> Bistro, Reading food blogger has found newbury
Rdg
post Nov 6 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,577

http://ediblereading.com/2015/11/06/brebis-newbury/

For all those people who say they wouldn't go out/shop in Newbury but would go to Reading instead - here is a reason for people to do the reverse
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 6 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Rdg @ Nov 6 2015, 12:53 PM) *

For all those people who say they wouldn't go out/shop in Newbury but would go to Reading instead - here is a reason for people to do the reverse

That was interesting, but when I got to the bit where she said " it has a decent market" I realised that she'd got confused and wasn't in Newbury at all - perhaps she'd gone too far and found herself in Marlborough?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Reading's a toilet and rubbish for driving in or around. It also makes our roads look like free-flowing billiard tables.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 6 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Rdg @ Nov 6 2015, 12:53 PM) *

French cuisine isn't my thing. I'd prefer a variety of vegetarian restaurants but Newbury is quite provincial in this regard.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Nov 6 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2015, 01:49 PM) *
Reading's a toilet and rubbish for driving in or around. It also makes our roads look like free-flowing billiard tables.

A toilet? huh.gif Really?...strange then that it is the second most prosperous town in the country. Have you ever lived there? Do you have a business there? On what criteria do you base your prejudices?

As for our roads looking like 'free flowing billiard tables' - you clearly weren't trying to negotiate the Robin Hood roundabout any time today. It was gridlocked.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 6 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

****! I'm going there! Confit de Canard! Fois gras? My kinda nosh!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 6 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (wabbit @ Nov 6 2015, 04:07 PM) *
A toilet? huh.gif Really?...strange then that it is the second most prosperous town in the country. Have you ever lived there? Do you have a business there? On what criteria do you base your prejudices?

As for our roads looking like 'free flowing billiard tables' - you clearly weren't trying to negotiate the Robin Hood roundabout any time today. It was gridlocked.

So you don't approve of the improvements then? rolleyes.gif

Just wait until they have installed the proposed new junction that is going to serve the new Faraday Road redevelopment that some Council member declares will not have any effect to traffic flow? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I work there rolleyes.gif and I hate everything about Reading: beggars, traffic lights stopping traffic for no apparent reason, pot holes like its been bombed, the worst hospital for access I know, mad road markings (that are worn-out), crazy ad-hoc one-way systems, Cemetery Junction, IDR, etc...

It has one advantage compared to Newbury: greater shopping options.

Try Reading in every rush-hour, or when the M4 shuts.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 6 2015, 06:04 PM) *
Just wait until they have installed the proposed new junction that is going to serve the new Faraday Road redevelopment that some Council member declares will not have any effect to traffic flow? blink.gif

Yes, it is now possible to have many more traffic movements without any affect on traffic flow.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 6 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2015, 08:37 PM) *
Yes, it is now possible to have many more traffic movements without any affect on traffic flow.

Tis majic thy knows

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 6 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

There does seem to have been a major increase in the frequency of RTAs these days - when you get several at the same time it's hardly surprising things snarl up.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 6 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

The grief today was caused by the A4 junction with Fir Tree Lane where somebody, who wasn't doing anything to dig or fill in the hole they had made at the side of the road, coned off the whole inside Eastbound lane reducing the traffic to a single lane. This impacted right the way back to the Robin Hood screwing up traffic from Shaw and from the North and traffic trying to go under the A339.

The journey from the Robin Hood right through to the Garden Centre roundabout at Benham Hill took me 45 mins this late afternoon. If there had been a man on site, I might have asked what was going on but as there wasn't and nobody seemed to be doing anything, I am none the wiser.

Is there any control by the council when this happens.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 6 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 6 2015, 09:06 PM) *
The grief today was caused by the A4 junction with Fir Tree Lane where somebody, who wasn't doing anything to dig or fill in the hole they had made at the side of the road, coned off the whole inside Eastbound lane reducing the traffic to a single lane. This impacted right the way back to the Robin Hood screwing up traffic from Shaw and from the North and traffic trying to go under the A339.

The journey from the Robin Hood right through to the Garden Centre roundabout at Benham Hill took me 45 mins this late afternoon. If there had been a man on site, I might have asked what was going on but as there wasn't and nobody seemed to be doing anything, I am none the wiser.

Is there any control by the council when this happens.

There was a lot more than a single hole causing problems this evening - I was told there was an M4 closure and accidents on A339 by Sainsburys - it was backed up from the A34 at Speen to the Robin Hood.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 7 2015, 07:45 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 6 2015, 10:51 PM) *
There was a lot more than a single hole causing problems this evening - I was told there was an M4 closure and accidents on A339 by Sainsburys - it was backed up from the A34 at Speen to the Robin Hood.

With all the new proposed developments and no planning regarding traffic and other infrastructure, as usual, perhaps it was a trial run on how life will be in the future? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 7 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 7 2015, 07:45 AM) *
With all the new proposed developments and no planning regarding traffic and other infrastructure, as usual, perhaps it was a trial run on how life will be in the future? rolleyes.gif

Not as we know it.

We'll have a fairly minimal rush hour, because as a retirement / dormitory suburb there won't be too many jobs in the immediate vicinity. Shop workers needed for the town centre coming in by the train which is returning after taking the Reading or London office based people in. Leaving the big mass who'll live in the town centre apartments and don't need cars.

It won't be too bad, as the marketing description which kicked off this thread demonstrates!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 18 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2015, 07:29 PM) *
I work there rolleyes.gif and I hate everything about Reading: beggars, traffic lights stopping traffic for no apparent reason, pot holes like its been bombed, the worst hospital for access I know, mad road markings (that are worn-out), crazy ad-hoc one-way systems, Cemetery Junction, IDR, etc...

It has one advantage compared to Newbury: greater shopping options.

Try Reading in every rush-hour, or when the M4 shuts.

Basingstoke is better than both Reading and Newbury combined.

Festival Place is the best thing locally.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:54 PM