IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Newspaper with Less News..., What's happening with the Newbury Weekly News?
On the edge
post Jul 27 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 09:30 PM) *
But then you miss a whole enthralling page weekly of "Country Matters" or as it should be titled "Farming Propaganda"!

Then you could offer to do one on trains and transport. We have a good few commuters - so quite relevant. The page in 'Metro' which goes on about the Underground has made London appreciate the tube a bit more. And yes, I am being serious!

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 27 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Nothing Much - just keep posting!

Anyone who disagrees simply ought to wonder why newspapers add odd quirky articles.

Frazer Nash cars - haven't heard of them since Grandad passed on!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 27 2012, 09:10 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 27 2012, 09:46 PM) *
Then you could offer to do one on trains and transport. We have a good few commuters - so quite relevant. The page in 'Metro' which goes on about the Underground has made London appreciate the tube a bit more. And yes, I am being serious!

That would be putting my head on the chopping block! laugh.gif
We need to either stop complaining about the railways or do something about it which means spending money.
As soon as that is suggested it is usually lambasted.
Look at HS2.
We are paying the price for decades of under investment most of which was diverted to the roads. Things need to change as road transport is not the magical answer to everything as we though back in the 60's with Beeching, Marples and their plans.

Sorry, I digress..............
Just think farmers have their own publications for this type of thing.
And people who enjoy blasting animals for fun have theirs.
If it was really about country matters in general then it would be of interest to many more and worthwhile publishing.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 27 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Just think farmers have their own publications for this type of thing.
And people who enjoy blasting animals for fun have theirs.
If it was really about country matters in general then it would be of interest to many more and worthwhile publishing.

Absolutely.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 27 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Perhaps the column should be more about agriculture / food production - which ought to be of interest to our market town. Wholly agree it shouldn't be a platform for what are laughingly called country sports. I know several growers / farmers who are against similarly some townies (nice but dim types albeit) who are for.

Wholly agree about rail investment. Marples - who says corruption is a recent thing!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 28 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I'd rather people appealed for a right to reply, rather than wish something was censored. If the Country Matters has something offensive or wrong, then make a statement about it. I doubt Biker1 et al. have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment anyway.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 28 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 01:09 AM) *
I doubt Biker1 et al. have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment anyway.

I have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 28 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 28 2012, 07:49 AM) *

Agree. A right of reply isn't a panecea and certainly not to propaganda well executed.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 28 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 08:15 AM) *
Agree. A right of reply isn't a panecea and certainly not to propaganda well executed.

It is in a democracy, I think, where someone is doing something legal. Censorship because some or many find it offensive is not how we should run things in modern Britain.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jul 28 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Not really relevant i know rolleyes.gif but where has this new term 'Medical Episode' suddenly sprung from when describing some one who has been in an accident. It used to be simply called a Blackout or Felt ill !! Just wondering ! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 28 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 09:30 PM) *
But then you miss a whole enthralling page weekly of "Country Matters" or as it should be titled "Farming Propaganda"!
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Sorry, I digress.............. Just think farmers have their own publications for this type of thing. And people who enjoy blasting animals for fun have theirs. If it was really about country matters in general then it would be of interest to many more and worthwhile publishing.
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 27 2012, 10:28 PM) *
Absolutely.
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 27 2012, 11:27 PM) *
Perhaps the column should be more about agriculture / food production - which ought to be of interest to our market town. Wholly agree it shouldn't be a platform for what are laughingly called country sports. I know several growers / farmers who are against similarly some townies (nice but dim types albeit) who are for.
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 08:15 AM) *

I don't trust your judgement; however, shall we agree to monitor the section and see? Hopefully we can avoid bigotry getting in the way of facts, but you never know; you might be right. By the way, I have no interest in hunting and shooting animals for sport. I think it is cruel and unnecessary.

I have three back issues here I can put my hand on. These are the headlines in order of prominence.

June 21 2012
1 Prince of Wales campaigned for a small price rise farmers get for wool.
2 Surprising endurance shown from migrating birds.
3 Broadband in rural areas.
4 Chairman of Natural England backs GM crops.
5 £1bn investment in whiskey production.

July 12 2012
1 An article on environmental impact of growing food.
2 National Farmers' Union on milk pricing.
3 Cereal yields from the poor weather.
4 Forestry ownership report submitted.
5 Royal Agriculture Collage wants to change its name to Royal Agriculture University.

July 26 2012
1 The impact of the weather on the harvest.
2 The election of a new president for Central Association of Agricultural Valuers.

... I can't wait for the next edition. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Jul 28 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

Valid to whom?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 28 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 09:00 AM) *
I don't trust your judgement; however, shall we agree to monitor the section and see? Hopefully we can avoid bigotry getting in the way of facts, but you never know; you might be right. By the way, I have no interest in hunting and shooting animals for sport. I think it is cruel and unnecessary.

I have three back issues here I can put my hand on. These are the headlines in order of prominence.

June 21 2012
1 Prince of Wales campaigned for a small price rise farmers get for wool.
2 Surprising endurance shown from migrating birds.
3 Broadband in rural areas.
4 Chairman of Natural England backs GM crops.
5 £1bn investment in whiskey production.

