> Dumped sofas
Jacklets
post Sep 13 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14511

Well if no one wants them I'll have them - they'll look nice on the front lawn and take the eye away from the broken washing machine that currently sits there, plus being leather it'll give the place a touch of class!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
GMR
post Sep 13 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Dumbing furniture etc is a common occurrence. Next to where I live furniture is often dumped. The reason is because to collect old rubbish will cost £25 to have it removed and in times of austerity people are not going to pay that out. Dumping is cheaper. I've seen such dumping's increasing over the last couple of months.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 13 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Apparently, fly-tipping is on the decrease, but I don't know about people 'dumping in their own garden'.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14468

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 13 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 13 2010, 05:28 PM) *
Apparently, fly-tipping is on the decrease, but I don't know about people 'dumping in their own garden'.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14468

That surprises me. From observation it seems on the increase. Maybe some areas are worse than others.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 13 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Just worked out that it would be cheaper get a taxi to the waste depot than call WBC.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 13 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

... but how many taxis will take a sofa?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 13 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 13 2010, 07:15 PM) *
... but how many taxis will take a sofa?

If you do what most do then wait until night-falls and dump it in the street and police come along and it is removed. Or dump it in the flats and because nobody knows who has dumped it then they take it for free.

+Quote Post
Alice
post Sep 14 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 795

In the story posted on Newbury Today it says: "..."a very distinctive" blue R registration VW van was seen parked in the woods nearby..."

If this was the van used to dump the sofa, I don't understand why the driver did not drive it to the tip - it makes no sense.

Alternatively, they could have listed it for free in the NWN classifieds section and made some money, or called The Furniture Project and asked them to collect it.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Sep 14 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (Alice @ Sep 14 2010, 10:59 AM) *
In the story posted on Newbury Today it says: "..."a very distinctive" blue R registration VW van was seen parked in the woods nearby..."

If this was the van used to dump the sofa, I don't understand why the driver did not drive it to the tip - it makes no sense.

Alternatively, they could have listed it for free in the NWN classifieds section and made some money, or called The Furniture Project and asked them to collect it.

The CFP (Community Furniture Project) request a 'voluntary' donation of £15 to cover the cost of collecting furniture. Luckily, I managed to sell my piece of furniture for £20 just as I was about to donate it!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 14 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Unsure of the current rules, but vans were charged for using the site, even if it was household rubbish. It looks as if there is a height barrier too.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 14 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Simple.

If you turn up in a van, that's classed as trade waste and they shouldn't let you dump there. Also, if the van is more than 6'6" tall, it won't fit under the hight restriction.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 14 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

I turned up in a large rental van full of rubble, old sheds, glass metal and loads of other junk and rubbish after a house clear out. They only asked if I was commercial on my 3rd trip and happily let me continue on after confirmation I wasn't.

They also kindly opened the gate as I was a little too "tall" to fit under.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Sep 14 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (JMH @ Sep 14 2010, 11:03 AM) *
The CFP (Community Furniture Project) request a 'voluntary' donation of £15 to cover the cost of collecting furniture. Luckily, I managed to sell my piece of furniture for £20 just as I was about to donate it!

When you say 'request' does that mean they still will collect even if you have not got such monies? My mother who is a pensioner has some items she wants to donate to a charity.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 14 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Sep 14 2010, 05:00 PM) *
When you say 'request' does that mean they still will collect even if you have not got such monies? My mother who is a pensioner has some items she wants to donate to a charity.

The British Heart Foundation came and collected my mother's 3 piece suite last week and will collect large items for free as long as they are in a saleable state...

http://www.bhf.org.uk/shop_with_bhf/our_sh...ting_goods.aspx

http://www.bhf.org.uk/surveys/BigDonationFE.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 14 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Sep 14 2010, 06:45 PM) *
The British Heart Foundation came and collected my mother's 3 piece suite last week and will collect large items for free as long as they are in a saleable state...

http://www.bhf.org.uk/shop_with_bhf/our_sh...ting_goods.aspx

http://www.bhf.org.uk/surveys/BigDonationFE.html

Funny you should mention them as they've just come to my house and collected a load of stuff. Too much for the drivers van so he will come on Thursday. At least it is going to a good cause.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Sep 15 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Sep 14 2010, 05:00 PM) *

The website does underline 'voluntary' so I would assume they will still collect if you don't make one.

Also, as other posters have put, the BHF have a man with a van who will come and fetch stuff. Great service, I donated half of my attic to them! :-) All good clean and useable stuff I hasten to add! The other half of the attic was junk which I took to the dump.

+Quote Post
onegoodturn
post Sep 16 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 242

Hello,

I work for the Community Furniture Project (Newbury). I just wanted to confirm that we are always happy to collect items whether or not a voluntary donation to the cost of collecting items is made - we pride ourselves on being open and accessible to all.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 16 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (onegoodturn @ Sep 16 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Hello,

I work for the Community Furniture Project (Newbury). I just wanted to confirm that we are always happy to collect items whether or not a voluntary donation to the cost of collecting items is made - we pride ourselves on being open and accessible to all.

Just want to confim and support this. Its a brilliant idea and well worth a vist. My daughter furnished a flat a while back and for once I didn't mind chipping in. It was in good condition when she finished her course a couple of years later - so we just took it back. That's what I call sustainability. And no, I have nothing whatsoever to do with the place personally!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Sep 16 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (onegoodturn @ Sep 16 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Hello,

QUOTE (JMH @ Sep 15 2010, 12:50 PM) *
The website does underline 'voluntary' so I would assume they will still collect if you don't make one.

Also, as other posters have put, the BHF have a man with a van who will come and fetch stuff. Great service, I donated half of my attic to them! :-) All good clean and useable stuff I hasten to add! The other half of the attic was junk which I took to the dump.

Thank you both for that. It is food for thought.

+Quote Post
Brad
post Sep 27 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 954

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 13 2010, 05:28 PM) *
'dumping in their own garden'.

[/url]

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:52 AM