Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allofficements, an allotment-office
Simon Kirby
post Jul 9 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but while we're discussing the pollution that commuters cause I thought I'd dust of an bit of an idea I had some while back:

I could do a lot of my current work from home but actually I'd not be very keen in it because I do rather like the separation of work/home and a commute helps that - though I have known people to take a walk round their estate and come back home to work in their garden office to achieve the same ends.

So rather than spending money on commuter travel plans a novel idea that WBC could trial is allofficements - sites of little allotments with nice home-office sheds for people like me to work in - like allotments, allofficement sites would be in the middle of where people live, they'd be green and pleasant spaces for people to work, they could do some light pottering at lunch time for relaxation, and they could walk from home, so keeping that important work/life balance by preserving the commute, but not using the car. How about it WBC - definitely something I'd be happy to work with you on creating. It's got to be worth a go with a small trial site.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 10 2014, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

A very good idea. If you think about it a little further, WBC might not even need to spend a cent to achieve this; all they'd need do is facilitate. For instance, we have a good many, for some rather too many charity shops in the town. What's the betting a few have some spare space that could be used, equally what's the betting there is some 'community' resource who'd be more than happy to help do the set up etc. Just a matter of kicking something off and leading it forward.....there would be other sites, other suggestions I'm sure. What is there to loose?

Perhaps call a NEWT with a purpose?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 10 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

In terms of charity shops the 'what is there to lose' question is easy to answer - their tax breaks.

Not that they really meet Simon's idea of an office/allotment mix.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 10 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 10 2014, 11:38 AM) *
In terms of charity shops the 'what is there to lose' question is easy to answer - their tax breaks.

Not that they really meet Simon's idea of an office/allotment mix.

Well done Blackdog! ...and David Cameron winders why the big Society never took off.

(Where there's a will....)

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 10 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 9 2014, 10:45 PM) *
I could do a lot of my current work from home but actually I'd not be very keen in it because I do rather like the separation of work/home and a commute helps that - though I have known people to take a walk round their estate and come back home to work in their garden office to achieve the same ends.

The cheapest solution is for people to come to terms with working from home. Perhaps Allofficements could be sheds at the bottom of everyone's garden, and everyone could share each others. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 10 2014, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Silly me.
When I read though I have known people to take a walk round their estate and come back home to work in their garden office to achieve the same ends.
I assumed you meant Englefield rather than ...
ce.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 10 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 10 2014, 12:37 PM) *
The cheapest solution is for people to come to terms with working from home. Perhaps Allofficements could be sheds at the bottom of everyone's garden, and everyone could share each others. tongue.gif

Working from home is a good solution to the commute, but it has work/life separation issues. It can be difficult for other family members to see the homeworker as "at work" if they're at home, and the distractions of home can interfere with the worker's work. Working from a shed can create some useful separation, but it's still largely "at home". Being able to walk a short trip to an alloffice creates some excellent separation, is a green commute, and provides a great working environment too with opportunities for networking and chillaxing too.

I've not thought in any detail about the economics of it and top of my head I'd guess that the cost of an alloffice would need to be in the £500/year bracket, though that would include the shed - which obviously would need to be something a bit more office-like than a pine job from B&Q.

It's also not obvious that there would be enough people willing and able to work from an alloffice to make a significant impact on road pollution, but it's a novel idea at least and I think it has some merits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jul 10 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

And when you get downsized, It's ideal for garden leave!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 10 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 10 2014, 08:09 PM) *
I've not thought in any detail about the economics of it and top of my head I'd guess that the cost of an alloffice would need to be in the £500/year bracket, though that would include the shed - which obviously would need to be something a bit more office-like than a pine job from B&Q.

It's also not obvious that there would be enough people willing and able to work from an alloffice to make a significant impact on road pollution, but it's a novel idea at least and I think it has some merits.

You also need power, heating and running water. Also in theory it is taking away development land for houses.

So nice idea but probably not practical.

Maybe two people could swap "sheds" and work at each others property thereby getting separation from home.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 10 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Is there not a chance for workers to hit the keyboards during a Nero break.

I have just given away my frackcking home and celebrated with a cappucino.
The place was buzzing with keyboards.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 10 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jul 10 2014, 08:19 PM) *
And when you get downsized, It's ideal for garden leave!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 10 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

....if wanted to use my shed as an office, I'd have to get rid of the tenants first....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jul 10 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Now there's an idea! Thanks mate. The wheels of filthy capitalism grind slow, but exceeding fine.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 16 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Just saw these on the news - 'office pods' - and thought of Simon:

From £25 a week it seems - a lot more than £500 a year.

Cheviot Centre, Glendale Gateway Trust

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 16 2014, 10:32 PM) *
Just saw these on the news - 'office pods' - and thought of Simon:

From £25 a week it seems - a lot more than £500 a year.

Cheviot Centre, Glendale Gateway Trust

Thanks for that blackdog. £500/year was a wild guess, but it's in the same ballpark. £25/week is less than many people pay for their commute so you can see that it could make sense, then add in all the other advantages of not working in the office and working somewhere lovely like the Cheviot Centre, and it definitely has potential. The Glendale Gateway Trust is kind of like the Greenham Common Trust and I could definitely see GCT hosting something similarly pod-like on the common.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I think it's an Armadilla pod - frustratingly the company's web site has crashed - perhaps other people saw it on the news too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 16 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Looks awfully like it - their website is running now.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 17 2014, 05:45 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I must admit 'garden offices' sized an industrial scale like this worry me. We have all the complaints about housing developments in urban gardens and prefabricated homes generally, yet we seem willing accept these. Working 'at home' isn't a particularly new idea - its been around for years; simply the scope and extent has now increased. That's why some of the more expensive older properties included a study. Similarly, in general, London Clubs weren't private pubs; rather places where business was transacted.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 17 2014, 06:45 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 17 2014, 06:45 AM) *
I must admit 'garden offices' sized an industrial scale like this worry me. We have all the complaints about housing developments in urban gardens and prefabricated homes generally, yet we seem willing accept these. Working 'at home' isn't a particularly new idea - its been around for years; simply the scope and extent has now increased. That's why some of the more expensive older properties included a study. Similarly, in general, London Clubs weren't private pubs; rather places where business was transacted.

What's the worry in it for you OtE?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 17 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 17 2014, 07:45 AM) *
What's the worry in it for you OtE?

I think he has a valid point - it is not far removed from having a second home, I wonder how much council tax, water rates etc would be chargeable on these?

They look like recycled rowing boats from the local parks boating lake!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:52 PM