July 12 2012
1 An article on environmental impact of growing food.
2 National Farmers' Union on milk pricing.
3 Cereal yields from the poor weather.
4 Forestry ownership report submitted.
5 Royal Agriculture Collage wants to change its name to Royal Agriculture University.

July 26 2012
1 The impact of the weather on the harvest.
2 The election of a new president for Central Association of Agricultural Valuers.

... I can't wait for the next edition. tongue.gif

Do you get out much? laugh.gif

And what do headlines mean - ever thought of reading beyond?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 28 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Do you get out much? laugh.gif

Breakfast amusement!

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 02:00 PM) *
And what do headlines mean - ever thought of reading beyond?

Evidently it is closer to actually reading the column than you or anyone else gave done so far! tongue.gif Which is surprising as Biker1 et al. have already written it off as being irrelevant.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 28 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Evidently it is closer to actually reading the column than you or anyone else gave done so far! tongue.gif Which is surprising as Biker1 et al. have already written it off as being irrelevant.

Doesn't demonstrate that at all. There is a massive difference between reading and understanding - just as there is between promotion and propaganda. Looks as if you are hooked though! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 28 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 02:09 PM) *

I haven't written it off and am sure it is relevant to a minority of readers.
However I fail to see why it warrants a full page weekly spread when it is all about farming and "country sports" and not really about the countryside in general at all.
Just my contribution to the op and why the heading "A newspaper with less news".

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 28 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 04:15 PM) *
Doesn't demonstrate that at all. There is a massive difference between reading and understanding - just as there is between promotion and propaganda. Looks as if you are hooked though! rolleyes.gif

Have you read them them? I have and see none of that which you complain off. I'm not sure which one of us is truly 'hooked' on this. wink.gif

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 28 2012, 05:47 PM) *
I haven't written it off and am sure it is relevant to a minority of readers.However I fail to see why it warrants a full page weekly spread when it is all about farming and "country sports" and not really about the countryside in general at all.Just my contribution to the op and why the heading "A newspaper with less news".

So you think removing the column would bring more news! blink.gif That's screwed logic.

Whether we like it or not, country sports allegedly supported in the paper, are legal, so we have to, if we support democracy, except it. However, like you are when you see people rubbish railways, I think it is a good idea to to try and support your opinion with the truth ... and not 'propaganda'. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Whether we like it or not, country sports allegedly supported in the paper, are legal, so we have to, if we support democracy, except it. However, like you are when you see people rubbish railways, I think it is a good idea to to try and support your opinion with the truth ... and not 'propaganda'. tongue.gif

I do not defend railways I simply try to present the facts.
I agree in the other topic with JeffG his experience was not acceptable and should be addressed.
I was simply putting the facts right as he seemed to blame FGW for all the issues he experienced which was not correct.

Where is my opinion propaganda and not the truth?
The sub heading of this topic if "A newspaper with less news".
The column, in my opinion, is not news and appeals only to a small minority. I am sure there are sufficient letters to the paper, for example, to replace it with an extra page of these.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 30 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 30 2012, 09:06 AM) *
I do not defend railways I simply try to present the facts.
I agree in the other topic with JeffG his experience was not acceptable and should be addressed.
I was simply putting the facts right as he seemed to blame FGW for all the issues he experienced which was not correct.

I agree, but my point is that I think it is only right that one apply such tests on all topics, even ones we don't like. I would like to add that you are clearly a rail advocate, so I think it is a little disingenuous to deny that you 'don't defend railways'. In any case, I think in the main, your 'defence' of railways is usually valid.

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 30 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Where is my opinion propaganda and not the truth?
The sub heading of this topic if "A newspaper with less news".
The column, in my opinion, is not news and appeals only to a small minority. I am sure there are sufficient letters to the paper, for example, to replace it with an extra page of these.

Many letters will contain half truths and political propaganda themselves, so I'm not sure that there would be an improvement in news reported there, although I would like to see more letters. Your stance on country sports is your main motivation for your complaint regards the Country Matters section. You later claimed that it lacks a diverse narrative. Well, I'd counter that the countryside in Newbury district is overwhelmingly agricultural, so I feel if you are correct, it is only right that the section contains a proportional amount of news on that matter.

Your assertion that Country Matters is just propaganda is, on first impression, incorrect, but time will tell. Lets keep an eye on it and we will be able to get an accurate view of the section. As you said, it is important to promote the facts, not fiction or propaganda.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 30 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 30 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Your assertion that Country Matters is just propaganda is, on first impression, incorrect, but time will tell. Lets keep an eye on it and we will be able to get an accurate view of the section. As you said, it is important to promote the facts, not fiction or propaganda.

Well this week Mr. Davies is talking purely about farming and crops and the weather - the normal farmer's bleat.
Who knows, he may be a reader / contributor to this forum and may change his tact after reading this debate?? mellow.gif
Nocola Chester's column on the same page give a more balanced view of the countryside which will be of interest to many more I should imagine?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:02 AM