 years without parole so he'll be out on the streets again in 2039 if he lives past his 91st birthday (assuming he doesn't appeal and win). With access to excellent medical care in prison and a low risk of death by accident, unless his fellow inmates arrange for him to have one, some of us will be around to see him back in our community.

sad.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jul 25 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

I seem to remember he absconded from Leyhill Prison in Bristol in the 90's, & it was 18 months before he was found. So he was in some ones community for a while then !! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Jul 25 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Not necessarily. He's 64 now and has been sentenced to 27 years without parole so he'll be out on the streets again in 2039 if he lives past his 91st birthday (assuming he doesn't appeal and win).

And assuming he applied for parole - and it was granted. Neither of which is a certainty.

Had he in fact been granted parole from his original life sentence? I'm not clear where he was when he was arrested - was he still in prison or out on licence?

+Quote Post
Downlander
post Jul 26 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

So - I take it that nobody here knows.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 26 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:37 PM