Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flatpack Democracy
Simon Kirby
post May 23 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

A nice piece in the Grauniad about the Independents for Frome movement which has just won a clean-sweep of all 17 seats on Frome Town Council.

Independents for Frome (ifF) is an umbrella group of free-thinking independents who believe that party politics has no place at the parish level. Their credo is that disagreement is inevitable and healthy and that local politics should be honest, open and transparent with decisions made in public for the public benefit. IfF had the majority of seats on the town council before the elections with Lib Dems and Conservatives holding the others, but the community were so taken with the improvements that the reinvigorated Frome Town Council had made that this time round they voted unanimously for ifF candidates.

The Grauniad article says more about the movement and the "Flatpack Democracy" manual that goes with it than I could so have read if you're interested. Flatpack Democracy is a brave ambitions vision that uses the Localism act to give parish-level local government a central role in developing the local community, and it makes it work by bringing an inclusive cooperative approach to local government which isn't always there in the traditional parish and town councils.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post May 24 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Frome is a very different town to Newbury.

I notice no one stood for the Green Party in the Town Council elections, who are traditionally strong in the town.

Perhaps some sort of deal was struck before hand?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 24 2015, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 24 2015, 05:39 PM) *
Frome is a very different town to Newbury.

I notice no one stood for the Green Party in the Town Council elections, who are traditionally strong in the town.

Perhaps some sort of deal was struck before hand?

Different, yes, but I wouldn't say it was so very different, and not so much that the principles of Flatpack Democracy couldn't also take hold here. It certainly helps that there is a model to emulate.

I'm not suggesting that we turn Newbury into Frome, but what I would like to see is Newbury finding its own vibrant distinctiveness in the same way that Frome has.

See here for example.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 24 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I think you have a point. After all, the whole concept of localism is difference. So we won't replicate Frome, or Reading, or Swindon etc. but we want to be Newbury. I think that would strike a chord. There is certainly an underlying deep seated concern round here about the way the Town is developing and it isn't simply just passive resistance to change. Is it too late, or is it possible? No reason not to try at least.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post May 24 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 24 2015, 06:16 PM) *
Different, yes, but I wouldn't say it was so very different, and not so much that the principles of Flatpack Democracy couldn't also take hold here. It certainly helps that there is a model to emulate.

I'm not suggesting that we turn Newbury into Frome, but what I would like to see is Newbury finding its own vibrant distinctiveness in the same way that Frome has.
What do you think are the main things that are vibrant and and distinctive about Newbury?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 24 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Frome is not that different from Newbury, there is no reason why a similar movement should not work here.

However, I remain confused about the selection process - the article says an independent panel selects the candidates - independent of whom? Upon what basis? A selection process implies a lack of independence.

That said the name 'Independents for Newbury' strikes me as a far better one than 'Apoliticial Party' - it must be better to have a name that doesn't need to be explained and is not so open to ridicule.

What I do like is the idea of prospective candidates saying what they want to do - something that is lacking from local politics.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 24 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 24 2015, 07:10 PM) *
What do you think are the main things that are vibrant and and distinctive about Newbury?

It's not so much about what makes Newbury vibrant and distinctive now - and in truth it doesn't currently score strongly on either suit, but that's not to say that Newbury couldn't rediscover its distinctiveness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 24 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 24 2015, 07:10 PM) *
Frome is not that different from Newbury, there is no reason why a similar movement should not work here.

However, I remain confused about the selection process - the article says an independent panel selects the candidates - independent of whom? Upon what basis? A selection process implies a lack of independence.

That said the name 'Independents for Newbury' strikes me as a far better one than 'Apoliticial Party' - it must be better to have a name that doesn't need to be explained and is not so open to ridicule.

What I do like is the idea of prospective candidates saying what they want to do - something that is lacking from local politics.

IfF formed a selection committee of activists who weren't themselves standing, and thus prospective candidates had no direct hand in their own selection - that's what was meant by "independent".

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 24 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 24 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Some good points there. Particularly over choice of candidate. I'd argue that real local democracy wouldn't be badly served even if two 'independents' stood and let the local,people decide. In practical terms, I've seen ward meetings as useful vehicles to do just that - even round here! Speaking with a little experience, the Apoliticals (whatever the name might mean) operated a bit like an independent grocers trade association - providing some collective support, campaigning advice and guidance.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 24 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

In my view, there aren't at the moment. Newbury is fast becoming just another dormitory town common in the outer suburbs. However it does have great potential - which ironically is well expressed in the existing Town Council's very good design statement;

The town is not Victorian, but Georgian. In other words we should be seeing lots of stucco, wood etc. rather than brick and cast iron.

We are a cross roads, essentially still a town for those who pass through. People want to come and go. A day at the races, a special event, The Spring Festival etc.

A significant water transport node which should be made much more of; people who like and use boats.

And so on, have a look, it's in the Library.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 24 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 24 2015, 07:44 PM) *
Some good points there. Particularly over choice of candidate. I'd argue that real local democracy wouldn't be badly served even if two 'independents' stood and let the local,people decide. In practical terms, I've seen ward meetings as useful vehicles to do just that - even round here! Speaking with a little experience, the Apoliticals (whatever the name might mean) operated a bit like an independent grocers trade association - providing some collective support, campaigning advice and guidance.

Being an independent is no guarantee that the candidate will be an open honest accountable servant of the electorate, nor is it any guarantee that they'll be free-thinking or even right-minded. I see it as an essential element of any collective of independents founded on those principles that candidates be selected by their peers who have got to know them and who have confidence in their values - but values, not politics. You deliberately want to create a movement with a broad spectrum of opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 24 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I feel sure that you are asking this question because you want to produce an answer that you can take issue with.

I suspect you believe that the town is vibrant and distinctive so I turn the question on you.

What do you think are the main things that are vibrant and distinctive about Newbury?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 24 2015, 08:20 PM) *
What do you think are the main things that are vibrant and distinctive about Newbury?

A really good question., and clearly a difficult one, hence the long silence!

I had an answer a few days back, from an old colleague of mine who lives on the South Coast. Apparently, Newbury is an OK place for 'clubbing' on a Saturday night! Then thinking about it, I suppose that's really all there is to it. Come here to the races or the pubs on a Saturday night, get bladdered and go home! Of course, you could always join the oap coach trips which have a wee and tea stop on their way through.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 31 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Vibrant is subjective, however, I understand New York is vibrant but I wouldn't want to live there.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 31 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 31 2015, 11:00 AM) *
Vibrant is subjective, however, I understand New York is vibrant but I wouldn't want to live there.

My **** is vibrant this morning (curry)

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

OK gents, I get the message! We don't want vibrant; clearly a good one last night...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 31 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Islington has become vibrant. Today all roads were closed for a bunch of overpaid furriners...
who can kick a bladder about.
Nurse won't let me out after dark.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 31 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Things to do in Frome...............
It's all
happening here
Reasonably distinctive I suppose, but nor especially vibrant!
Most of it not actually in Frome!
It's got a nice original Brunel Style timbered railway station train shed though. (But not many trains!!) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 31 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 31 2015, 06:26 PM) *
Things to do in Frome...............
It's all
happening here
Reasonably distinctive I suppose, but nor especially vibrant!
Most of it not actually in Frome!
It's got a nice original Brunel Style timbered railway station train shed though. (But not many trains!!) tongue.gif

But have they got a Council that gives land away for free to developers?
Do their Council behave the same as ours, total disregard for the electorate, and create as many gaffs and costs precept payers a rather large wedge of cash on what is, euphemistically, called an oversight.
Do they have a Council that has no transparency, claims there is a legal case pending, yet no trace of one in any of the Court Lists, so unable to reveal any details of an ongoing gaff that is going to run and run it would seem and cost precept payers more and more cash?
Yet as baffling as the FIFA debacle some of those Councillors responsible still get re-elected. blink.gif

Perhaps that is the vibrant that User is looking for? Certainly entertaining apart from the cost to precept payers of course! angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 1 2015, 08:26 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 31 2015, 08:36 PM) *
But have they got a Council that gives land away for free to developers?
Do their Council behave the same as ours, total disregard for the electorate, and create as many gaffs and costs precept payers a rather large wedge of cash on what is, euphemistically, called an oversight.
Do they have a Council that has no transparency, claims there is a legal case pending, yet no trace of one in any of the Court Lists, so unable to reveal any details of an ongoing gaff that is going to run and run it would seem and cost precept payers more and more cash?

Probably!! wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:48 AM