IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taxi row rumbles on, Council say Police are happy, police say "Keep us out of it"
Richard Garvie
post Nov 24 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Taxi drivers are planning to continue protests as the row about the removal of the Market Place rank rumbles on. West Berkshire Council have said in the paper today that the Police have not raised concerns about any increase in trouble but the police have toldthe paper that they don't want to get involved in a row between the council and taxi drivers.

What we do know is that more incidents are taking place in Wharf Street, and as there is no CCTV coverage in most of that street and in The Wharf, fights and incidents are not being detected.

Once again, if there is no CCTV in The Wharf and the lighting is poor, how can the council insist on pushing large numbers of people who are more than likely lubricated into that area of the town centre? If somebody is seriously hurt or worse as a result of this decision, there will be uproar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Nov 24 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Ah, but they did get involved didn't they?

They ordered the Taxi drivers to get back into the market place after it all kicked off on the Friday night.

Since actions often speak louder than words, by over-ruling the Council and tacitly reinstating the rank in the market, we can only assume that that was where the police felt it should be for the safety of the public at that time. So they sided with the drivers.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 24 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Nov 24 2011, 02:41 PM) *

They ordered the Taxi drivers to get back into the market place after it all kicked off on the Friday night.

Since actions often speak louder than words, by over-ruling the Council and tacitly reinstating the rank in the market, we can only assume that that was where the police felt it should be for the safety of the public at that time. So they sided with the drivers.

I quite agree. The way things have been set out, the counil have moved people into a potentially dangerous situation and need to either bring The Wharf upto standard or moved the rank back. Until improvements are made, the rank should be back in the Market Place, however temporary that may be.

Personally, I think it should never have been moved and I know many feel the same.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 24 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Nov 24 2011, 02:41 PM) *

I disagree... Just because a bunch of argumentative taxi drivers plead loudly (and repeatedly) with Poor Old Plod on duty and stomp their feet and keep saying "But we should be THERE" < pointing to the Market Place > doesn't mean they SHOULD actually be there. If there were a number of them and delays were being deliberately built up by the taxi drivers, with punters waiting for taxis, then our inept Boys In Blue would probably just shrug their shoulders and let them go in there. It's more the fact that they can't be bothered to enforce than displaying any actual show of support for their position...

Anything for an easy life.... "What's all the fuss..."

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 24 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I agree with the above. I also find it totally incredulous that anyone would suggest there was trouble in the wharf because the taxis were there.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 24 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 24 2011, 07:13 PM) *
I disagree... Just because a bunch of argumentative taxi drivers plead loudly (and repeatedly) with Poor Old Plod on duty and stomp their feet and keep saying "But we should be THERE" < pointing to the Market Place > doesn't mean they SHOULD actually be there. If there were a number of them and delays were being deliberately built up by the taxi drivers, with punters waiting for taxis, then our inept Boys In Blue would probably just shrug their shoulders and let them go in there. It's more the fact that they can't be bothered to enforce than displaying any actual show of support for their position...

Is this a factual account of what happened?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 24 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 24 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Is this a factual account of what happened?

Not necessarily. I can't see the police making this decision on 'safety grounds' but I can imagine a scenario where Plod is getting his ears bashed by the constant bleating of drivers and eventually gives in, just to have an easier shift...

If your kids are playing up in public, some parents give in and let them have their sweets, others crack them round the ear and send them to their rooms with no tea.... Personally I think some of the taxi drivers are playing up to the police (and anyone else that's listening). It's about time the police gave them a crack and sent them off to bed....

And anyway.... my putting two and two together and coming up with five is no different from some of the other crap maths on here demonstrated by the supposed "knife fight outside Hog's is directly attributed to taxis being in Wharf St danger zone" nonsense....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 24 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 24 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Not necessarily. I can't see the police making this decision on 'safety grounds' but I can imagine a scenario where Plod is getting his ears bashed by the constant bleating of drivers and eventually gives in, just to have an easier shift...

So you made it up?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 24 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I was stuffing my face on a kebab when this was kicking off.... I wasn't there when they occupied the Market Place though..

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 24 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 24 2011, 08:38 PM) *
I was stuffing my face on a kebab when this was kicking off....

Good lad! wink.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 24 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 24 2011, 08:38 PM) *
I was stuffing my face on a kebab when this was kicking off.... I wasn't there when they occupied the Market Place though..
Chilli sauce?

