SirWilliam
post Jun 7 2020, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 6 2020, 06:38 PM) *
Yes. They do.

In a Country, (USA), that has an annual murder rate of over 15,000, to get hysterical over one incident, however heinous, seems completely irrational to me. I understand their frustration over having an administration that "appears" to be racially bias but adopting a scorched earth policy in order to bring change is hardly the most sensible thinking. Maybe their collective anger should be taken to the Democrats front door so their voice can count at the polls in November?
If this incident had been a black officer and a white suspect it wouldn't have made 2 column inches in the local rag but the scenario would have been exactly the same.
Now we have thousands congregating in mass protest in this Country, which is probably the most liberal on the planet, and putting the Covid 19 battle back weeks. If, as I understand it, ethnic groups are at an increased risk from this virus why are they putting themselves and their families in harms way? If people can't see the broader picture then we may as well throw the towel in now and embrace mass extinction number 6, or possibly 7. angry.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 8 2020, 04:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

If black lives matter then why do many die in, say Africa, every day from starvation and disease?
Mostly children??

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 8 2020, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 8 2020, 05:03 AM) *
If black lives matter then why do many die in, say Africa, every day from starvation and disease?
Mostly children??

Quite so.

Yes, it doesn't matter who you are, there is something very wrong with American policing and which is vile. It's this that needs sorting.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 8 2020, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 8 2020, 07:43 AM) *
Quite so.

Yes, it doesn't matter who you are, there is something very wrong with American policing and which is vile. It's this that needs sorting.

Not quite sure this is the answer though?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACLUMN/status/1269738051498106880

Community policing? Who can afford the "right" protection?
This will not end up well.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 8 2020, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 8 2020, 07:43 AM) *
Quite so.

It may be an over simplification by someone who is viewing from a few thousand miles away but are the american police not responding to the criminal wave in front of them? I agree it abhorrent to our eyes but if you or your family had been subjected to a vicious crime would you not demand a tough preventative stance? Now it is agreed that the chap who triggered this public outpouring of rage did no more than use a dud banknote but we are missing the point in that if we didn't have criminals we wouldn't need police. So assuming that is a purely theoretical scenario how else do you control a country that arms it's citizens without any thought to the consequences?
Yes the usa is a racially bigoted place run by a bloke who who would make the skin creep on a black mamba but he will not be around for ever, yet previous, and probably subsequent, administrations have yet to address this issue.
But, and as always it is a big but, this is another country and in that respect no worse than china/north korea /venezuela et alia. Which begs the question "Why is it ok to use brutality to control persons of the same skin tone but not of differing colour?" I am not naive enough not to recognise a completely racist motive but tearing down a statue of Edward Colston is hardly going to eradicate that mindset, especially when I very much doubt most americans,or brits for that sake, have heard of him.

The sooner we stop using the word black/african american/ ethnic etc the quicker we arrive at a society that is completely encompassed with equality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jun 8 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

When Greenpeace campaign to save the rainforests. No explanation is required as to why other forests are less important. It's obvious.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 8 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I'd pay to watch this on PPV. I'll be getting some popcorn in for the weekend...😂😂

https://mobile.twitter.com/Holbornlolz/stat...043232924307459

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 9 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/30...inneapolis.html

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 9 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 9 2020, 08:24 PM) *

So, what time does the looting start? #needanewtelly

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 10 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

There's a "protest" in Victoria Park.
Is the statue of said queen doomed??

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 10 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Is this still going ahead?
If so I hope he hasn't got any skeletons in his cupboard!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 10 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 9 2020, 11:03 PM) *
So, what time does the looting start? #needanewtelly

biggrin.gif I feel your pain. Once I have heard the headlines the news goes OFF. Everyone is entitled to an opinion which is why we have little forums like this or larger audiences via "letters to the editor" in the national rags, but bloody hellfire this is getting out of control.
Would it have occurred had we not been in the middle of the ongoing pandemic? Very much doubt it but the BNP and white supremacy factions must be rubbing their hands with unbridled glee at what is unfolding.
Rhetorical histrionics is one thing, ripping down monuments with "public" support is completely unacceptable and ANY politician who advocates such actions is undeserving of office. Where does it stop? Even Stonehenge is at risk if anything that represents oppression is destroyed. They just don't seem to realise that history is something we are all part of and in 200 years time such acts of vandalism will be on a par with Elgin ripping the fresco from the Parthenon or isis destroying the temple of baalshamin.

