IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did we get bombed recently?, Bloody potholes!
Andy Capp
post Feb 14 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I know there's a 'war on' and everybody is skint, and I know that the weather has been a bit poor, but I am getting bloody pi$$ed off swerving all over the roads trying to avoid doing my car in on the bloody potholes everywhere.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 14 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

So here's me in my unpractical vehicle and I manage fine, why da complainin, playa?

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 14 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Yeah but U got dem phat rims aincha bruv!

I think it is self evident: the roads are in the s***est state I can remember.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 14 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I do indeed have the wheels you speak of, old bean.
The A4 is particularly bad considering it's a major road.
However repair works is going to be disruptive regardless of the time of day, people live there - so evening and nights is not practical, and during the day well there is quite a fair amount of traffic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 14 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 14 2013, 07:42 PM) *
So here's me in my unpractical vehicle and I manage fine, why da complainin, playa?

LOL -respect!

+Quote Post
gel
post Feb 20 2013, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

More in NWN on this I see;
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/monster...y-taxi-business

Surprising WBC got away with such small payouts.
I regularly report holes, but find now it can take an age for the infilling to happen.

With all the unemployed, makes one wonder about use of this labour?

Some stretches that WBC see as really bad ieegfrom Stanmore for a 1/2 mile towards the B4494 now has
bumpy road signs at either end; road from Stanmore to E Ilsley is even worse, but not currently signed.
Perhaps they've run out of signs!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

“As a licensed taxi driver, this has not only resulted in damage to the suspension and expensive repairs, but will also cost me and my driver time off the road out of work,” said Mr Taylor.

It resulted, he continued, in a £90 repair bill, along with lost income whilst the taxi was off-road, however he pointed out the pothole was filled within one hour, after he reported it to West Berkshire Council

Aww, didums.
£90, expensive for repairs on a car?
Lol...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 20 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 10:35 AM) *
Aww, didums.
£90, expensive for repairs on a car?
Lol...

And loss of earnings. On top of that, due to the poor state of the roads, people find themselves taking evasive action on puddles and pothole, making driving even more hazardous.

Like I said, I cannot remember the roads being in such a state for a long time.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 20 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 14 2013, 07:29 PM) *
I know there's a 'war on' and everybody is skint, and I know that the weather has been a bit poor, but I am getting bloody pi$ed off swerving all over the roads trying to avoid doing my car in on the bloody potholes everywhere.

My daughter's car went down a pothole and got a puncture. I managed to swerve and miss a few; which leads on to a possible serious accident. And I am not the only one who has swerved to miss a pothole.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I think the word "swerving" is being overused. As a good driver you should be scanning for problems on the surface. Perhaps I do this more than most because of the previous motorcycling experience I have. So I can often see the potholes in good time. So you do not swerve, you rather "swan" between potholes. Especially on regularly travelled routes (so for most of us that's on major trunk roads to and from the shops...) you should "know" where the potholes are.. so you know that opposite the bus-stop there's a nasty pothole..

I'm not defending the council at all - they are joffas and they should fix the road - but complaining about it on here isn't going to do any good.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 20 2013, 12:31 PM) *
And loss of earnings. On top of that, due to the poor state of the roads, people find themselves taking evasive action on puddles and pothole, making driving even more hazardous.

I agree - The roads are in a terrible condition.
Presumably £90 of damage is going to be an hours labour plus parts. I suspect it was even likely just a puncture so cost of a new tyre and fitting! Or failing that, a replacement spring or top mount.
Point is, not much.
I hit a pothole last year on one of my "spirited drives" out over by Aldermaston. It was in the middle of a corner in a national speedlimit. I hit it, and it caused my ABS sensor (controls the ABS and ESP systems) to fail, and also caused wiring damage which in total cost around £150 to fix. Unfortunately things like that happen so I just took it on the chin..

When your BBS Super RS's get a dented dish then you can start to complain (£300+ of damage).

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 20 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 04:05 PM) *
I think the word "swerving" is being overused. As a good driver you should be scanning for problems on the surface. Perhaps I do this more than most because of the previous motorcycling experience I have. So I can often see the potholes in good time. So you do not swerve, you rather "swan" between potholes. Especially on regularly travelled routes (so for most of us that's on major trunk roads to and from the shops...) you should "know" where the potholes are.. so you know that opposite the bus-stop there's a nasty pothole..

I'm not defending the council at all - they are joffas and they should fix the road - but complaining about it on here isn't going to do any good.

I do scan the roads (that is why I saw them and swerved or should I have said manoeuvred out of the way; whatever way you look at it, it depends on the speed you are driving). I also am an experienced motorcycle rider (I have a full licence); I've also got a licence to drive lorries, vans, cars etc. and used to deliver goods years ago.