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Nov 24 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

Must have been blinding.
Talk about blindly supporting the Council, you and User aren't one in the same are you spartacus? it would explain much.
I was outside document house that night. and the old bill stood outside the museum, and as the cabs came round they were waved past into the Market. They were NOT even allowed to stop on that 'feeder' rank thing, they were just ordered straight into the market area. "Get everyone away and gone' was the order of the day. Less time stuffing your face and more time with your eyes open perhaps?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 24 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The key to this issue is the question - why can't the taxis use the old Market Place rank in the evening?

I can't think of a single rational reason why they shouldn't.

Why on earth are WBC so determined that they shouldn't? What difference does it make to WBC?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 24 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 24 2011, 09:59 PM) *
The key to this issue is the question - why can't the taxis use the old Market Place rank in the evening?

Why on earth are WBC so determined that they shouldn't? What difference does it make to WBC?

Hear, hear.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 24 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ Nov 24 2011, 09:36 PM) *
Talk about blindly supporting the Council, you and User aren't one in the same are you spartacus? it would explain much.

Not the last time I looked...

I was outside document house that night. and the old bill stood outside the museum, and as the cabs came round they were waved past into the Market. They were NOT even allowed to stop on that 'feeder' rank thing, they were just ordered straight into the market area. "Get everyone away and gone' was the order of the day.

yeah.... kind of summed our local plod up I thought... Whether they agree or not they're employed to uphold the law. ... and most seem to be clueless when it comes to traffic law.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Nov 25 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Market Place was suppposed to be only four (max) cabs waiting at the rank. This was routinely ignored by the taxi trade. If the taxi trade wants a war, give em one.

Remove all tariffs to create a free market.
Remove all red tape so cabs can be sponsored by business.
Convert all bus stops to taxi ranks at night to split up the single queue.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 25 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Bofem @ Nov 25 2011, 10:30 AM) *
Market Place was suppposed to be only four (max) cabs waiting at the rank. This was routinely ignored by the taxi trade. If the taxi trade wants a war, give em one.

So it's all about revenge, teaching the upstarts a lesson - pathetic. I was asking for a good reason.

If they really have a good reason to limit the rank to 4 cabs (why not 5, 6, 7, ...?) then pass a bye law allowing them them to fine offenders driving cab 5, 6, etc. Stick a CCTV camera on the rank for enforcement (no hang-on, they haven't got the CCTV capacity to do that have they).

QUOTE (Bofem @ Nov 25 2011, 10:30 AM) *
Remove all tariffs to create a free market.
Remove all red tape so cabs can be sponsored by business.
Convert all bus stops to taxi ranks at night to split up the single queue.

I'm not sure what tariffs you are referring to. Licensing?

I am in favour of regulation to ensure that decent standards are met (safety, security) - which will impose some red tape and expense. But I have no problems with sponsorship.

The bus stops idea seems a very good one - once the buses stop running, whenever that is.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 25 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

"Get everyone away and gone' was the order of the day.

+Quote Post
John C
post Jan 1 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

No diference at all but WBC have made a decision that mainly effects the residents of Newbury by people who mostly don't live in the area so are not seriously affected by it, but take great delight in doing things just because they can and the will not reverse it and lose face, when the decision was made, going by there own paperwork, before the consoltation was held, even when it is plainly stupid and not to the likeing of the majority of the residents.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 1 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (John C @ Jan 1 2012, 07:52 PM) *
No diference at all but WBC have made a decision that mainly effects the residents of Newbury by people who mostly don't live in the area so are not seriously affected by it, but take great delight in doing things just because they can and the will not reverse it and lose face, when the decision was made, going by there own paperwork, before the consoltation was held, even when it is plainly stupid and not to the likeing of the majority of the residents.

I was informed they wanted the Market Place to be a cafe area with all the bars and pubs supplying tables chairs etc so that people could sit out and have a meal and drink etc without the line of taxis getting in the way.

The cafe idea turned out to be a damp squib and never materialised, it would have only worked for a couple of months at the height of summer even during decent weather, none of the establishments could find a way to make the service work and at a profit apparently?

As you so rightly say once the council have made a decision there is no going back. As most of the councillors have little knowledge of Newbury apart from popping in occasionally for meetings etc then as you say it doesn't affect them and as for listening to residents, they don't, its a case of they know best.

So we have and area that has cost a not inconsiderable amount to cobble together, pun intended, and it is left vacant except for the Charter Market, dwindling, most of the time! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:00 AM