IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living with noisy neighbours, What would you do?
Bofem
post Mar 25 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

Looks like the Bunk in Curridge is in a spot of bother and may be banned from playing music.. Complaints pretty much from 1 neighbour going back to 1999.

What do you think of people who live next to a pub and then complain to the council about music/shouting etc?

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Mar 25 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

QUOTE (Bofem @ Mar 25 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Looks like the Bunk in Curridge is in a spot of bother and may be banned from playing music.. Complaints pretty much from 1 neighbour going back to 1999.

What do you think of people who live next to a pub and then complain to the council about music/shouting etc?

Depends whether the pub was there before the owner bought the house ? If so what did they expect ? Also get annoyed that people buy houses next to schools and then complain about the parents parking and the kids.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Mar 25 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

It's all about what is reasonable isn't it. It is unreasonable to expect the pub not to playing music however if it is very loud and goes on very late at night then they should expect people to complain and quite rightly.
Conversly someone living next to a pub can't expect it to be quiet all of the time as pubs are noisy places and I guess in hot weather they keep their doos open.
But complaints going back 10 years should have been mediated and settled long ago.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 25 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

It seems (partly at least) that the smoking ban could partly be to blame. Several of the neighbour's moans appear to be about noise from people outside smoking late at night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Mar 25 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Can't open your link can you type the web address please? Thanks

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 25 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Mar 25 2011, 04:48 PM) *
Can't open your link can you type the web address please? Thanks

Here you go. It's a bit of an epic.

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/mgC...D=1490&T=10

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 25 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hey....can anyone at the NWN explain why the Bunk story wasn't handled the same as Purple Lounge this week.

Anyone else more interested in one person's battle to close a pub down than whether 15 year olds can buy a drink in town?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 25 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Bofem @ Mar 25 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Anyone else more interested in one person's battle to close a pub down

I don't think that the neighbours are trying to close the pub down. What they are asking for is a reasonableness in the way the pub is operated. The management have had plenty of opportunity to sort it and as they haven't, they deserve licensing constraints placed upon them. Village pubs are sometimes seen as the focal point of the community. Our pleasant views of such establisments on the soaps tend to foster this idea but in my opinion, this is not a local pub, it is a night club in a village. WBC will be derelict in its duty if it allows this to continue.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 25 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Having read through all that I thnk the complainent is probably being more than fair. My initial reaction was that if you live next to a pub then what do you expect, but that is one heck of a lot of history!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 25 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 25 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Having read through all that I thnk the complainent is probably being more than fair. My initial reaction was that if you live next to a pub then what do you expect, but that is one heck of a lot of history!

I also had the initial view that buying a house next to a pub comes with an expectation of noise etc. However the story here goes beyond that. The smoking ban is obviously causing a major problem in bring the pub noise outside. Couple this with the change of licensing in 2005 that allowed much later opening hours and you have some sleepless nights.

I have to say I have a great sympathy with the neighbours' desire to see the opening hours revert to the traditional 11pm closing.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Mar 26 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 25 2011, 11:37 PM) *
I have to say I have a great sympathy with the neighbours' desire to see the opening hours revert to the traditional 11pm closing.

When have country pubs ever bothered with that! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 26 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Bofem @ Mar 26 2011, 05:14 AM) *
When have country pubs ever bothered with that! blink.gif

After hours drinking was always an option in the village pubs but because most of the villages had a PC on a bike, it was always low key, windows closed and curtains drawn and certainly no loud noise inside or outside.
New licensing laws make it less undercover but I believe that the rules were mainly inteded for town centre pubs where there were limited local residents. Wherever one looks in town these days, noisy drinkers, shouting men and screaming women seem par for the course at all hours of the night. The hubub caused by late night smokers doesn't help as noise levels tend to increase in direct proportion to the lateness of hour and the amount of alcohol imbibed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:22 PM