Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's in a name?
On the edge
post Jul 18 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Looking at the thread about holding a meeting it looks like many members want to retain their anonymity. Thinking about it, can’t quite understand why. Does it really mean we aren’t willing to stand by our views? Or perhaps we are in some official position / high fly career where we don’t want ‘off the cuff’ remarks taken out of context? For me, I’ve simply followed convention, yes, another sheep! Anyway, I’m still curious – so what is the issue?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 18 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Looking at the thread about holding a meeting it looks like many members want to retain their anonymity. Thinking about it, can't quite understand why. Does it really mean we aren't willing to stand by our views? Or perhaps we are in some official position / high fly career where we don't want 'off the cuff' remarks taken out of context? For me, I've simply followed convention, yes, another sheep! Anyway, I'm still curious – so what is the issue?

I think a lot of it is fear; they can be brave under a mask (some abusive), but when showing their true identity the crumple. A sheep in wolves clothing.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 18 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

OK OTE, you go first, what's your real name and address?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 18 2010, 10:07 PM) *
OK OTE, you go first, what's your real name and address?

My name is already known on here and GMR is my initials. Now you. And nobody is asking for an address.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 09:56 PM) *
but when showing their true identity the crumple. A sheep in wolves clothing.

Who is, or who are they?

GMR, I think you should be more respectful of people that might have very good reasons. This is voluntary forum, and the hosts have all the details that are needed, should it matter. If people wish to remain anonymous that is their prerogative, but I do think your 'jibes' are unreasonable.

I have no problem making official statements and have done so in the past when it is merited. I do, however, realise some of the potential problems with identity in this modern age, particularly on forums like this. I could easily make a mistake or wish to discuss things that are of a sensitive nature. With the Internet you cannot undo those things.

I have not discussed anything that I would not be prepared to substantiate if necessary, but I enjoy the anonymity so that I may speak my mind without fear of prejudice.

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 10:24 PM) *
My name is already known on here and GMR is my initials. Now you. And nobody is asking for an address.

You make no secret about who you are, and never have done, that is your prerogative. You have chosen to put yourself in the public domain for quite some time now. You must have your reasons, but they are of no concern of mine.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 18 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Hear hear!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 18 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

When using the forum there are no preconceptions. You may be male, female, old or young, fat or thin nobody knows, only your opions count.

Having seen how Bill, Ossy and others are treated on the site because of their occupations, I would rather not give anyone ammunition against me.

Having a go at each other on site is private. Doing the same in front of sections of Newbury in a pub or coffee place is a different matter. Do I want to be shouted down in public - no.

Finally, I might decide I quite liked some of my sparring partners which would take the fun out of the forum for me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Who is, or who are they?

GMR, I think you should be more respectful of people that might have very good reasons. This is voluntary forum, and the hosts have all the details that are needed, should it matter. If people wish to remain anonymous that is their prerogative, but I do think your 'jibes' are unreasonable.

You'll find the reasons are more to do with fear. I agree this is a voluntary forum and nobody has to reveal who they are, but that doesn't change what I said. people want to speak 'freely' because they don't want their true self to be associated with what they say under a cloak of mystery.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 18 2010, 10:39 PM) *
When using the forum there are no preconceptions. You may be male, female, old or young, fat or thin nobody knows, only your opions count.

Having seen how Bill, Ossy and others are treated on the site because of their occupations, I would rather not give anyone ammunition against me.

Having a go at each other on site is private. Doing the same in front of sections of Newbury in a pub or coffee place is a different matter. Do I want to be shouted down in public - no.

Finally, I might decide I quite liked some of my sparring partners which would take the fun out of the forum for me. wink.gif

The trouble is; if people didn't hide behind false names then probably Billy and Ossy wouldn't have been treated badly. It gives people the chance to be abusive, but without the responsibility.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 18 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Perhaps there are a few posters on here with multiple 'forum identities'.... Knowing that three forum names are exposed in the coffee house when just one person turns up might take the fun out of all the trolling..... (There was that accusation not long back...)

