Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury's (Down)Market, Newbury Market
DrPepper
post Mar 21 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 776

"With respect, comments about a 'whole lot of crap' are pretty offensive to the stall-holders who work hard to keep the market going. And offensive to the general public who regularly visit the market. One or two look decidedly odd to me, but on the whole, are mostly sane."

I think you will find that the stall holders are not there as a favour to the public, but to make money. When they don't make money they will move elsewhere. And on top of that they get to trade for a very low ground rent on one day a week whereas the retailers have to pay rent and rates every day of the week and can't cherry pick where they trade depending on the current trends. Don't feel sorry for these leeches!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 21 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Mar 21 2010, 05:59 PM) *
"With respect, comments about a 'whole lot of crap' are pretty offensive to the stall-holders who work hard to keep the market going. And offensive to the general public who regularly visit the market. One or two look decidedly odd to me, but on the whole, are mostly sane."

I think you will find that the stall holders are not there as a favour to the public, but to make money. When they don't make money they will move elsewhere. And on top of that they get to trade for a very low ground rent on one day a week whereas the retailers have to pay rent and rates every day of the week and can't cherry pick where they trade depending on the current trends. Don't feel sorry for these leeches!
Here's a different point of view above. Whilst some think Newbury should be a sleepy market town it seems others think that market traders are nothing more than than leeches.

The truth is all traders aren't there as a favour to the public, they're there to make money out of the people of Newbury and they all have the option to move if they wish so to single out a certain set of them as parasites seems a bit strange.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 21 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 21 2010, 06:09 PM) *
Here's a different point of view above. Whilst some think Newbury should be a sleepy market town it seems others think that market traders are nothing more than than leeches.

I don't know anyone who thinks Newbury 'should be a sleepy market town''

The truth is all traders aren't there as a favour to the public, they're there to make money out of the people of Newbury and they all have the option to move if they wish so to single out a certain set of them as parasites seems a bit strange.

Bloody heck...I agree!

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Mar 21 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

A very curious view on retail. The truth is that without the public buying from them they won't stay in business. So in that respect your logic is backwards. It seems that rather than the public moving, retail will do so if they aren't making money. Far from being "parasites" traders and retailers have to provide a service that the public want.

It seems to me that the councils are more appropriate to your views. They are "parasites" that don't have the value of competition to make them more aligned to the publics needs.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 21 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Iommi @ Mar 21 2010, 08:32 PM) *

I know loads!

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 21 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ Mar 21 2010, 08:53 PM) *
A very curious view on retail. The truth is that without the public buying from them they won't stay in business. So in that respect your logic is backwards. It seems that rather than the public moving, retail will do so if they aren't making money. Far from being "parasites" traders and retailers have to provide a service that the public want.

It seems to me that the councils are more appropriate to your views. They are "parasites" that don't have the value of competition to make them more aligned to the publics needs.
You need to read what I wrote again.

I didn't call traders parasites I said it was strange to single one group of traders (market stall holders) as parasites seeing as generally they all operate under the same market (pun intended) forces.

You however have called councils parasites which seems a little strange, given they're there to protect the public from unscrupulous traders. Councils and governments DO have the "value of competition" as we'll find out in the run up to 6th May when there will be many people competing to represent Newbury in Parliament.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 22 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 21 2010, 09:12 PM) *
I know loads!

I know some that don't like Newbury growing into a significant retail centre rather like Basingstoke or Reading, but that doesn't mean they think Newbury should be a sleepy (I think this is something user23 invented) Market Town. Indeed, if we were to believe the spin from the Newbury and West Berkshire Councils, Newbury is, and always was, a bustling Market Town! So someone must be telling porkies!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Mar 22 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Iommi @ Mar 21 2010, 08:32 PM) *

Have you read this site?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 22 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Mar 22 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Have you read this site?

More than most, and this line (as detailed in my previous post) is still not something I recognise, or believe to be true.

+Quote Post
misc
post Mar 22 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

I had a proper look at the market on Saturday and can now agree that the cheese seller has some good products. Aside from that, market offered nothing to entice me.

Whoever said that the market's fuit and veg lasts longer than that sold by the supermarket, is clearly shopping at the wrong supermarket.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 22 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Veg from Asda seems to last forever - I don't think I've ever thrown anything away from there!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 22 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

I love the meat from the Market as well, and it is significantly cheaper than the supermarkets.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Mar 22 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (misc @ Mar 22 2010, 01:28 PM) *
I had a proper look at the market on Saturday and can now agree that the cheese seller has some good products. Aside from that, market offered nothing to entice me.

Whoever said that the market's fuit and veg lasts longer than that sold by the supermarket, is clearly shopping at the wrong supermarket.

I said it and I shop at them all!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Mar 22 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #34

Guests

Is the stall selling bootleg CDs and tapes of gigs still there on Saturdays? wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 22 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 22 2010, 04:43 PM) *
Veg from Asda seems to last forever - I don't think I've ever thrown anything away from there!

Well, I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing the Newbury area, and the nearest Asda as far as I know is in Reading.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 22 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 22 2010, 06:59 PM) *
Well, I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing the Newbury area, and the nearest Asda as far as I know is in Reading.

We go to the one in Andover, but I don't know if that's any closer.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 22 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 22 2010, 04:43 PM) *
That's because they whack the dial up to MAX when they irradiate their fruit and veg'..... Food stays 'fresher' for longer, but tastes of..... well, nothing in particular.... as the irradiation process nukes all the taste out .... (IMO wink.gif )

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:52 AM