Anyway will await the banner waving hordes with a little trepidation and a lot of sorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 10 2020, 10:41 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 10:08 AM) *
biggrin.gif I feel your pain. Once I have heard the headlines the news goes OFF. Everyone is entitled to an opinion which is why we have little forums like this or larger audiences via "letters to the editor" in the national rags, but bloody hellfire this is getting out of control.
Would it have occurred had we not been in the middle of the ongoing pandemic? Very much doubt it but the BNP and white supremacy factions must be rubbing their hands with unbridled glee at what is unfolding.
Rhetorical histrionics is one thing, ripping down monuments with "public" support is completely unacceptable and ANY politician who advocates such actions is undeserving of office. Where does it stop? Even Stonehenge is at risk if anything that represents oppression is destroyed. They just don't seem to realise that history is something we are all part of and in 200 years time such acts of vandalism will be on a par with Elgin ripping the fresco from the Parthenon or isis destroying the temple of baalshamin.

Anyway will await the banner waving hordes with a little trepidation and a lot of sorrow.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 10 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The slave traders were simply middlemen.

Odd isn't it, we never hear about those who actually rounded up and provided the slaves.

Wonder who they were.....

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 10 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 10 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Odd isn't it, we never hear about those who actually rounded up and provided the slaves.

Doesn't fit the narrative that all white men are racist, even if they are not. You should be on your knees begging for forgiveness that someone not related to you 300 years ago did a lot of bad things.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 10 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 10 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Mustn't upset our oil suppliers, tut tut. Best thing that happened to Africa was the Atlantic transportation of the 17/18 th century, and before the world and it's dog descend on my house allow me to explain.
Firstly the slave traders from the arabian peninsula had been "harvesting" sub-saharan africa for a millennia prior and most of these poor souls were never seen again which leads to the assumption that it was less costly to replace than care for them.
Secondly. Though the voyage and subsequent employment was dreadful by our present standards it was on a par with european contemporaries and in some cases better.
Finally their children have been born into the richest country on the planet and despite opinions to the contrary the opportunities are boundless. Ask Barack Obama .

I now await the barrage of abuse from the left. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 10 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 06:03 PM) *
Mustn't upset our oil suppliers, tut tut. Best thing that happened to Africa was the Atlantic transportation of the 17/18 th century, and before the world and it's dog descend on my house allow me to explain.
Firstly the slave traders from the arabian peninsula had been "harvesting" sub-saharan africa for a millennia prior and most of these poor souls were never seen again which leads to the assumption that it was less costly to replace than care for them.
Secondly. Though the voyage and subsequent employment was dreadful by our present standards it was on a par with european contemporaries and in some cases better.
Finally their children have been born into the richest country on the planet and despite opinions to the contrary the opportunities are boundless. Ask Barack Obama .

I now await the barrage of abuse from the left. rolleyes.gif

You need to be deported for having views like that. Repent sir, for the sins of some ancestors you were not related to in any way. I take it you won't be on the March in Newbury and chucking Queen Victoria in the Kennet and Avon? Shame on you Sir.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 10 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 10 2020, 06:18 PM) *
You need to be deported for having views like that. Repent sir, for the sins of some ancestors you were not related to in any way. I take it you won't be on the March in Newbury and chucking Queen Victoria in the Kennet and Avon? Shame on you Sir.

Quite happily chuck the whole royal family past and present in the local cut as the number of half decent monarchs can be counted on the fingers of one hand, but I will defend rigorously to retain their position in history as that is the only way we can learn of past mistakes and not repeat them.
What is the difference between shipping slaves and the highland clearances? For the people concerned absolutely nothing but you don't hear the Scots banging on about it. (Well not much laugh.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Jun 10 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 06:33 PM) *
Quite happily chuck the whole royal family past and present in the local cut as the number of half decent monarchs can be counted on the fingers of one hand, but I will defend rigorously to retain their position in history as that is the only way we can learn of past mistakes and not repeat them.
What is the difference between shipping slaves and the highland clearances? For the people concerned absolutely nothing but you don't hear the Scots banging on about it. (Well not much laugh.gif ).

Or indeed the those escaping the potato famine, or Russian programs, taken to work in New York sweat shops, ! Only difference I can see is that they paid for their passage and their eventual 'boss' didn't need to any more for them than dole out a few dollars. Didn't even need to put security in place - always more where they came from.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:46 PM