The routes that have potholes were new routes since the potholes appeared. By the way I've seen many experienced drivers (including professional drivers) either swerving or going over potholes.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

So you either swerved or you moved your vehicle in good time?
To swerve comes across as a more "desperate" maneuver shall I say? Where as to spot the pothole in good time and place your vehicle accordingly would not require "swerving". So are you and these experienced & professional drivers scanning the road of swerving at the last moment?

When you say "professional drivers" do you mean "Taxi-drivers"? Because they are not Professional lol.

Irrespective of how many licenses you have (I have 3, bike, car, and to kill), while new potholes do appear "randomly", the ones that are bad enough to causes damage often take weeks to "develop" into fully grown potholes, with billions and billions of atoms.

You build up a picture or a "local knowledge" of local potholes and places were potholes are likely to occur (for example that one that used to be just outside BP in Newbury).

Local to me, they have very badly filled in the potholes by pouring in what seemed to be mastic or that foamy stuff you put on childrens playgrounds. I wonder how many weeks that lasts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 20 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 04:05 PM) *
I think the word "swerving" is being overused. As a good driver you should be scanning for problems on the surface. Perhaps I do this more than most because of the previous motorcycling experience I have. So I can often see the potholes in good time.

As someone who often mentions their previous Motorcycling experience perhaps you could advise me on how you used to detect & avoid potholes on dark wet nights ( or were you a fine weather rider !! wink.gif ).

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 20 2013, 05:15 PM) *
As someone who often mentions their previous Motorcycling experience perhaps you could advise me on how you used to detect & avoid potholes on dark wet nights ( or were you a fine weather rider !! wink.gif ).

I rode over 20,000 a year, I commuted to Basingstoke and back every day, either going to work in the dark or coming home (shift patterns) - And then weekend pleasure rides.
I had 2 bikes, a STR675 which was my fair weather bike and a Fsz6 which was my daily hack (which had crappy headlights). I managed.

But we are mainly talking here in well light areas (either in the day or in areas where there are streetlights).

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 20 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 05:12 PM) *
So you either swerved or you moved your vehicle in good time?

Yes
To swerve comes across as a more "desperate" maneuver shall I say? Where as to spot the pothole in good time and place your vehicle accordingly would not require "swerving". So are you and these experienced & professional drivers scanning the road of swerving at the last moment?

I did then use the word manoeuvre. But then again I didn't know you were going to be pedantic.

When you say "professional drivers" do you mean "Taxi-drivers"? Because they are not Professional lol.

Actually I've never seen a Taxi driver approaching a pothole. No, I was talking about police drivers, lorry drivers, van drivers and the list could go on.

Irrespective of how many licenses you have (I have 3, bike, car, and to kill), while new potholes do appear "randomly", the ones that are bad enough to causes damage often take weeks to "develop" into fully grown potholes, with billions and billions of atoms.

Oh, I forgot... I cycle... but you don't need a licence for that. As for the rest; yes.

You build up a picture or a "local knowledge" of local potholes and places were potholes are likely to occur (for example that one that used to be just outside BP in Newbury).

If you had read my post you would have noticed that I had said that I manoeuvred when going on roads that I haven't used for ages.

Local to me, they have very badly filled in the potholes by pouring in what seemed to be mastic or that foamy stuff you put on childrens playgrounds. I wonder how many weeks that lasts.

I can't argue with that.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 20 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 05:19 PM) *
But we are mainly talking here in well light areas (either in the day or in areas where there are streetlights).

Were we? You never mentioned that. I was talking night and day.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 20 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 20 2013, 12:31 PM) *

I can't remember the winter weather being so bad for so long! WBC really should have co-ordinated with the Met Office so we had far less rain and snow. Hows the outside painting coming on at your house? Need that out the way before the warmer weather! laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 20 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 20 2013, 05:41 PM) *
I can't remember the winter weather being so bad for so long! WBC really should have co-ordinated with the Met Office so we had far less rain and snow. Hows the outside painting coming on at your house? Need that out the way before the warmer weather! laugh.gif

I don't think the weather this year has been that bad; however, I have not complained once on this thread about the council's performance, so perhaps you would pick another poster to belittle! angry.gif

It still doesn't take away from my view that the roads are in a right state, and I don't remember them being this bad for quite some time! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 20 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 05:19 PM) *
I rode over 20,000 a year, I commuted to Basingstoke and back every day, either going to work in the dark or coming home (shift patterns) - And then weekend pleasure rides.
I had 2 bikes, a STR675 which was my fair weather bike and a Fsz6 which was my daily hack (which had crappy headlights).

A mere novice really then. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 20 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 20 2013, 06:34 PM) *
It still doesn't take away from my view that the roads are in a right state, and I don't remember them being this bad for quite some time! rolleyes.gif

I agree with you 100% Andy.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM