Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police 'routine stop & check'
Wicca
post Aug 13 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 62

Reminds me of the time my partner and I were pulled over, riding a moped, with L's displayed but taped over(his brother had yet to pass his test).

We had apparently broken 4 laws, unfortunately the copper mistook the moped for a motorbike.

After a few annoyed weeks, the chief inspector personally came and apologised to us for doing nothing wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gumbo
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 13 2009, 01:27 PM) *
So criminals don't use their families as cover?

It's well known that for burglaries, children are used to enter very small windows, even cat flaps. If caught and under 10, they cannot be prosecuted.

I again point out that the only way to check something out is to stop the car and speak to the occupants.

What and ask if they are just off somewhere to push their 8 year old daughter through somebodys cat flap. "Yes officer, we are just going to that big house down the road to rob it!"

+Quote Post
Jacklets
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

They must have had some reason for checking you out, and may not have had the time to do all the checks via radio - maybe they were looking for someone else with that type of car. But surely they wouldn't have been doing their job if they'd simply ignored you because you looked nice.

Sometimes they have to make swift judgements, and may not always get it right, but I'm sure you'd be grateful for the help of those "idiots" if you or any of your family was ever the victim of a crime. You'd probably also then be quite happy for them to stop and check other people if they had the slightest feeling they may have been involved.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 13 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

It seems you are adamant you didn't deserve to be stopped and no amount of discussion or point of view will change your mind.

If you feel so hard done by perhaps you should go to Newbury Police Station and make a formal complaint instead of complaining about it here.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Yep I got it now, the police follow you do all the checks, cars insured and owned by someone so let it go...... I think that's what your saying. Now im sure computers arent so intelligent yet that they can tell if the driver is drunk!!

Or if they driver is actually the owner and insured driver, or that it's been stolen and the owner doenst realise yet!
Or even that it is legitimatly owned and the people inside are off to do your house over.......

As for turning around that's a matter of your own opinion to what is a dangerous location to do it in. But in your original post you said the police car went past then it was behind you so how do you know where it turned around? Or are you just making an assumption???

I thought the police had more up to date computers, ones that could check if a car is insured etc so they could have covered most things with a vehicle check. My husband wasnt driving erratically and they didnt once suggest they stopped him thinking he was drunk or had been drinking, neither did they do or suggest a breath test.

I know the stretch of road, the ONLY place to turn the car round was in a driveway, with a closed gate ( i know the owners, they have had their gate broken as the space to turn is small !!!!!!) so it wasnt a safe place to turn, there has been accidents there from other people doing it. A policewoman herself said it wasnt a safe place to turn on that road at the time of the accident !!! Before you say, i was walking my dogs past it, i knew the person who had hit the driver turning in the road.

And is it not YOU making assumptions about me ?? Have i said that i HAVENT taken the matter up with The police after the incident ??? FYI ..... i have telephoned and followed up with an email outlining the events in detail.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 13 2009, 01:38 PM) *
It seems you are adamant you didn't deserve to be stopped and no amount of discussion or point of view will change your mind.

If you feel so hard done by perhaps you should go to Newbury Police Station and make a formal complaint instead of complaining about it here.

See my other post. No we didnt deserve to be stopped .... simple.

I am a member on here, have been for ages and if i decide to post this event on Newbury Rants, i am perfectly ok to do. If you feel your discussion is getting no-where, then again, simple .... stop posting about my thread. x

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jacklets @ Aug 13 2009, 01:37 PM) *
They must have had some reason for checking you out, and may not have had the time to do all the checks via radio - maybe they were looking for someone else with that type of car. But surely they wouldn't have been doing their job if they'd simply ignored you because you looked nice.

Sometimes they have to make swift judgements, and may not always get it right, but I'm sure you'd be grateful for the help of those "idiots" if you or any of your family was ever the victim of a crime. You'd probably also then be quite happy for them to stop and check other people if they had the slightest feeling they may have been involved.

I never suggested i look 'nice'. We are just a normal law abiding family who are annoyed at their evening being disrupted and their daughter being upset when others are out actually comitting crimes. And can quite clearly be SEEN to be doing so, ie speeding.

Those idiots have never helped me in the past so i have no reason to assume they would in the future OR that i would want them to.

Here's something funny .......... my 15 yr old son wants to be 'one of them' make of that what you will.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 13 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jacklets @ Aug 13 2009, 01:37 PM) *

But they would have been doing a better job if they had simply been courteous and said something like "I am sorry to trouble you Sir/Madam but we have had reports of a stolen car/suspicious vehcile etc etc or whatever reason it was" and not play Mr Sarky Cop.

I think the lesson from all of this that surely all on here can agree on and probably what Rose8 really had an issue with is that the officers concerned were not very customer focused smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Aug 13 2009, 01:37 PM) *
What and ask if they are just off somewhere to push their 8 year old daughter through somebodys cat flap. "Yes officer, we are just going to that big house down the road to rob it!"

Just imagining trying to push my daughter through a catflap ....... next door do have a bigger tv than ours though ...... if i just shove her over the fence, make sure i dont put a label saying 'child burgler' on her back, i will be safe, esp as she is under 10 rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Aug 13 2009, 01:51 PM) *
But they would have been doing a better job if they had simply been courteous and said something like "I am sorry to trouble you Sir/Madam but we have had reports of a stolen car/suspicious vehcile etc etc or whatever reason it was" and not play Mr Sarky Cop.

I think the lesson from all of this that surely all on here can agree on and probably what Rose8 really had an issue with is that the officers concerned were not very customer focused smile.gif

In a nutshell gumbo, thankyou.

And the fact that my daughhter was scared and they didnt once even acknowledge her or try to reassure her, their attitude stank.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Aug 13 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rose8 @ Aug 13 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Those idiots have never helped me in the past so i have no reason to assume they would in the future OR that i would want them to.

Here's something funny .......... my 15 yr old son wants to be 'one of them' make of that what you will.

Whilst I agree with your original issue I don't really agree with your referring to the police as 'idiots' or 'them'. The police do a thankless task and should have our respect. I don't think they should have attitude when pulling people over (I have experienced this first hand) and I do think they should be courteuous but then I am a simple kind of fella who believes in manners.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I take great offence at being refered to as an Idiot Rose8.

Make what you will of the officer that stopped you but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 01:58 PM) *
I take great offence at being refered to as an Idiot Rose8.

Make what you will of the officer that stopped you but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

What ARE you talking about ossy1 ???

When did i call YOU an idiot?

QUOTE my post here stating where i called YOU and idiot.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Was just quoting Jumbo with ref to idiots. But no i shouldnt call them that Gumbo i know. I am normally very happy to help anyone i can, including police and i am NORMALLY :-), very polite. But i suppose we all have our 'point' when something annoys us and i suppose its bugging me that almost everyone seems to be on the attack towards me when i was innocent in the first place, but anyway.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

All that ranting as stopped you from thinking!!

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Aug 13 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Rose8 @ Aug 13 2009, 01:49 PM) *
I never suggested i look 'nice'. We are just a normal law abiding family who are annoyed at their evening being disrupted and their daughter being upset when others are out actually comitting crimes. And can quite clearly be SEEN to be doing so, ie speeding.

I'm delighted that you are so sure of your own future that you know you will never be a victim of a crime and therefore need the help of "idiots".

I'm sure they have a fair few idiots to deal with themselves, and maybe from time to time their customer service standards slip a tad, not the easiest of jobs, one I wouldn't want - but one you should admire your son for wanting.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 13 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

While I can see that being stopped while doing nothing wrong can be frustrating, if it were to happen to me, I'd take comfort that the Police are at least doing something. Having said that, I do find traffic bill (if that is what they were) tend to be more intimidating than the rest. Mind you I can't remember the last time I have spoken to a discourteous police officer (I've got to be careful, I have friends that are beak! tongue.gif ) .

I would suggest, however, that they might be better employed driving around the retail park area than 'quiet' country lanes.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 13 2009, 02:06 PM) *
All that ranting as stopped you from thinking!!

Oh no no no ossy1 - quote when i called YOU an idiot !! I didnt you see thats the problem eh.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 13 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 13 2009, 02:09 PM) *
While I can see that being stopped while doing nothing wrong can be frustrating, if it were to happen to me, I'd take comfort that the Police are at least doing something. Having said that, I do find traffic bill (if that is what they were) tend to be more intimidating than the rest. Mind you I can't remember the last time I have spoken to a discourteous police officer (I've got to be careful, I have friends that are beak! tongue.gif ) .

I would suggest, however, that they might be better employed driving around the retail park area than 'quiet' country lanes.

Statistically quiet country lanes are where most drink drivers are caught.

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Aug 13 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 13 2009, 02:09 PM) *

Yes the retail park, or that roundabout by tesco where you almost get 'taken out' by ummmmm 'boy racers' who decide they dont actually have to stop at the roundabout .... or perhaps stay by the new traffic lights and get a few of the 'idiots' who go through on red or of course go to tesco or McDonalds car park and do a 'routine stop and check fella' on the 'idiots' wheel spinning around, by INSURED cars who are parked there for the purpose intended - SHOPPING or EATING.

But instead drive round country roads, where its quieter. I see their logic.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:00 AM