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 18 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Have to say - this is pretty well reasoned. Certainly the first line; which mirrors what David Blunkett says is an advantage of blindness. Richard Ingrams of Private Eye would have some sympathy with the last line - he claimed that once a 'victim' had been to a PE dinner; it was difficult to attack them again!

As for the rest, unfortunate but true. I suppose it comes down to manners and even in public, haven't seen much evidence that people are willing to debate fairly and properly. The old Newbury Forum run by WBC was a prime example - simply dreadful. Those meetings must have put some people off local politics for life.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Despite some of the misguided ideas GMR has about people, this is the biggest reason I'd like to remain anonymous. I wouldn't want to be shackled by deference should I wish to disagree. Provided peoples opinions are genuine, that is all that is important.

While I don't think I have done anything that I could be gaoled for, there are some subjects I would like to discuss that I would not wish a potential employer to read. I would also not wish to embarrass people that might suffer from association, should details in certain topics 'fall in to the wrong hands'.

Perhaps people who are happy about being known to members, in fact have nothing worth listening to, or perhaps they are attention seekers, who knows. Anonymity, for me, is unimportant provided the posts are genuine and anonymity gives a voice to people that otherwise might have to remain silent.

Forums shouldn't be the exclusive preserve for the opinionated extrovert.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 18 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 11:43 PM) *
Despite some of the misguided ideas GMR has about people, this is the biggest reason I'd like to remain anonymous. I wouldn't want to be shackled by deference should I wish to disagree. Provided peoples opinions are genuine, that is all that is important.

While I don't think I have done anything that I could be gaoled for, there are some subjects I would like to discuss that I would not wish a potential employer to read. I would also not wish to embarrass people that might suffer from association, should details in certain topics 'fall in to the wrong hands'.

Perhaps people who are happy about being known to members, in fact have nothing worth listening to, or perhaps they are attention seekers, who knows. Anonymity, for me, is unimportant provided the posts are genuine and anonymity gives a voice to people that otherwise might have to remain silent.

Forums shouldn't be the exclusive preserve for the opinionated extrovert.

I agree that in some cases you are correct, but not all. I accepted your reasoning for yourself (which is fair enough) but not everybody has pure motives.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 19 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #14

Guests

Cheers Jayjay, but don't you worry about me, anyway working for WBC could mean I'm anything from a teacher, to a social worker, to a librarian.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 19 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Or Internet watcher! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 19 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 19 2010, 02:19 PM) *
Or Internet watcher! biggrin.gif

No no sir that's a spare time hobby, although sometimes i wonder if it's worth it. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 19 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 19 2010, 05:51 PM) *
No no sir that's a spare time hobby, although sometimes i wonder if it's worth it. rolleyes.gif

Of course it is worth it; we get the pleasure of your company and you get the pleasure of ours.... a win, win... erm.... situation... i think laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 19 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 19 2010, 01:32 PM) *
Cheers Jayjay, but don't you worry about me, anyway working for WBC could mean I'm anything from a teacher, to a social worker, to a librarian.

Not really, I don't know of a single teacer that would consider themselves to work for WBC. I figure social workers wouldn't fall under that umbrella either. In fact a statement so stupid would only come from a brainwashee at West Berks who would actually try to take credit for departments that do well in spite of the council not because of it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 19 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 19 2010, 07:14 PM) *
Not really, I don't know of a single teacer that would consider themselves to work for WBC. I figure social workers wouldn't fall under that umbrella either. In fact a statement so stupid would only come from a brainwashee at West Berks who would actually try to take credit for departments that do well in spite of the council not because of it.

I think that was uncalled for.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 19 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 18 2010, 09:23 PM) *
Anyway, I’m still curious – so what is the issue?
For me I'd rather spend a night out with friends or family rather than a bunch of people I have nothing in common with other than we post on the same internet forum.

Given a small few come across to me as downright strange and socially maladjusted I can't imagine anything worse than spending time with them. No offence meant but that's my "issue", since you ask.
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 19 2010, 07:48 PM) *
I think that was uncalled for.
I'd second that.

It's a great example of while I'll never attend any form meet.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 PM