dannyboy
post Apr 12 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 12 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Now I like Nectar points but I also like saving money - fight! laugh.gif

To get the best deal you need to visit all the town's supermarkets.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_jaycakes_*
post Apr 12 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 12 2012, 05:20 PM) *
To get the best deal you need to visit all the town's supermarkets.

By which time the £3.07 you would have saved on your weekly shop would have been negated by the extra cost in fuel.

Not to mention the old saying "time is money" - is £3 saving worth two hours of your weekend time? Because it's not of mine.

tongue.gif

fight

+Quote Post
gel
post Apr 12 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 6 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Super-market
Super-store

blink.gif

B&Q have recently decided that smaller is beautiful; that's why B&Q sales are dropping,
and sister company Screwfix are expanding their network like wildfire.
(Much smaller footprint).

B&Q are looking to sublet space in some of their large stores like the one at Milton
Keynes wink.gif

Now Tesco too

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Apr 13 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Nectar points, big deal. Have you actually worked out what a Nectar point is really worth. 1p in the Pound. Hardly worth getting the card out of the wallet.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Apr 13 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Apr 13 2012, 10:59 PM) *
Nectar points, big deal. Have you actually worked out what a Nectar point is really worth.

Almost worthless to a customer, but invaluable to a supermarkets database of customers, their addresses, and spending habits. Nectar points were never about the customer. They were, and are, a way of turning you, the customer, into just another product which can be bought and sold as and when.

+Quote Post
Guest_jaycakes_*
post Apr 14 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #46

Guests

Nectar points, big deal. Have you actually worked out what a Nectar point is really worth. 1p in the Pound. Hardly worth getting the card out of the wallet.

I use mine for fuel. That soon adds up. Especially when BP often run double or triple points. You get 1 point per litre and I normally get about 52 or 53 litres every time I fill up... so if that's triple points, in 2 and a half fill ups I have £2.50 off. Not much but I have about £10 now which I can use as a sort of emergency.
Although I'm actually using it to pay my friend to give me a lift back from Kent in a week smile.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 14 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

I must have spent a bit then as according to my last Sainsbury's receipt my Nectar points were worth £65.25

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 14 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 14 2012, 12:51 PM) *
I must have spent a bit then as according to my last Sainsbury's receipt my Nectar points were worth £65.25

Just over six and a half grand, I'd say! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
hgv1driver
post Apr 22 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 8,294

I agree dannyboy

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 23 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Every little helps.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Apr 23 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

I see that in recent blind-tasting research, Aldi and Lidl mayonnaise beat Hellmanns, Heinz and Waitrose.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 23 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (hgv1driver @ Apr 22 2012, 08:52 PM) *

I agree dannyboy

I make it 1/2p each?

500 points = £2.50.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Apr 23 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 23 2012, 09:27 AM) *
I make it 1/2p each?

500 points = £2.50.

Yup, so when you see the TV ad for confused.com bragging about giving you 1000 Nectar point for taking out insurance with them, and you work out that it's only a fiver's worth, it doesn't seem like such a great deal after all.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 23 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Apr 23 2012, 09:14 AM) *
I see that in recent blind-tasting research, Aldi and Lidl mayonnaise beat Hellmanns, Heinz and Waitrose.

Yes, but only on taste. In my opinion the only thing worth worrying about, but there are other things to consider.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Apr 23 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

If you are talking about supporting British farmers, then I agree.

Lidl buys "European centrally" and I would not buy Italian or Portugese apples from them as I think our home grown product is not only better, but also better for the environment as it does not need to be transported so far.

As far as "table sauces" go, these are made all over the EU - for example HP Sauce is now manufactured in the Netherlands.

+Quote Post
Guest_jaycakes_*
post Apr 24 2012, 01:24 AM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Apr 23 2012, 09:17 PM) *
Lidl buys "European centrally" and I would not buy Italian or Portugese apples from them as I think our home grown product is not only better, but also better for the environment as it does not need to be transported so far.

How pretentious. You probably drive to the shop which I would imagine uses more fuel per kg of food than it did for the Lorry to drive it here.

Like on that TV advert for the butter, frankly it's the British farmers career choice, I buy what is either cheapest/best quality (or more often, the best compromise)

I couldn't give a rats rear end where my fruit comes from as long as it wasn't out of a rats rear end, nah'mean?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Apr 24 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Apr 23 2012, 09:17 PM) *
If you are talking about supporting British farmers, then I agree.

As far as "table sauces" go, these are made all over the EU - for example HP Sauce is now manufactured in the Netherlands.

I do try and buy British where possible, but afraid the wallet rules me nowadays.

I went to the Farmers Market when it first opened. Thought, they are cutting out the middle man so prices should be similar to supermarkets. Everything was so dear I couldn't afford it. I do try and support local growers, buying all veg and eggs from the market. Cheaper, local usually and I prefer the taste.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Apr 24 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jaycakes @ Apr 24 2012, 02:24 AM) *
How pretentious. You probably drive to the shop which I would imagine uses more fuel per kg of food than it did for the Lorry to drive it here.

I am pretentious because I would rather buy a home-grown, better tasting product? I see.

You are also incorrect in your assumption - I can walk or push-bike it to Lidl. If I am in the car (getting rare these days) then I may call in if passing on my way home.

Cheers

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 24 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Don't any of you read the flyer Lidl send through the door? Lidl came out top in the recent 'Red Tractor' survey.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Apr 24 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 24 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Don't any of you read the flyer Lidl send through the door? Lidl came out top in the recent 'Red Tractor' survey.

There is a long blurb on the company's website about the "Red Tractor" and it refers to meat.
As the company grows in the UK, it will undoubtedly source more fruit from the local market here, but at the moment many contracts are still placed on the continent.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:39 AM