> Trident
user23
post Jan 31 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 31 2016, 09:03 AM) *
No one is throwing anything around, don't know where you get that idea? We've had the ability to do so for roughly seventy years, don't know of many scorched wastelands around here. Do you? But then maybe that's what it's does, prevents war happening on a nuclear scale. Some of the , and I'll be kind here and call it argument on here, really does border on the hysterical!!
If nuclear weapons are deterrent against attack, how many countries without nuclear weapons have been attacked by other countries with them, since 1945?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 31 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 31 2016, 02:12 PM) *
If nuclear weapons are deterrent against attack, how many countries without nuclear weapons have been attacked by other countries with them, since 1945?

Err, I don't carry a big game rifle either. Still waiting to see someone get eaten by a tiger.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 31 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 31 2016, 04:33 PM) *
Err, I don't carry a big game rifle either. Still waiting to see someone get eaten by a tiger.

Lord Lucan by all accounts....better searching eBay! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 31 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Indeedely doodeley

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 31 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 31 2016, 02:12 PM) *

Loads. Iraq, Syria, Greanda to name three. If Saddam had indeed had nuclear weapons would the US have invaded? Given the threat to Iran was it any wonder they were keen to get them? Seems to me that nuclear weapons are needed to deter the USA.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 31 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Korea, Vietnam?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Feb 1 2016, 08:25 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

Somehow I don't think the US would let us launch Trident on our own anyway.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 1 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (newres @ Jan 31 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Loads. Iraq, Syria, Greanda to name three. If Saddam had indeed had nuclear weapons would the US have invaded? Given the threat to Iran was it any wonder they were keen to get them? Seems to me that nuclear weapons are needed to deter the USA.

Indeed.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 3 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Living in dangerous, unpredictable times.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/...h-korean-rocket

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 3 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 3 2016, 08:09 AM) *
Living in dangerous, unpredictable times.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/...h-korean-rocket

Dangerous indeed. This was the Americans flying a B52 within first-strike range of North Korea, and to be honest I'd be significantly concerned about being invaded by the Americans if I was a North Korean, they do have form, and they look likely to elect that lunatic Trump come November. Quite frankly I'd be concerned about the Americans occupying strategic military sites by force on the UK mainland if we ever tried to assert our independence as again, the Americand do have form, flying sorties from UK bases, and not forgetting their invasion of Grenada, a UK crown dependancy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 3 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 3 2016, 09:12 AM) *
Dangerous indeed. This was the Americans flying a B52 within first-strike range of North Korea, and to be honest I'd be significantly concerned about being invaded by the Americans if I was a North Korean, they do have form, and they look likely to elect that lunatic Trump come November. Quite frankly I'd be concerned about the Americans occupying strategic military sites by force on the UK mainland if we ever tried to assert our independence as again, the Americand do have form, flying sorties from UK bases, and not forgetting their invasion of Grenada, a UK crown dependancy.

So, you'd rather have Ted Cruz? Seriously?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 3 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 3 2016, 05:48 PM) *
So, you'd rather have Ted Cruz? Seriously?

Actually Bernie Sanders looks like a decent enough chap, but my point was really more about not wanting that dangerous reactionary bigot Trump then anything else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 3 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Fine, but do you really expect the Democrats to win? In my book its a solid Republican ticket and Cruz makes Trump look like a moderate genius. If Teddy gets the nomination we're all dead.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 3 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 3 2016, 07:11 PM) *
Fine, but do you really expect the Democrats to win? In my book its a solid Republican ticket and Cruz makes Trump look like a moderate genius. If Teddy gets the nomination we're all dead.

Clucking bell, I hadn't been paying much attention, I'd no idea that there could be someone worse than Trump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 3 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 3 2016, 07:25 PM) *
Clucking bell, I hadn't been paying much attention, I'd no idea that there could be someone worse than Trump.

This guy is the darling of the Tea Party! He cooks bacon by wrapping round the barrel of his ak47! He's a Texan! Madder than a cut snake. Better vote Trump!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Feb 4 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 3 2016, 07:49 PM) *
This guy is the darling of the Tea Party! He cooks bacon by wrapping round the barrel of his ak47!

I would have thought that a scion of the Tea Party would choose a US made weapon - not a 'commie' one

He's a Texan!

Texans are the living proof that Native Americans had sexual conjugation with buffalo...

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 26 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Well, Donald is well on his way now after Nevada. Let's see what Super Tuesday brings. This could be hilarious, I mean, "sorry Mr President but you can't come to Britain because some liberals don't like you, oh dear". Well, there goes our special relationship!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 26 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 26 2016, 12:19 PM) *
Well, Donald is well on his way now after Nevada. Let's see what Super Tuesday brings. This could be hilarious, I mean, "sorry Mr President but you can't come to Britain because some liberals don't like you, oh dear". Well, there goes our special relationship!

Special relationship? Special as in special needs presumably wink.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Feb 27 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

I imagine that, if Trump wins and actually tries to implement some of his more extreme policies (e.g. allowing extreme forms of torture, building a wall across the whole of the border with Mexico) he'd spend his whole term in office fighting the legislature and the Supreme Court.

Having said that, looking at his policy positions as recorded in Wikipedia much of what he apparently supports doesn't look completely daft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump#...tical_positions

As the Wikipedia piece points out, he has been affiliated with the Democrats in the past and if he gets the nomination it's very likely that he will 'pivot' and start promoting policies which are designed to win votes from the Democrats.

Given Clinton's lack of popularity in the flyover states, Trump would give her serious a run for her money and could win so a meeting between President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson is entirely possible within a year.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Feb 27 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Feb 27 2016, 10:15 AM) *
I imagine that, if Trump wins and actually tries to implement some of his more extreme policies (e.g. allowing extreme forms of torture, building a wall across the whole of the border with Mexico) he'd spend his whole term in office fighting the legislature and the Supreme Court.

Having said that, looking at his policy positions as recorded in Wikipedia much of what he apparently supports doesn't look completely daft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump#...tical_positions

As the Wikipedia piece points out, he has been affiliated with the Democrats in the past and if he gets the nomination it's very likely that he will 'pivot' and start promoting policies which are designed to win votes from the Democrats.

Given Clinton's lack of popularity in the flyover states, Trump would give her serious a run for her money and could win so a meeting between President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson is entirely possible within a year.

Nevada just voted for him with 46% of the vote FOR him coming from the Hispanics.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:13 PM